Standardized Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standardized Testing

My family lives in Dallas, Texas and we have been using MP curriculums for quite a few years. My kids currently use the 4th grade and 6th grade curriculums. Do you recommend any standardized testing to see how well kids are doing in this area? If so, which one do you recommend? Thank you

Re: Standardized Testing

Highlands Latin School students take the Iowa standardized test (ITBS) in grades K-8. Of this test we only take the Language arts and mathematics portions of the test since our science and history classes do not follow the same order the state suggests.

Michelle T

Comment

My kids have taken the terranova usually around 3rd or 4th grade. We don’t have to, but it made grandma feel better when my oldest was that age. It also provided some important practice in filling in circles. ITBS requires a bachelors degree to administer, and I didn’t feel like going through the hassle to prove it. I’m sure it wouldn’t have been a problem, but I just wanted to order the test and check it off my list that day.
      Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
      15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
      DD College Freshman
      DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
      DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
      DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
        Highlands Latin School students take the Iowa standardized test (ITBS) in grades K-8. Of this test we only take the Language arts and mathematics portions of the test since our science and history classes do not follow the same order the state suggests.

Michelle T
        Thank you very much. We will do the same. What time of year does this take place?

Comment

We try to wait as late in the spring as we can but before students are summer ready! We typically test the around the 3rd week of April.

Michelle T

Comment

The National Latin Exam is another great place to practice filling in bubbles. Students can take the Intro Level starting the year they are in Second Form. Registration is open now at www.nle.org and tests happen mid-March. It's very affordable too!
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
            DS Hillsdale College freshman
            DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
            DD 8th • HLN & Home
            DS 5th • HLN & Home
            Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
            Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

We just took the California Achievement Test because of my own curiousity about where my kids fell in math and language arts (we've never done any skills assessment tests, just the NME and NLE). It is super easy to give as a homeschooler.
              Jodi
              ~~~~~~~
              2019-20 School Year:
              Ethan (7A)
              Matthew (5A)
              Silas (1st)
              Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
              Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

I ordered online. You just have to look at the proctoring requirements and make sure that you fit them. For example, the IOWA test requires you to have a bachelor's degree to administer it.

http://www.setontesting.com/
                Jodi
                ~~~~~~~
                2019-20 School Year:
                Ethan (7A)
                Matthew (5A)
                Silas (1st)
                Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
                Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

We always get ours through Christian Liberty Press. They have an online or paper version of the CAT test. It’s been perfect for us. I can order it at 8:30 in the morning (online version), and we can be starting it by 9am. And you get the results immediately too.

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  2020-2021
                  16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                  DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                  DS, 17
                  DD, 15
                  DD, 13
                  DD, 11
                  DD, 9
                  DD, 7
                  +DS+
                  DS, 2

Comment

Last spring my girls took the Iowa. (They completed all the sections because in Vermont we have to turn in evaluations of some sort for each state-mandated subject area.) My younger daughter did very well--I think 75th percentile or so. My elder who had done *mostly* MP for two years scored in the 99th percentile. Even though the MP science and history scope and sequence is quite different from a "standard" sequence, it clearly didn't hurt her.
                    Heather

DD 9, MP 4A
                    DD 6, MP 2
                    DS 4 & DS 4--going to Pre-K three mornings/week
                    DS 1

Comment

Working...
                    X