• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    DiannaKennedy

• DiannaKennedy
    replied
    Originally posted by tanya View Post
    Dianna,

Persevere! Latin will not destroy your life! (It just seems like it will.) It is a battle worth fighting. I think I've told you about my son's Henle book that had "I hate Latin" on every other page. Poor Cheryl! And he never made it to AP, but he did make a 35/36 on the verbal portion of the ACT.

(I'm not just saying this to deflect the fact that I don't have Spanish available ...)

Tanya
    You and I may have to go out for coffee. Or wine, depending on the week.

It has been a year of angst, about many things. Primarily math and Latin. Complicated by the fact that we are losing middle school comrades left and right to various schools and moving. I really feel like the Latin issues are a combination of lack of review, time management, and changes in maturity.

We had a discussion the other day, and I explained to her that she will need 2 years of of the same foreign language in high school. I was hoping that by giving her an end point, she would rally.

It backfired on me, jut a bit. Then she cried, "Well, I guess I'll have to switch to Greek!" I had to chuckle to myself at that one.

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    MP Representative

• tanya
    replied
    Dianna,

Persevere! Latin will not destroy your life! (It just seems like it will.) It is a battle worth fighting. I think I've told you about my son's Henle book that had "I hate Latin" on every other page. Poor Cheryl! And he never made it to AP, but he did make a 35/36 on the verbal portion of the ACT.

(I'm not just saying this to deflect the fact that I don't have Spanish available ...)

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy

• DiannaKennedy
    replied
    Originally posted by tanya View Post
    Dianna,

Dorinda asked for Copybook Cursive 4, and I was able to say YES! It is coming! Then you totally burst my bubble. Spanish is still so far, far away.

But thanks for asking. My humility is back on track.

Tanya
    Oh! Please don't let me burst your bibble. ?

I was simply looking for a potential life raft for foreign language. We've been having a lot of Latin angst here as of late.

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    MP Representative

• tanya
    replied
    Dianna,

Dorinda asked for Copybook Cursive 4, and I was able to say YES! It is coming! Then you totally burst my bubble. Spanish is still so far, far away.

But thanks for asking. My humility is back on track.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy

• DiannaKennedy
    replied
    Are there any more updates regarding First Form Spanish?

Leave a comment:

• home4good

• home4good
    replied
    Re: Spanish

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Are you sure we're writing a Spanish program? I think that's a myth In all seriousness, we have had to pause numerous times on this project and have yet to resume. Realistically, we're looking at 2-3 years before "Book 1" would be ready. ¡Lo siento!

As for an alternative program, Cheryl liked Easy Spanish Step-by-Step by Barbara Bregstein. It uses a grammar-based approach, though it presents too much vocabulary too quickly. Cheryl complemented that program with Pimsleur (Just Level 1, I believe.) which has an aural component. Easy Spanish would be for 8th or 9th+; we currently do not have a recommendation for younger grades (beyond, of course, Latin, which will help with any additional language).

Thank you so much Michael! I appreciate it!

Beth

Leave a comment:

• Michael

• Michael
    replied
    Re: Spanish

Originally posted by home4good View Post
    Hello! I know this has been asked numerous times over the years, but my daughters are very interested in learning Spanish as well as their latin, is there any update on a timeframe for the Spanish curriculum? If it is still in the far off future, can someone suggest a curriculum that is similar to how MP teaches Latin in the forms? Thank you so much!

Beth
    DD10 - 5M
    DD12 - 7M
    Are you sure we're writing a Spanish program? I think that's a myth In all seriousness, we have had to pause numerous times on this project and have yet to resume. Realistically, we're looking at 2-3 years before "Book 1" would be ready. ¡Lo siento!

As for an alternative program, Cheryl liked Easy Spanish Step-by-Step by Barbara Bregstein. It uses a grammar-based approach, though it presents too much vocabulary too quickly. Cheryl complemented that program with Pimsleur (Just Level 1, I believe.) which has an aural component. Easy Spanish would be for 8th or 9th+; we currently do not have a recommendation for younger grades (beyond, of course, Latin, which will help with any additional language).

Leave a comment:

• home4good

• home4good
    started a topic Spanish

Spanish

Hello! I know this has been asked numerous times over the years, but my daughters are very interested in learning Spanish as well as their latin, is there any update on a timeframe for the Spanish curriculum? If it is still in the far off future, can someone suggest a curriculum that is similar to how MP teaches Latin in the forms? Thank you so much!

Beth
    DD10 - 5M
    DD12 - 7M
Working...
X