Schedule help for first grader and preschooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schedule help for first grader and preschooler

Was looking at the recommended schedule for first grade, and it looks like the school day is supposed to go from about 8 am to 2 pm, with a 15 minute break and then an hour lunch break. I have a first-grader and a preschooler, and I’m trying to figure out the best schedule, where we aren’t doing school all day, but we get it all done. I have an 18-month-old to throw into the mix. Anyone have a similar situation and have genius ideas???? Note, not averse to getting up early. We usually rise around 6.

Re: Schedule help for first grader and preschooler

The schedule in front of the manual is meant for an actual classroom. I can't imagine that 1st grade will take you that long. We did first grade last year in 2-3 hours at most, with a preschooler and an 18 month old in the mix as well! We would start around 8:30am, usually take a 15-30 minute break in the middle of things to go outside and play, and finish up by 10:30 or 11am. My son had plenty of time for free play, reading, and extra activities like nature studies and homeschool gym.
    Central Ohio

2020-2021
    4th year homeschooling - 4th year MP user
    DS 9 - MP 4A
    DS 7 - MP 1
    DS 4 - church preschool

Comment

Oh my goodness! You have no idea how relieved I am to hear this!!! I was perplexed about how I was possibly going to make this work, but what you are saying makes so much sense! Thank you!!!

Comment

You already got your answer, but just an echo to say...use the CG as a tool; don't let it be bossing you around.

When I did MP 1st grade, I also had a 3rd grader, a 3yo, and a baby...and it was our first year doing full MP cores. Even just three years later, writing that out makes me wonder how I managed. Anyway, the curriculum guides and teacher guides are amazing resources, but they don't know your family or your kids, and most/all of MPs materials were originally designed for classroom use. So if you see something like that that gives you hives, definitely ask here and many of us will chime in with how we've adjusted or made it work for our families.

1st grade really is so, so sweet and gentle and fun. Have fun!!
        Jodi
        ~~~~~~~
        2019-20 School Year:
        Ethan (7A)
        Matthew (5A)
        Silas (1st)
        Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
        Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

Thank you everyone! This is so encouraging!

Comment

Priscilla,

Welcome to Memoria! As Carly mentioned the sample schedule in the front of the Curriculum Manual is one that is mostly used by schools. But it can help you to gauge the amount of time spent on each subject within the Core Curriculum. Of course teaching one child will not take the full amount of time suggested, but it can help you to see which subjects should receive emphasis. For First Grade most of your time will be spent in Literature, Spelling and Math. Forum veterans have reported this level taking approximately 2 1/2 hours.

Blessings,
            Michelle T

Comment

Thank you Michelle! This is so helpful! The forum is excellent!

Comment

Working...
              X