Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone planning a 4 day homeschool week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone planning a 4 day homeschool week?

I'm over here, teetering on the edge of Panic Pond, trying to juggle all the things for this fall.

If you are rockin' a 4 day school week, chime in and let me know how it works. I know it would make my school YEAR longer, but I think that's a reasonable trade off for some breathing room.

(cross posted in the SC board)
    Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
    DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
    DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
    DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
    DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
    DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Re: Anyone planning a 4 day homeschool week?

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
    I'm over here, teetering on the edge of Panic Pond, trying to juggle all the things for this fall.

If you are rockin' a 4 day school week, chime in and let me know how it works. I know it would make my school YEAR longer, but I think that's a reasonable trade off for some breathing room.

(cross posted in the SC board)
    Hi Diana!

We have been doing a four day week for several years now. We attend a co-op 28 week’s out of the year on Fridays. We used to just crunch all the week in over four days, but as the kids aged and workload increased, it became too much. So now I take their CM and white out the days of the week and number them instead..starting with 170 and going down, so then they can see how many days of school they have left when we get closer to the end. It gets exciting Our year ends up being about 42 weeks.
    Katie

DS 17: Senior!
    DD 14: 10th
    DD 10: 6th
    Twin DD's 8: 3rd
    Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Comment

Originally posted by Katie View Post
      Hi Diana!

We have been doing a four day week for several years now. We attend a co-op 28 week’s out of the year on Fridays. We used to just crunch all the week in over four days, but as the kids aged and workload increased, it became too much. So now I take their CM and white out the days of the week and number them instead..starting with 170 and going down, so then they can see how many days of school they have left when we get closer to the end. It gets exciting Our year ends up being about 42 weeks.
      KATIE! <3<3

And I just realized --- you weren't at Sodalitas? Or I missed you?(surely not)

This is helpful. I'm going to sit down this weekend and take a look at this idea.
      Plans for 2022-23

DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
        KATIE! <3<3

And I just realized --- you weren't at Sodalitas? Or I missed you?(surely not)

This is helpful. I'm going to sit down this weekend and take a look at this idea.
        I was not.

We were smack dab in the middle of moving and rehabbing our new house. I missed you all! Next year!
        Katie

DS 17: Senior!
        DD 14: 10th
        DD 10: 6th
        Twin DD's 8: 3rd
        Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Comment

On the 4 day school week:

I've done it two ways.

1. Literally "squish" the 5th day in anyway. On your day off/co-op day, still administer the spelling test, etc. The Core manual is light on Fridays, so I assign anything heavier M-Th, then still give the spelling test and Latin Quiz on Fridays. The student does minimal work, but work he does on the "day off".

2. Use Katie's method, but not until later in the year when the work begins to accumulate and it's no longer feasible to "squish". For us, it was around week 10. But, that did allow a few weeks to stay "5 day" before needing to number consecutively. It did help a little bit, and by June, every little bit helped.

Jen
          DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Originally posted by Jen (formerly) in Japan View Post
            On the 4 day school week:

I've done it two ways.

1. Literally "squish" the 5th day in anyway. On your day off/co-op day, still administer the spelling test, etc. The Core manual is light on Fridays, so I assign anything heavier M-Th, then still give the spelling test and Latin Quiz on Fridays. The student does minimal work, but work he does on the "day off".

2. Use Katie's method, but not until later in the year when the work begins to accumulate and it's no longer feasible to "squish". For us, it was around week 10. But, that did allow a few weeks to stay "5 day" before needing to number consecutively. It did help a little bit, and by June, every little bit helped.

Jen
            I like your input, too. I know my kids would be pumped to have a light day or even a 1/2 day on Fridays.
            Plans for 2022-23

Comment

Working...
            X