Myself and Others for 3yo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myself and Others for 3yo

Hello! For those of you who have, what are your thoughts on using the Myself and Others Core and read aloud books with a three year old? She’s not ready for Jr K, but I’d like to start something with her this school year. Would it be age appropriate?

Re: Myself and Others for 3yo

I see that you haven’t gotten any responses yet to your question. It could be that there are not many posters here in this part of the Foeum who have used these books yet (they are still kind of new). Maybe try asking on the Special Needs Forum? There may be folks with more experience with them there who will chime in and answer for you. I know there were several of us at Sofalitas who were talking about them as great things to try for THIS year, but we just haven’t used them yet.

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Hi cathemaste,

I am using Myself and Others 2 with my (just turned) 3yo, 6yo and 8.5yo. It’s great. We are currently on homeschool holidays but continuing to do this...in fact, my son who says he doesn’t need to do it cause he’s on holidays never fails to join us anyway.

I would say that M&O2 is probably too old for my 3yo, but look at the guide for selecting a level - Level 1 might be perfect. The other thing is, have you considered Pre-K or SC Level B or C. I’m using Level B with my 3 yo. I’ll use Level C with her next year, then either K or Level 1 (haven’t decided yet). She’s a very bright 3yo without any learning difficulties but it is proving to be a very appropriate, fun learning experience and a lovely time for the two of us.

Hope you find something that works well for you and your child!
      Sarah

Aussies from Sydney, Australia
      Miriam 10yo
      Jonathan 8yo
      Elissa 5yo
      Thomas 2yo
      Caleb 2 months

Comment

I was also thinking of using this with my 4 year old. (Turning 5 in September.)

Could anyone give me a review of what a typical week looks like? I can't really tell based on the samples.

Thanks!
        Cathy
        Cathy aka The Attached Mama
        2019-2020
        DS 12, 7th Grade
        DD 11, 6th Grade
        DS 5, K

Comment

Good morning,

The Myself and Others Level I is a good fit for the Junior kindergarten age. There are weekly tips repeated daily in several categories (Rules, Health, Manners, Safety and Listening) and read aloud books that provide examples of said concepts to be worked on. While all of this would be fine for a 3 or young 4 to participate in, some of the read aloud books will be too long to maintain attention span. Waiting until older 4 or 5 year old might work better. Since each book is 14 weeks both Level I and II can be completed alongside the Junior K program (which is what we plan to do at HLS.)

Blessings,
          Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by cathemaste View Post
            Hello! For those of you who have, what are your thoughts on using the Myself and Others Core and read aloud books with a three year old? She’s not ready for Jr K, but I’d like to start something with her this school year. Would it be age appropriate?
            Good morning. I agree with the suggestion to look at Memoria Press Preschool. Everything will be age appropriate! You will need only the Curriculum Manual ($30) and the books, many of which you will already have or may find at the library. MP Preschool takes only 30-45 minutes daily and works on oral language, love of stories, and more.

We usually start Myself & Others at age 4, as others mentioned, but if your daughter loves to listen to stories and can attend to chapter books, she might enjoy Myself & Others Book One.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAttachedMama View Post
              I was also thinking of using this with my 4 year old. (Turning 5 in September.)

Could anyone give me a review of what a typical week looks like? I can't really tell based on the samples.

Thanks!
              Cathy
              Each day can begin with a review of the hand motions that accompany the visual cues for each category, Rules, Health, Manners, Safety. My daughter & I demonstrated at the recent Sodalitas, so a video may be available soon.

Following the brief review, you teach each category with the visual cue, the hand motion, and the tip for the day. You proceed through each category and conclude with Listening, a read-aloud that often weaves some lessons from the previous categories unobtrusively into story form.

We have a four-day week. Each week the same themes are revisited with slightly new tips for the child to hear and learn. Sometimes role playing is suggested to practice, as when saying "thank you" when you receive a gift, or "I forgive you" when someone has wronged you and says he is sorry.

The next week we have a new set of mini-lessons and a new read-aloud. Book One is very brief, requires no writing or coloring, and may sometimes seem like "too little," but this is intentional for the age of the child. Over time the lessons in Book One accrue and prepare for Book Two, in which the lessons are longer and a little more challenging.

Comment

Working...
              X