Prima Latina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prima Latina

We are on Week 1 of Second Grade here and having never taught it before I have a question about Prima Latina. Are the workbook pages supposed to be like a test or is it okay for the student to look back at things? Primarily the problem this morning was that my daughter couldn't remember how to spell the Latin words that she was supposed to be writing on the second workbook page (p. 13) I am assuming that it is normal to not know how to spell all of the words or definitions. Should I help dictate them to her once she has given me the answer or should I write them on the board? Or is it okay for her to look back into the book. She knew the words and definition. Though, when I first asked her she couldn't tell me all of the Latin words in order (or out of order without prompting). I guess I'm wondering how much help she is supposed to have for the workbook pages at the beginning of the year.
    --Amanda

DD #1 - 5th
    DD #2 - 2nd

Re: Prima Latina

Hello.

Give her as much help as she needs to master the material. The workbook is her practice, and it is totally fine for her to refer back to her book for help or to use a written list on the board if that is easier. Your goal for her is that she be working toward mastery of the vocabulary throughout the week. If you want to gauge how that is going, you can always dictate the words to her at the end of the week and see how many she knows and can spell correctly. That will help you determine her progress. And it will help prepare her for the upcoming unit tests.

When my students were young, I used the vocabulary flashcards extensively. On Monday, we went through the entire stack that my sons should know and put aside the ones they didn't have instant recall of. Then, we worked on those words all week. This was a manageable way of continuing to work on mastery.

And keep in mind that Prima Latina is an introductory course. All this vocabulary will be revisited in Latina Christiana and again in First Form Latin. So it should be fun in the 2nd grade. No stress allowed!

Tanya

Comment

As I am looking ahead to Review lesson 1 I notice that it mentions "Dona Nobis Pacem." Was I supposed to teach that song sometime in past 5 weeks or is it something new for the review week? It wasn't mentioned in the Lessons 1-5 or at least I don't see it anywhere.
      --Amanda

DD #1 - 5th
      DD #2 - 2nd

Comment

That is referencing a song on the Lingua Angelica CD. If you purchased that program, this is when you would introduce it. The song literally repeats those three words over and over. It is beautiful but simple and easy to master. If you didn’t purchase, just skip that. It shouldn’t be on the test. But, you might want to look up the song just to hear it!

Blessings,
        Michelle T

Comment

This song is also on the Prima Latina Pronunciation CD.

Comment

Thank you both for your replies. I had found the song on the pronunciation CD, but was confused as to why it was listed in the review week. This morning, as I was looking at the back of the Prima Latina book I came across the mention of Lingua Angelica. It states that each review week introduces a song from Lingua Angelica. Now I am no longer confused! I thought since the song was in the review week that I somehow had missed the introduction of the song, when in actuality it was supposed to be introduced that week. Thanks again!
            --Amanda

DD #1 - 5th
            DD #2 - 2nd

Comment

Working...
            X