Thanksgiving - etymology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanksgiving - etymology

I'm just wondering if the word "Thanksgiving" and any of its variation (thanks, give, gratitude, etc.) has either a Latin or Greek origin? The only one I was able to find was the Greek word "Eucharisteo" which means Eucharist, is this the only closest connection?

-MG
    ***Using some 6A materials for 2021-2022***

Re: Thanksgiving - etymology

I'm pretty sure "thank" is of Germanic origin, related to the German "danke". "Give" is likely Germanic, also, as are many single syllable words.
    Jennifer

2018-2019
    R- DS, 10, 4NU

Comment

Re: Thanksgiving - etymology

Gratitude of course is from Latin: gratia, grace, favor, influence; gratiae, thanks; gratus, thankful, grateful; and gratitudo, a medieval word, gratitude. One prominent example of a public thanksgiving in ancient Rome was a supplicatio, as for example the ones in honor of a triumphant commander like Julius Caesar. The temples were opened and people gathered to pray and express thanks for victory.

A Thanksgiving symbol that comes to mind is the cornucopia, Latin for a horn of plenty.

Yes, I think that the word thanks is more related to German danke. Giving is also Germanic in origin, from the verb geben, give.

Incidentally, Cicero wrote that a thankful heart was not only the greatest virtue, but also the mother of all other virtues.

Bonnie
      Last edited by Bonnie; 11-14-2018, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X