Weekly Schedules for Children's Assignments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly Schedules for Children's Assignments

I am wondering how folks communicate to their kids what they need to do in each subject each day during the homeschool year. Do you simply photocopy the core curriculum manual for that grade level (with any needed changes) and place it in a binder or folder for each child? Do you write or have them write a simplified version of their daily assignments by subject in a planner? Do you type up a schedule? I would appreciate any advice or tips. In case it helps, I have rising sixth grader, a rising fourth grader, and second grader, and a preschooler. For the older three I am using the classical core curriculum with some modifications as we are transitioning to the core this year. Thus, my kids' daily assignments will vary in some subjects from what the curriculum manual states.

Re: Weekly Schedules for Children's Assignments

I just read the old threads on giving children assignments and giving assignments when you are no longer on track with the MP Guides. Such wisdom in those threads. Thank you! If anyone has anything new to add, I am all ears. If not, I've already gleaned a lot.

Comment

I am writing the day's assignments on a dry erase board. I put things they can do on their own at the top of the list and things to do with mom at the bottom of the list. And then I pray my 4yo doesn't erase it. We all enjoy seeing the list get shorter throughout the day.

I just ordered the HLS planners for my oldest two. Since they prefer to work in their rooms, the dry-erase board isn't as convenient for them. Plus, they can practice keeping track of assignments, which is a great life skill to have.

I'm also writing out the plans in an inexpensive teacher's planner to help me keep things straight. I try to get this done over the weekend. That way I'm not jumping around different weeks in the lesson plans and flipping through all the individual lesson plans for the subjects we've adjusted. We are on week 1 for some subjects, and week 4 for others!
      Holly,
      mom to:
      DD 16 & DS 13--8M
      DD 11 & DD 8--3A
      DS 4--jr. K

Comment

My oldest three are either in or near high school, and therefore are no longer in one single core program. So I get them a planner in which to write their work. My oldest will do it herself, but we found out last year that my son will not - and therefore not keep up on his assignments as well! 🙄. Lesson learned. So as soon as I got back from Sodalitas I jumped right into writing his (10th) and the next girl’s (8th) assignments out for them. Even at what felt like a snail’s pace I was able to get them done in just under a month.

I also use the planner to keep track of weekly grades. The ones we get have a box for reminders/notes from the week, so that is where we write their scores from tests or quizzes. Then at the end of the year I add them up for the grades for their transcripts.

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

For my 6th and 4th grader, I will just give them the curriculum guide to use. For math, since we don't use R&S, I cover that box with an address label or white out tape and write in what they are supposed to do. Or sometimes I get behind and they will write in what they did that day because they pretty much know to go on to the next lesson and they also pretty much know that Mom gets behind sometimes. But, this is also our 5th year homeschooling and our 4th year with MP so they know the drill. At the beginning of the year I sometimes use a highlighter to, uh, highlight the stuff they can do on their own so that if I'm busy with another kid they can move on to the next thing independent task without waiting.

Last year my 3rd grader was pretty overwhelmed looking at all the check boxes in his CG, so I would take a notepad and write his assigments on it so it was visually not as daunting but he could still be in control of checking things off. Like:

--Math, Lesson 10 + speed drill
          --Literature, chapter 7 (DO VOCAB FIRST!)
          --Latin, Lesson 6 review worksheets
          --Astronomy, read pp. 10-12
          --Write spelling words

you get the idea.

Anyway, hope this helps some!
          Jodi
          ~~~~~~~
          2019-20 School Year:
          Ethan (7A)
          Matthew (5A)
          Silas (1st)
          Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
          Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

I printed everything out by subject and put it all in a 3 ring binder with subject dividers for my 4th grader in Simply Classical 4 and Rod and Staff 4. He isn't 100% in the CG, and some things he moves faster on than others. The individual plans lets us not have to keep track of multiple weeks in the CG. I also printed a page with the order of the day. Like 1. Memory work. 2. Myself and Others 3. Christian Studies 4. Cursive 5. Spelling, etc. And posted it on the wall in front of his desk.

He likes having the order in front of him. So far, he hasn't been interested in the printed out details. I also still write the exact problems I want him to do in math on the board.
            Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Evulcarrot - 18, freshman in college, Medical Technology , mild autism
            Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
            Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Comment

Exactly what we did. Subjects individually printed out with dividers. Then, I slipped the daily plan inside the plastic on the front cover. He has a wet erase marker and checks off subjects as he completes them.

I have the whole week's schedule on the front because we don't do every subject, every day.
              DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
              DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
              DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
              Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
              Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

I thank all of you for your wisdom and tips. I could not do this alone, and am so appreciative of your advice and support.

Lauren

(Mama to D 6th; S 4th; S 2nd; S Pre-Pre-K)

Comment

Last year, I used Sarah MacKenzie’s suggestion of a spiral notebook for my first grader. Each day or the evening before I would write down the day’s assignments. She then could mark them off. The idea was to give her a little more motivation and also hope that she would actually get finished during the day. Here is a link to read the article from Sarah MacKenzie. http://https://readaloudrevival.com/spiral-notebooks/
                  --Amanda

DD #1 - 5th
                  DD #2 - 2nd

Comment

Originally posted by JodiSue View Post

Last year my 3rd grader was pretty overwhelmed looking at all the check boxes in his CG, so I would take a notepad and write his assigments on it so it was visually not as daunting but he could still be in control of checking things off. Like:

--Math, Lesson 10 + speed drill
                    --Literature, chapter 7 (DO VOCAB FIRST!)
                    --Latin, Lesson 6 review worksheets
                    --Astronomy, read pp. 10-12
                    --Write spelling words

you get the idea.

Anyway, hope this helps some!
                    I am so glad I read this before ordering! I was going to just order DD a student planner, she's doing 2 Delectare classes and one MPOA, but after considering this I am going to order DS one as well. I think that's part of the problem, he looks at the whole student guide and gets overwhelmed at the amount of text. He would do better with simpler instructions and assignments written out.
                    ~Michelle

DD 13 (MP 8 - 4FL and Ref/Con through MPOA)
                    DS 11 (MP 6 w/MPOA)
                    DS 5 - MP K (My first Kindergartner with MP!!!)
                    DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

Michelle, Time to update to 4blessings for a user name.

I agree that, when possible, giving the student the curriculum plan manual as their "own" is ideal. At only $30 it is VERY worth it. I rewrote assignments for two years before figuring this out. I won't think about how many great books I could read with the time invested (that's a polite word) in that endeavor.

My take is that if your student can use the curriculum planner, try to let them use it.

For subbing in different studies than in the big planner we white out and write over.

I really like Colomama's idea if what you want is to assign the "subject" to be done and your child have the joy of crossing it off--sheet protector or permanent marker on a personal white board (student writes in dry erase). As they get older and need the details, then you end up doing a lot of transferring. If you are doing a lot of transferring, think about how to streamline: shorthand you can use like 3x (3 times), RC (recitation), CW (copywork), etc. Develop your code with your student. You can save yourself some labor.

Best wishes for sorting out the way that it can work this year for you!
                      Festina lentē,
                      Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
                      DS Hillsdale College freshman
                      DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
                      DD 8th • HLN & Home
                      DS 5th • HLN & Home
                      Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
                      Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

For my daughter who could use the Core planner but was overwhelmed by the whole week’s worth of work, I cut a piece of card stock the width of a day-column that we binder-clipped at the top of the page. On Monday the paper was placed over Tuesday and the book folded back so only Monday was seen. On Tues, it was moved to Thursday, book still folded back. Wednesday we flipped the Core over; on Thursday, the paper/clip was moved to cover Friday and Friday it was moved to cover the next week’s Tuesday. It worked like blinders on a horse...the rest is still there but if I can’t see it then I don’t have to panic about it.
                        Last edited by Hahcook; 08-10-2018, 03:43 PM.
                        Regards, Hollie Hoped for 2021/22: DD 2003 - 12; MPOA Austen Lit, Henle I, Senior Thesis DS 2004 - 12; MPOA Tolkien Lit, Christian Latin DS 2006- 9; VideoText Algebra, MPOA: 4FL, HS Comp I DD 2007 - 9, MPOA Common Topic; CTC Math DD 2008- 8A/9; MPOA Henle 1, Common Topic; CTC Math DD 2011 - Core 5 DS 2015- cruising through K over summer, 1st grade in Fall DS 2020 - learning and teaching every day! Using MP complete since 2016-17; bits and pieces for many years previous

Comment

We actually do daily assignments for our kids -- I think a weekly assignment would stress them out (too much, aaack) --- but I might consider that and see how it works.

I write the assignment for the day on a sticky note and put it on the front of the student guide.

Ex:
                          Literature:
                          Chapter 1 reading notes and vocabulary (WITH MOM)
                          Bring your book to the table

Rinse and repeat for all subjects.

It might be time for some streamlining. I like the spiral notebook idea, too.
                          Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
                          DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
                          DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                          DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
                          DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
                          DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

I have 2 daughters that will be in 5th and 7th grade this year. I let them write directly in the curriculum guides. I do have to stay on top of my youngest though, she is check happy and sometimes crosses things off that haven't been done yet, so I make sure to check before her work is done for the day. Since my oldest daughter will be passing down her guide to her sister when the time comes, she checks off in pencil. And for those subjects like latin and EGR(we are behind a year), math (we use CLE), and writing (we use CAP's Writing and Rhetoric), I simply take a mini post-it and cover those boxes in the CG and then write in those assignments in. Have a wonderful day!

Beth
                            DD10 - 5M
                            DD12 - 7M
                            Beth
                            DD12 - 7M
                            DD10 - 5M

"When you're good to others, you are best to yourself."
                            -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I am very different than most of you! I have found that MORE detailed checklists are the key to success in our homeschool. When I very clearly spell out my expectations, I have noticed that things run a lot smoother for all of us.

I equate it to telling a child to clean their room: My idea of what it means to clean your room vs. the child's idea might be VERY different. And sure, I give oral instructions/training on what it means to clean your room, but most children will need a LOT of reminders and encouragement to actually follow those instructions repeatedly. If I just tell the child, "clean your room"--who knows what they might consider clean. On the other hand, if I very clearly say, "Make your bed. Pick up your clothes. Books on shelf. etc."--then I am probably going to get a lot closer to what I am expecting. There are lots of little reminders of what to do and what not to forget.

I think it is the same with homeschooling. Things start out fine at the beginning of the year when we are all fresh and full of good intentions, but our standards can really start to slide after awhile when things get busy. So I have found the detailed checklist to be invaluable for the kids. PLUS---It means I don't have to nag anymore. The tasks are coming from the checklist---not me. It puts them in charge and allows me to be a mama/encourager/checker...not just the magistra / task-master, you know?

So what do I do?
                              I hand my children the core guide....(or their own custom guide with their subjects copy and pasted from the MP lesson plans.) They know it is *their* job (not mine) to get their subjects completed before the end of the day. They have a "routine" (I will use that word instead of schedule since ours is not tied to specific times) that very closely follows the suggested schedule in front of the MP core curriculum manuals. They work from the top of their checklist down that way they get their most important subjects finished first. (I have found that MP is very intentional in the way they set up their core guides---so we typically follow that as a starting point.) This helps them to naturally balance out their time.

Our routine also has built-in time for things I like to do with them. For example, I still have my 5th and 6th grade kids read their literature aloud the first time through. So our routine alternates time where I meet with both of them to "buddy read" their books. I also still like to watch the Latin DVD with them the first time through to make sure they are pausing to repeat/recite and not "spacing out". I also like to do recitation daily. So our ideal routine has a time for all of those things built in. That is the ideal.

However---if there is some type of emergency that pulls us from our ideal routine, and I cannot be there to watch their Latin DVD or buddy read their literature, (and let's be honest--there are always "emergencies" that in a homeschool life!), it is their responsibility to get their work done...not mine. That might mean they have to silently read their literature, or wait until the next day to do recitation, etc. Anything that doesn't happen, I draw a little arrow to the next day on their checklist. No big deal. I also have a time built into our day where I check their work WITH them. This way we can have a discussion about their work. I do very little independent grading. (They actually have a "check and correct" box near all of their subjects so that I don't forget to do it. They remind me so they can finish their school for the day.)

They also do not have to wait around for me to write out their checklists in the morning or tell them what to do. They know ahead of time, and there is enough routine and repetition built into the MP core guides that they very quickly figure out what is expected of them. They can get started right away as early as they want.

I have found that despite my best intentions and all of the planning and preparation in the world, I can be a HUGE bottleneck in our homeschool operation. There is only one of me, and many, many people/things are competing for my time. I am often the front line helping with my unpredictable 4-year-old, the dishwasher leaking water all over the floor, the child who doesn't understand a new math concept, etc. etc. I noticed that there was a lot of wasted time in our day while people were waiting for a turn with mama or some direction. So I tried my best to come up with a process that takes a few things off my plate...(and the writing out of tasks is an easy thing to take off....the dishwasher leaking, not so much!)
                              Last edited by TheAttachedMama; 08-14-2018, 03:12 PM.
                              Cathy aka The Attached Mama
                              2019-2020
                              DS 12, 7th Grade
                              DD 11, 6th Grade
                              DS 5, K

Comment

Working...
                              X