Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dictionaries for Literature and Classical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jen (formerly) in Japan
    replied
    Re: Dictionaries for Literature and Classical?

Just wanting to clarify a point.

Christian Studies does not have vocabulary words in the way that Literature and Classical Studies does. True, all three have "Facts to Know", but Lit and Classical have separate vocabulary studies, and of course, test questions related to the meaning of the vocabulary words. The dictionary for Lit and Classical studies would be to help the student with the identical definition as the one that will mirror the quiz/test, but also the meaning that is being used in those books.

Christian studies isn't in the category at all.

Jen

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Hello.

I'm planning to do my look-through of the grammar school dictionary next week if all goes well. I've been traveling for the last couple of weeks, so nothing on my desk has gotten done. This is literature only at this point. We haven't started on a middle school dictionary yet. I'm thinking that may be next summer.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied

And some of us are using Famous Men of Modern Times...so thank you for adding that in!

I love this new idea...purely to cut down on number of dictionaries to keep track of!
    AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• 3Blessings
    replied

Originally posted by tanya View Post
    Okay. You guys have convinced me to push this project up in the queue. The advantage to one dictionary for lit and one for classical studies, rather than a dictionary for each year, is that you would only have to buy it once and use it every year. And it mirrors an actual dictionary better - to have the experience of using it for numerous years. I may include Famous Men of Modern Times words too even though we don't have that book in our curriculum. I'd like to fill it out with the entire Famous Men series. And it's better to have lots of words to search through as students become more fluent. It will still be manageable, I feel.

Tanya
    This is one of the many reasons I love MP. It's amazing how much these little dictionaries have revolutionized our school. Having 10-15 minutes for the child to do something independently while I'm working with another student makes a huge difference in the day. Thank you!!

Leave a comment:

• RunnerJoy
    replied

I finally finished adding Anne of Green Gables to the 7th Grade Literature Dictionary.

7th Literature Dictionary .pdf

Leave a comment:

• CatherineS
    replied

Originally posted by makinmemories
    5A/6M Literature & Classical combined dictionary (FMMA, Adam of the Road, The Door in the Wall, Robin Hood, King Arthur) ~

Please forgive imperfections!
    Just printed this! Thank you so very much!!

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy
    replied

Jen,

We are in the process of making a Grammar School Literature Dictionary like the Second Grade Literature Dictionary. It would cover all the literature vocabulary for 3rd-7th grades, so it would be used for 5 years. We could do the same thing for classical studies (Grammar School Classical Studies Dictionary). Would you want anything else in there, or is literature and classical studies enough?

Tanya
    Hmm ---- Christian Studies?

Leave a comment:

• RunnerJoy
    replied

Jen,

We are in the process of making a Grammar School Literature Dictionary like the Second Grade Literature Dictionary. It would cover all the literature vocabulary for 3rd-7th grades, so it would be used for 5 years. We could do the same thing for classical studies (Grammar School Classical Studies Dictionary). Would you want anything else in there, or is literature and classical studies enough?

Tanya
    Tanya,
    When you say through 7th Grade; does that include Ancient Greeks, Ancient World, Great Republic, and Trojan War Literature package? Those all have a ton of vocabulary and it would be nice if they were included. I don’t have an 8th grader yet, does vocabulary continue in those guides? If yes, is there a reason you are not including them?

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Hello.

We will have the part of speech, but I don't think we will include pronunciation. These are pretty common words, and if a student needs a particular pronunciation, you can always go to an actual dictionary.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Okay. You guys have convinced me to push this project up in the queue. The advantage to one dictionary for lit and one for classical studies, rather than a dictionary for each year, is that you would only have to buy it once and use it every year. And it mirrors an actual dictionary better - to have the experience of using it for numerous years. I may include Famous Men of Modern Times words too even though we don't have that book in our curriculum. I'd like to fill it out with the entire Famous Men series. And it's better to have lots of words to search through as students become more fluent. It will still be manageable, I feel.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

replied

Jen,

Tanya

Hi Tanya,

Literature and Classical studies are the only two subjects that require a dedicated vocabulary study, so what you suggest would be lovely. I admit to being intensely spoiled by having 6M words grouped into an 18 page set. However, I could work with the other format, too.

Setting up the "working dictionary" for my son has really improved his independence, (self)taught him some dictionary skills, and helped with our quizzes and tests. Before this resource, he was looking words up in an online dictionary and only sometimes getting the correct definition of the word, since he tends to choose the one word definition choice. This kid is a master of conciseness. However, now that he has the dictionary resource to use, he has stopped fussing about looking the words up, and simply copies the definition as given. Overall, the resource dictionary has made our vocabulary study far more fruitful.

Jen

Leave a comment:

• Floridamom
    replied

Ooo, literature and classical dictionaries sound lovely. I have the lit dictionary for 4th from here on the forum and it has made a great difference in how we make MP work for us. The classical dictionary would make that subject a little more independent (still pretty Mom-directed, though). Its our first year, so I don't know of anything else so vocab intensive.

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Jen,

Tanya

Leave a comment:

replied

Originally posted by makinmemories
    5A/6M Literature & Classical combined dictionary (FMMA, Adam of the Road, The Door in the Wall, Robin Hood, King Arthur) ~

Please forgive imperfections!

Tanya,

I second Enigma's request above. Makinmemories dictionary has revolutionized my homeschool. My son is learning dictionary skills, by having the entire core's Lit and Classical combined which makes him use the guide words and flip pages, while keeping to the mission of KNOWING these words. Without a classroom of peers to share the load of defining his words, having this Core's vocab words all in one slim dictionary has rocked our [homeschool] world. Whether MP would want to publish and charge for the Core dictionary is up to you, but it could easily be a "freebie" download with the purchase of the Core manual. I can't emphasize enough how useful this resource has been to us so far.

Makinmemories, thank you, thank you!

Jen

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy
    replied

Sigh. When you realize you thanked a friend again, months later. Obviously, we're behind in Am History!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X