Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teaching cursive

Hello!
    This is my first post here. I am using New American Cursive 1 to teach my 1st grade son cursive and plan to keep using MP materials for this. What is the typical pace for learning cursive? Right now, I am just having him do about 1 page a day. Sometimes he tries to write in cursive other times even though he hasn't even learned all his letters and I tell him to stop, mostly because school would take forever if he tried to do that. (He is advanced in other subjects so he does more writing than a typical 1st grader.)

What is the pace for learning cursive and how/when do I transition to him needing to write in cursive? (Personally, I do not have very good handwriting myself and this is one of the subjects I am least equipped to teach!)

What is a good goal for his first year of learning cursive?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by homeschoolmom; 09-18-2018, 01:24 PM.

Re: Teaching cursive

Hello there, and welcome to the Forum!

I am so glad you are finding NAC helpful. It is such a simple way to help kids get going on cursive at a young age - which then helps them be proficient at it by grammar school!

It sounds like your pace is probably great - about a page a day. I don't have a planner in front of me, but going from memory (which is a bit shot at the end of the day!) that sounds just right.

Once your child has finished NAC books I and II, they will be pretty good at cursive and will simply need to continue fine-tuning their skills, which they can do in NAC III. MP also offers Copybook Cursive to help with practice along the way as well. With all this help, students usually find that by third grade they are ready to begin writing more and more of their school work in cursive. It does not have to be an "all-at-once" thing, though. Starting with writing spelling words in cursive, then adding in a subject at a time, can work really well. Usually, I strive to have my fourth-graders writing in cursive for every subject. K-2 is learning/practicing, 3rd is a transition year, and 4th is being ready to go from day one.

Hths!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
      Hello there, and welcome to the Forum!

I am so glad you are finding NAC helpful. It is such a simple way to help kids get going on cursive at a young age - which then helps them be proficient at it by grammar school!

It sounds like your pace is probably great - about a page a day. I don't have a planner in front of me, but going from memory (which is a bit shot at the end of the day!) that sounds just right.

Once your child has finished NAC books I and II, they will be pretty good at cursive and will simply need to continue fine-tuning their skills, which they can do in NAC III. MP also offers Copybook Cursive to help with practice along the way as well. With all this help, students usually find that by third grade they are ready to begin writing more and more of their school work in cursive. It does not have to be an "all-at-once" thing, though. Starting with writing spelling words in cursive, then adding in a subject at a time, can work really well. Usually, I strive to have my fourth-graders writing in cursive for every subject. K-2 is learning/practicing, 3rd is a transition year, and 4th is being ready to go from day one.

Hths!
      AMDG,
      Sarah
      Thank you so much for the very helpful reply!

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!

For NAC Level one the pace is a letter a week. Monday - introduce how to form the letter and complete the first two pages. Tuesday- review proper formation and complete another page. Wednesday-review formation and complete another page, Thursday compete practice sheets and Friday is a comprehensive review/assessment as outlined in the front of the NAC book.

Sticking to learning one new letter a week allows for mastery of formation.

Blessings,
        Michelle T

Comment

Working...
        X