Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dictionaries for Literature and Classical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dictionaries for Literature and Classical?

Originally posted by RunnerJoy View Post
    Just finished one for The Story of the Thirteen Colonies and the Great Republic.

[ATTACH]948[/ATTACH]
    Ah! Thank you!!
    Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
    DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
    DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
    DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
    DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
    DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Sigh. When you realize you thanked a friend again, months later. Obviously, we're behind in Am History!
      Plans for 2021-22

DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian

Comment

Originally posted by makinmemories
        5A/6M Literature & Classical combined dictionary (FMMA, Adam of the Road, The Door in the Wall, Robin Hood, King Arthur) ~

Please forgive imperfections!

Tanya,

I second Enigma's request above. Makinmemories dictionary has revolutionized my homeschool. My son is learning dictionary skills, by having the entire core's Lit and Classical combined which makes him use the guide words and flip pages, while keeping to the mission of KNOWING these words. Without a classroom of peers to share the load of defining his words, having this Core's vocab words all in one slim dictionary has rocked our [homeschool] world. Whether MP would want to publish and charge for the Core dictionary is up to you, but it could easily be a "freebie" download with the purchase of the Core manual. I can't emphasize enough how useful this resource has been to us so far.

Makinmemories, thank you, thank you!

Jen
        DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Jen,

We are in the process of making a Grammar School Literature Dictionary like the Second Grade Literature Dictionary. It would cover all the literature vocabulary for 3rd-7th grades, so it would be used for 5 years. We could do the same thing for classical studies (Grammar School Classical Studies Dictionary). Would you want anything else in there, or is literature and classical studies enough?

Tanya

Comment

Ooo, literature and classical dictionaries sound lovely. I have the lit dictionary for 4th from here on the forum and it has made a great difference in how we make MP work for us. The classical dictionary would make that subject a little more independent (still pretty Mom-directed, though). Its our first year, so I don't know of anything else so vocab intensive.
            Jennifer

2018-2019
            R- DS, 10, 4NU

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
              Jen,

We are in the process of making a Grammar School Literature Dictionary like the Second Grade Literature Dictionary. It would cover all the literature vocabulary for 3rd-7th grades, so it would be used for 5 years. We could do the same thing for classical studies (Grammar School Classical Studies Dictionary). Would you want anything else in there, or is literature and classical studies enough?

Tanya

Hi Tanya,

Literature and Classical studies are the only two subjects that require a dedicated vocabulary study, so what you suggest would be lovely. I admit to being intensely spoiled by having 6M words grouped into an 18 page set. However, I could work with the other format, too.

Setting up the "working dictionary" for my son has really improved his independence, (self)taught him some dictionary skills, and helped with our quizzes and tests. Before this resource, he was looking words up in an online dictionary and only sometimes getting the correct definition of the word, since he tends to choose the one word definition choice. This kid is a master of conciseness. However, now that he has the dictionary resource to use, he has stopped fussing about looking the words up, and simply copies the definition as given. Overall, the resource dictionary has made our vocabulary study far more fruitful.

Jen
              DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Okay. You guys have convinced me to push this project up in the queue. The advantage to one dictionary for lit and one for classical studies, rather than a dictionary for each year, is that you would only have to buy it once and use it every year. And it mirrors an actual dictionary better - to have the experience of using it for numerous years. I may include Famous Men of Modern Times words too even though we don't have that book in our curriculum. I'd like to fill it out with the entire Famous Men series. And it's better to have lots of words to search through as students become more fluent. It will still be manageable, I feel.

Tanya

Comment

Hello.

We will have the part of speech, but I don't think we will include pronunciation. These are pretty common words, and if a student needs a particular pronunciation, you can always go to an actual dictionary.

Tanya

Comment

Jen,

Tanya
                    Tanya,
                    When you say through 7th Grade; does that include Ancient Greeks, Ancient World, Great Republic, and Trojan War Literature package? Those all have a ton of vocabulary and it would be nice if they were included. I don’t have an 8th grader yet, does vocabulary continue in those guides? If yes, is there a reason you are not including them?
                    Joyfully, Courtney
                    DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

Jen,

Tanya
                      Hmm ---- Christian Studies?
                      Plans for 2021-22

Comment

Originally posted by makinmemories
                        5A/6M Literature & Classical combined dictionary (FMMA, Adam of the Road, The Door in the Wall, Robin Hood, King Arthur) ~

Please forgive imperfections!
                        Just printed this! Thank you so very much!!
                        Catherine

2021-22
                        DS18, 12th
                        DS15, 9th
                        DS & DD13, 8th
                        DS9, 3rd
                        DD6, 1st
                        DS3
                        DS & DS born August 26!

Comment

I finally finished adding Anne of Green Gables to the 7th Grade Literature Dictionary.

7th Literature Dictionary .pdf
                          Joyfully, Courtney
                          DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

Okay. You guys have convinced me to push this project up in the queue. The advantage to one dictionary for lit and one for classical studies, rather than a dictionary for each year, is that you would only have to buy it once and use it every year. And it mirrors an actual dictionary better - to have the experience of using it for numerous years. I may include Famous Men of Modern Times words too even though we don't have that book in our curriculum. I'd like to fill it out with the entire Famous Men series. And it's better to have lots of words to search through as students become more fluent. It will still be manageable, I feel.

Tanya
                            This is one of the many reasons I love MP. It's amazing how much these little dictionaries have revolutionized our school. Having 10-15 minutes for the child to do something independently while I'm working with another student makes a huge difference in the day. Thank you!!
                            ~Michelle

DD 13 (MP 8 - 4FL and Ref/Con through MPOA)
                            DS 11 (MP 6 w/MPOA)
                            DS 5 - MP K (My first Kindergartner with MP!!!)
                            DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

And some of us are using Famous Men of Modern Times...so thank you for adding that in!

I love this new idea...purely to cut down on number of dictionaries to keep track of!
                              AMDG,
                              Sarah
                              2020-2021
                              16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                              DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                              DS, 17
                              DD, 15
                              DD, 13
                              DD, 11
                              DD, 9
                              DD, 7
                              +DS+
                              DS, 2

Comment

Hello.

I'm planning to do my look-through of the grammar school dictionary next week if all goes well. I've been traveling for the last couple of weeks, so nothing on my desk has gotten done. This is literature only at this point. We haven't started on a middle school dictionary yet. I'm thinking that may be next summer.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                                X