Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeschool vs. Nightshift

Hello,

I would love to hear from parents who homeschool and work part time— nightshift. How do you transition your sleep pattern from nightshift back to homeschool during the day?

I’d also like to hear from parents who used to work nightshift but switched to dayshift— What made you end up switching?
    Last edited by Islander; 08-12-2018, 07:29 AM.
    Nievs, blessed to have such thoughtful MP friends

DS12: 7A MP/TWTM
    DS11: 6A MP/TWTM
    DS8: 4A MP/TWTM
    DS5: K MP

“Prayer is the best weapon that we have.
    It is the key that opens the Heart of God." ~Padre Pio

Re: Homeschool vs. Nightshift

I work night shift 2 nights a week, Sunday and Monday. I don't think I could do it if my kids were younger, because I am then brain dead for the first 2 days of the week. It does give me a little more time with them than when I used to work 3 mornings a week, but I don't know how much longer my body can take the constant messing with my clock. Hopefully you will hear from someone who has adapted to a regular night shift schedule with homeschooling.
    Kristin

Comment

I really appreciate you sharing. Yay! I’m not alone! I was all excited in the first 3 months of the job, then one day I felt drained and have not recovered since.

Comment

Nievs,

I meant to answer this a few days ago, but you posted during my work schedule.

Sigh, nightshift.

I've not worked a straight nightshift while homeschooling, but I did midshift in the ER, working 3pm-3am, weekends only. It was rough. I always wanted to get up and get started on Mondays, to force myself back into a more normal routine, but that never worked. By the time I got out of the ER and home, and finally asleep, it would be close to 5am. I'd get up at noon, and the day is halfway finished. It was frustrating to me, and then became compounded later with pregnancies, babies, toddlers, etc.

After about 6 years in the ER on midshift, I'd reached my limit. I switched off to day shift in endo, which worked well, except for CALL TIME. I escaped it in the beginning, because I was on orientation and then on maternity leave, but as soon as I came back from leave, I was in the call rotation. Call and a nursing baby (and other children) is misery. I called it quits at that position after a particularly brutal call weekend --- stayed late after my shift to finish a late case, got home at 9pm; got called back in at 10:30pm; home again at 1am; then back in AGAIN at 0500. At that point, my husband said, "Something needs to change here, ASAP."

So now, I work every weekend in case management. (Sat/Sun)

The switch from nights to days was sanity/health driven. Long term, I don't think night shift work is good for your health.

I know I met a momma at Sodalitas a few years ago who was a nurse anesthetist (it might be Kristen, who commented), who worked weekend nights.

Things I would suggest:

Look at where you can streamline your homeschool. If it's optional, then by all means, get it off your plate. If you have a Cottage School, or means to access the Online Academy classes, these would be very helpful in lightening your load.

Look at more of a year round schedule --- I've tried to do this for a few years, and I'm marginally successful. My children are pretty busy in the summer, so for now, we're going to have to stick to subjects in the summer that they can do independent of one another -- in other words, no classes that I'm teaching them 'together'.

Also, a 4 day school week would help. I just posted about that, because I'm feeling the strain of working and homeschooling. School runs Mon-Fri, then I'm off to work Sat/Sun. Unless I'm missing a secret, that's ALL the days in the week, and I have zero down time. This year, we're looking to streamline a bit, and leave Fridays free so I can regroup and catch my breath before heading off to work.

If you're working weekend nights, I'd consider Monday a total wash. In other words, NO SCHOOL. Rest is underrated in our society, but you've GOT to take care of yourself. Chronic sleep deprivation sets you up for getting sick, and then the wheels come off the bus altogether. Look at ways you can maximize your health. Spend time planning quality, healthy meals for yourself for the weekends, up your vitamin supplements, etc.

Clear your plate of other commitments, even mental ones. Pick a day for appointments and get them ALL on that day --- dentist, pediatrician, eye exams, etc. Ask your medical offices to schedule them back to back, so that you're not making a bazillion trips. I ADORE our dentist, because they see ALL FIVE OF THE CHILDREN at one time. It's an amazing assembly line. My eye doctor is the same way. The pediatrician, not so much, but I love her and give her a pass. (she was a homeschooling momma, too)

I don't volunteer for things, unless they bless my family, or I can do it easily from home. Bringing something to potluck? Girl. I go to Costco or Cracker Barrel. #noshameinmygame
        Costco is my friend, as well as Amazon Prime. I put things on Subscribe and Save, and they show up at my door when I need them.

One of my mantras is --- You can do a lot of things halfway, or a few things really, really well. What are the things that you want to do really, really well? Obviously, homeschooling, and work. You can't be all things to all people.

Lean on your husband --- this is a team game, and all the players have to commit. I know you've heard it a million times before, but seriously, this time is fleeting.

I hope some of this helps. I know we've talked about it before, and I can empathize with your struggles. We're in this together.
        Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
        DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
        DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
        DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
        DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
        DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Re: Homeschool + Nightshift

Hi, Dianna:

Thank you for sharing your tips and encouragement. ❤️

From the last time we talked, I switched from 3 nights to 2 nights. This is better because now we can school 4.5 days instead of 3.5 days. But it’s still night shift and I’m still homeschooling, so that ‘after graveyard’ feeling is still there. There are days where I can shake it off and it’s no big deal, so that’s why I’m still holding on to it.

Now that we have started with 6th grade, the amount of work for the Third Form Latin and the Thirteen Colonies is killing me. We are still adjusting. I have a third grader and it used to be that that’s the tough grade from being in the simple classes in second grade. Well, not anymore. I’m just glad that my third grader is very enthusiastic.

We have streamlined a lot since our first year with Memoria Press- like the ones you mentioned above. When we first started, I did not work outside the home back then. I didn’t start until last year. Also, we do homeschool year round, but that’s because I don’t follow the MP schedule on days whenever a test and new lesson are written. I separate them to different days, or different weeks for the block scheduled subjects. That stretches our school year.

I am open to more tips- like how much memorization is the minimum right now to prepare a student for the MP Highschool Online Academy or a college bound student? Is Latin and literature enough to do memorization? Right now, we memorize everything that involves tests (except math). And it’s a lot.

My boys do well in their courses, and it would not be fair to them if I purposely lessened their work because it’s too much for me the teacher. Is this a sign that I should quit my other job or send my kids to another school?

Comment

Re: Homeschool + Nightshift

Originally posted by Islander View Post
            Hi, Dianna:

Thank you for sharing your tips and encouragement. ❤️

From the last time we talked, I switched from 3 nights to 2 nights. This is better because now we can school 4.5 days instead of 3.5 days. But it’s still night shift and I’m still homeschooling, so that ‘after graveyard’ feeling is still there. There are days where I can shake it off and it’s no big deal, so that’s why I’m still holding on to it.

Now that we have started with 6th grade, the amount of work for the Third Form Latin and the Thirteen Colonies is killing me. We are still adjusting. I have a third grader and it used to be that that’s the tough grade from being in the simple classes in second grade. Well, not anymore. I’m just glad that my third grader is very enthusiastic.

We have streamlined a lot since our first year with Memoria Press- like the ones you mentioned above. When we first started, I did not work outside the home back then. I didn’t start until last year. Also, we do homeschool year round, but that’s because I don’t follow the MP schedule on days whenever a test and new lesson are written. I separate them to different days, or different weeks for the block scheduled subjects. That stretches our school year.

I am open to more tips- like how much memorization is the minimum right now to prepare a student for the MP Highschool Online Academy or a college bound student? Is Latin and literature enough to do memorization? Right now, we memorize everything that involves tests (except math). And it’s a lot.

My boys do well in their courses, and it would not be fair to them if I purposely lessened their work because it’s too much for me the teacher. Is this a sign that I should quit my other job or send my kids to another school?
            Honestly, 6th grade was a SLOG for us, in the beginning. We rallied, but oh gosh, did I spend a few weeks wringing my hands and wondering if we were going to make it. It ended up being fine, and we survived and thrived. Thank goodness.

I tabled American History last year before the school year even started .... and given the struggle we had in the first 6 weeks or so, I'm so glad we did. We're actually doing it this year, in 7th grade.

Memorization ---
            True confession -- we don't memorize anything outside of Latin and Horatius. I likely would not have had Rachel memorize Horatius, but it was a requirement at the Cottage School. (24 stanzas required, the entire 70 stanzas were optional) Hindsight being 20/20, I am SO glad we did this. It was a MOUNTAIN to climb, and she did it all on her own. I was so proud of her. <3

Is there a Cottage School in your area? Or can you swing a class in the MPOA? Having those options is seriously key to my success as a homeschooling momma.

I'm not a good person to ask about quitting your job. I'd walk away in a hot minute if we could swing it financially.
            Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
            DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
            DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
            DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
            DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
            DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Working...
            X