Math - help - please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Math - help - please!

I have an 8th grader with a strong aversion to math and is struggling. So much so, that this year I did not move her forward into pre-algebra. She knows her multiplication facts, weak with division, and just guessing when it comes to fractions and decimals.

In the past we have briefly used Math-U-See. Last year she worked through Teaching Textbooks but it was mostly spinning wheels and skipping problems that she didn't understand. This year I'm trying Life of Fred Fractions and Decimals books, but we are running up against the same math monster. Math is not my area of strength and, like my daughter, I would rather kiss a plague victim than figure out some math problems!

I am currently using R&S with my 1st/2nd grader and love it. It is creating the foundation for her that obviously my older daughter is lacking. I've thought about just keeping my older daughter with her current curriculum and adding in remedial work, but I need a curriculum and lesson plan to follow for consistency. Thus, I'm considering R&S but think I'll need to pull my older daughter waaaay back in math levels to help shore up her foundation so that she can move forward. However, I have no idea what year would be the best option or if that would even be a good option.

Thoughts and opinions from seasoned R&S math gurus?
    Peace and all good,
    Tricia

2018/2019
    DD, 24, public K-12 and baby stepping toward independence.
    DS, 17, dual enrollment with local community college.
    DS, 15, MPOA Latin, mix of everything else.
    DD, 13, MPOA Latin, mix of everything else.
    DD, 07, MP1/MP2

"Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer."
    ~ Saint. Padre Pio

Re: Math - help - please!

I’m constantly searching the threads for Math advice! I happened upon this one this morning. I found Jen formally of Japan’s comment very helpful. I think it’s #5. She’s very wise <3 Hope that helps!
    https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...ht=Pre+algebra
    ~Sarah~

2019-2020
    DS 8th grade MP, CTP & IEW
    DD 3rd grade MP
    DD 2nd grade MP
    DD 7th grade away school
    DD Sophomore away school

Comment

How funny that a previous post of mine was linked! I was going to comment here anyway.

Yes, in my opinion, your 8th grader simply needs to back up a bit to ground herself in the basics. Let's face it: there are many adult jobs in life that need only arithmetic, fractions, decimals, and percents. Even though we all want to show our home schooled kids are comparable to "away schooled" peers, which might mean trying to get all the way through Algebra II in high school, not every student will feel comfortable doing that. And you *are* homeschooling, right? That means "choices" for you both. Better for your child to KNOW what she knows that to know little of anything mathematical.

So, yes, I do recommend you consider Rod and Staff math for your child. Its emphasis is arithmetic skills, fractions, decimals, percents, making change. But which book? You can go to Milestone Books, the Mennonite publishing arm of Rod and Staff to browse the actual books. I am thinking book 6, so as not to back up *too* far, but you might look at book 5, too. Book 6, worked every school day, and even through the summer, would help. Keep in mind that the first chapter of each R&S math book is only review, and the last 20 or so lessons are simple practice for classroom teachers. I'd recommend you base your decision on chapters 2-13, if that makes sense.

https://www.milestonebooks.com/list/...Living_Series/

R&S math is basic, repetitive, and adds concepts slowly. The books are inexpensive, all things considered. I learned a fantastic hack from this very forum: let your child write in the books if it helps ease the burden of making math practical, straightforward, and executable. I make my son write out some of the problems on paper for practice, and I let him use the whiteboard, too. I look it over, then erase it as I grade his daily work. We are currently using R&S Math 6. It has been a solid preparation *toward* pre-algebra.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Jen
      DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 11 yrs, 6M: complete!

All homeschooled.

Comment

I agree with Jen's advice, especially this: Better for your child to KNOW what she knows that to know little of anything mathematical. and this: Book 6, worked every school day, and even through the summer, would help.

If she works deliberately and successfully through R&S Math6, she should be well-prepared for pre-algebra next year.

Line upon line, precept upon precept....
        Continued focused daily practice. Not excessive, not combative, just steady practice, and the results will come.

Keep us posted!
        Last edited by Cindy in Indy; 10-27-2018, 12:28 PM.
        Cindy Davis
        Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
        ds-25 college graduate: autodidact, working to pay the bills
        ds-23 college graduate: 1st year med school
        dd-21 college senior: Nursing

Comment

Thank you everyone for the input and advise. I have decided that I'm going to purchased the R&S Math 6 and go from there. I absolutely agree that I want her to understand math vs checking of boxes. I can't say that my daughter is thrilled (she would rather ignore and check off boxes), but I'm breathing a sigh of relief knowing that I'm making a good move to back up. I will hop back on here toward the end of the school year and let everyone know how it went.
          Peace and all good,
          Tricia

2018/2019
          DD, 24, public K-12 and baby stepping toward independence.
          DS, 17, dual enrollment with local community college.
          DS, 15, MPOA Latin, mix of everything else.
          DD, 13, MPOA Latin, mix of everything else.
          DD, 07, MP1/MP2

"Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer."
          ~ Saint. Padre Pio

Comment

Working...
          X