Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

multiple flashcard sets for multiple kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multiple flashcard sets for multiple kids?

Would you recommend multiple sets of flashcards for kids in the same course?

Next year I will have a third grader (I think she'll do 3A) and a Simply Classical 5/6. They will both be doing some of the same courses, but possibly at different paces. Specifically, they'll both be doing Latina Christiana, Christian Studies 1, Greek Myths, Timeline program, and States and Capitals. That's a lot of flashcards, especially if you all recommend I get two copies of flashcards. The challenge is that the kids might doing the same course, but the material covered might be different because one is traditional core and one is Simply Classical. I teach my Simply Classical kid by himself, so its not a matter of combining my teaching time.

I'll also have a first grader doing Traditional Spelling 1 and a child doing TS2 with SC 5/6...would you recommend two sets of phonics flashcards? I never really used them with the middle child, so I would have to be strongly swayed to buy another box.

Random question...I was planning on doing Enrichment from 1st grade. I'm thinking that will replace the third grade picture book set. Good idea? Bad idea?

The third-grade American History readers are very similar to the SC 5/6 extended literature set, so I was planning on doing those as well, possibly just as free reading for the kids (and I already have them all).
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Re: multiple flashcard sets for multiple kids?

I think it depends on how you use flash cards and whether you honestly use them or just hope to use them. (I often fall in the grand plans to use them.). My older kids prefer Quizlet. My son in first form gets review words as dictation on the whiteboard because he isn’t that effective with the cards on his own. It also lets me see if he is spelling them correctly (his bigger issue). I just use the book instead of getting out cards.

Some people mix the cards up and have multiple piles depending on whether the student knows the word or needs more work. If that is your style, then I would buy two sets. Many times I just put 3 or 4 lessons of cards on a book ring. That scenario would say you could probably get by with one set even if kids are in different spots.

I have never purchased the phonics flash cards so I can’t speak to those. All I can say is there are A LOT of cards in that set and I can’t imagine trying to find the card I wanted in that deck, let alone keep track of two sets.
    Dorinda

For 2019-2020
    DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
    DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
    DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
    DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

With the 3rd grade plans, you receive the review box download. Each subject has the key facts from each lesson on an index card sized printable (Christian Studies lesson 4, for example.) It seems to me you could do the review box, add in LC flashcards and the Christian Studies memory verses and have a near duplicate set of flashcards. You could create or have the children create duplicates of those as you go along. It would take a little bit of work but save some money and allow you a year to determine what to do as your proceed.

For the phonics flashcards, you don’t usually use the same cards at the same time. I have 3 kids using them (SC-B, SC-1 and TS2) with little overlap. I keep the phonics flashcards organized by the numbers with phonics subheadings in their own box. It sits on the table with all the other daily school things for easy access.

HTH!
      Heidi

2018-19
      dd- 3m
      ds- SC 1
      dd- SC B

Comment

This review box...it's included if I purchase a new 3A guide? And it would cover Greek Myths, Timeline, and Christian Studies? Mama like!

I have a second set of Latina Christiana cards and States & Capitals already so if this review box covered the other things. I might be set. Yahoo!

Random question, again: I've purchased teacher guides for Literature from first, second grade, and third grade. I barely ever use them. Okay, actually, like never. Am I safe to not buy them for 4th grade lit?
        Last edited by Colomama; 11-03-2018, 11:03 PM.
        Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
        DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
        DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
        Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
        Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

multiple kids here, and I DON'T purchase multiple sets of flash cards.

Here's my plan for flash cards ---
          One set for each class, laminated and hole punched, then put them away in a specific location at the end of the school year. (as so not to lose them from one year to the next)

We have the boys in LC right now, using one set of flash cards. Maeve is in first grade, and she's still using the R&S flash cards that I bought Rachel waaaaaay back when. Those things are beasts. <3

I would LOVE for my children to use Quizlet, but I'll be honest. I spend time putting terms in, creating folders, etc, and my kids NEVER use it. Well, not entirely true. Rachel does use it when it's time to start studying for a final, so she uses it for cumulative review.

My children prefer ME (never their dad) to ask them the questions on the cards. I've even tried to have the boys quiz Rachel on her flash cards, while we're in the car, but that went over like a lead balloon. She fussed about their pronunciation, etc. Oy. I've spoiled them, apparently.
          Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
          DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
          DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
          DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
          DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
          DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

We discovered that we like each child to have their set of flashcards for the Form series. My son in 3rd form still uses his 1st and 2nd Form flashcards weekly. Since I have children currently in 1st and 2nd Form, it became problematic trying to share. For other subjects, sharing has not been an issue even when they take the same course in a year.
            Joyfully, Courtney
            DS13, DS12, DS10, DD8

Comment

We have just one set of all our flashcards. My two kids in First Form are on different lessons, and I just keep track of where they are in the flashcards with rubber bands. I've heard of moms using post it notes in the same manner. It might be nice to have 2 sets of flashcards, but I can think of better uses of our homeschool budget. I usually drill flashcards with them or hand them the stack to review. I'm a bit fanatical about making sure all the cards get put back correctly!
              Holly,
              mom to:
              DD 16 & DS 13--8M
              DD 11 & DD 8--3A
              DS 4--jr. K

Comment

Working...
              X