Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio Files for Recitations?

Hi,
    We are new to Memoria and homeschooling this year so figuring this out slowly.

Are there audio files available for recitations, scripture verses, poetry, etc? Something similar to Classically Catholic Memory CDs or the songs we all remember (Conjunction junction comes to mind!). I can't find anything in these forums, but I might have missed it. We are doing the recitation / review as scheduled, but I think it would help my oldest in particular - and would teach us both how to do it!

I have children in K and 3A who love to listen to audio books and I was thinking this might be a good way to use car time, or entertaining the two little ones time .

Re: Audio Files for Recitations?

I haven't found anything put out by MP, but we were in Classical Conversations for five years and accumulated quite a few songs for various memory work. Many of those are on YouTube. (Not the ones copyrighted by CC, but ones "written" by families to aid in memory.) We also make up our own, which is an entertaining process. My daughter just finished memorizing the 15 brightest stars and constellations to the tune of "Bippidi Boppidi Boo." It's fun for her and seems to stick better when she has a hand in the tune. I hope that helps!

Comment

Thanks! It does help. I was just hoping for the lazy person's already complied version 😁.

Comment

I get it! I'd love audio like what you're describing that's "official." It does help if the resources are already made. 😊

Comment

Hello.

I can see the benefit of an audio file for the poetry, and that is a possibility one day. But we don't have audio for recitation because that is intended to be the time when your student shows you what he/she knows. It should take place as a rapid fire drill with your student standing at attention. This is a strong starter for your day, and gives the student confidence. It is also individualized as you go along. As your student masters the material, you will begin dropping questions out and only reviewing every now and then. The recitation should only take 5 minutes a day, so you can't ask every question once you have accumulated several weeks. And it may take a little longer at first since you will be teaching the material. But it is intended to be teacher-directed.

Tanya

Comment

Tanya,
            Thank you. I think I may be confusing terms. My oldest is in 3A. He has a weekly recitation in the curriculum guide, and then additional information from each subject (included in the Review Box).

I was under the impression that the facts to know, etc, for each subject are recited in each subject a few times a week, or are they just drilled / spot checked and it isn't a formal recitation like Latin?

Thank you!
            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by julie View Post
              Tanya,
              Thank you. I think I may be confusing terms. My oldest is in 3A. He has a weekly recitation in the curriculum guide, and then additional information from each subject (included in the Review Box).

I was under the impression that the facts to know, etc, for each subject are recited in each subject a few times a week, or are they just drilled / spot checked and it isn't a formal recitation like Latin?

Thank you!
              Julie
              Good morning Julie,

Things are a little crazy hear as we prepare for the start of the school year. Until Tanya is able to post, here is a thread that addresses how the various tools for reviewing can work together. I want to emphasize the word "can" as there is definitely room to tailor your approach to what best helps your students master the material.
              Michael
              Memoria Press

Comment

Hello.

Our third grade teachers have the students highlight in their study guides all the Facts to Know, Vocabulary, and Comprehension Questions they need to know for testing as they teach each lesson. Then, at home, the students and parents review that information regularly so that there is no cramming for tests. And this is the first year our students have ever been tested other than spelling and Latin, so we are easing them in!

Tanya

Comment

Tanya,
                  Thank you - the highlighting is a good idea! It also makes the amount of information (seem) much less daunting.

Julie

Comment

Working...
                  X