Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spanish

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Spanish

    Hello! I know this has been asked numerous times over the years, but my daughters are very interested in learning Spanish as well as their latin, is there any update on a timeframe for the Spanish curriculum? If it is still in the far off future, can someone suggest a curriculum that is similar to how MP teaches Latin in the forms? Thank you so much!

    Beth
    DD10 - 5M
    DD12 - 7M
    Beth
    DD12 - 7M
    DD10 - 5M

    "When you're good to others, you are best to yourself."
    -Benjamin Franklin

    #2
    Re: Spanish

    Originally posted by home4good View Post
    Hello! I know this has been asked numerous times over the years, but my daughters are very interested in learning Spanish as well as their latin, is there any update on a timeframe for the Spanish curriculum? If it is still in the far off future, can someone suggest a curriculum that is similar to how MP teaches Latin in the forms? Thank you so much!

    Beth
    DD10 - 5M
    DD12 - 7M
    Are you sure we're writing a Spanish program? I think that's a myth In all seriousness, we have had to pause numerous times on this project and have yet to resume. Realistically, we're looking at 2-3 years before "Book 1" would be ready. ¡Lo siento!

    As for an alternative program, Cheryl liked Easy Spanish Step-by-Step by Barbara Bregstein. It uses a grammar-based approach, though it presents too much vocabulary too quickly. Cheryl complemented that program with Pimsleur (Just Level 1, I believe.) which has an aural component. Easy Spanish would be for 8th or 9th+; we currently do not have a recommendation for younger grades (beyond, of course, Latin, which will help with any additional language).

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Spanish

      Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Are you sure we're writing a Spanish program? I think that's a myth In all seriousness, we have had to pause numerous times on this project and have yet to resume. Realistically, we're looking at 2-3 years before "Book 1" would be ready. ¡Lo siento!

      As for an alternative program, Cheryl liked Easy Spanish Step-by-Step by Barbara Bregstein. It uses a grammar-based approach, though it presents too much vocabulary too quickly. Cheryl complemented that program with Pimsleur (Just Level 1, I believe.) which has an aural component. Easy Spanish would be for 8th or 9th+; we currently do not have a recommendation for younger grades (beyond, of course, Latin, which will help with any additional language).

      Thank you so much Michael! I appreciate it!

      Beth
      Beth
      DD12 - 7M
      DD10 - 5M

      "When you're good to others, you are best to yourself."
      -Benjamin Franklin

      Comment


        #4
        Are there any more updates regarding First Form Spanish?
        Plans for 2021-22

        Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

        DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
        DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
        DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
        DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
        DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
        DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

        Comment


          #5
          Dianna,

          Dorinda asked for Copybook Cursive 4, and I was able to say YES! It is coming! Then you totally burst my bubble. Spanish is still so far, far away.

          But thanks for asking. My humility is back on track.

          Tanya

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by tanya View Post
            Dianna,

            Dorinda asked for Copybook Cursive 4, and I was able to say YES! It is coming! Then you totally burst my bubble. Spanish is still so far, far away.

            But thanks for asking. My humility is back on track.

            Tanya
            Oh! Please don't let me burst your bibble. ?

            I was simply looking for a potential life raft for foreign language. We've been having a lot of Latin angst here as of late.
            Plans for 2021-22

            Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

            DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
            DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
            DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
            DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
            DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
            DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

            Comment


              #7
              Dianna,

              Persevere! Latin will not destroy your life! (It just seems like it will.) It is a battle worth fighting. I think I've told you about my son's Henle book that had "I hate Latin" on every other page. Poor Cheryl! And he never made it to AP, but he did make a 35/36 on the verbal portion of the ACT.

              (I'm not just saying this to deflect the fact that I don't have Spanish available ...)

              Tanya

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by tanya View Post
                Dianna,

                Persevere! Latin will not destroy your life! (It just seems like it will.) It is a battle worth fighting. I think I've told you about my son's Henle book that had "I hate Latin" on every other page. Poor Cheryl! And he never made it to AP, but he did make a 35/36 on the verbal portion of the ACT.

                (I'm not just saying this to deflect the fact that I don't have Spanish available ...)

                Tanya
                You and I may have to go out for coffee. Or wine, depending on the week.

                It has been a year of angst, about many things. Primarily math and Latin. Complicated by the fact that we are losing middle school comrades left and right to various schools and moving. I really feel like the Latin issues are a combination of lack of review, time management, and changes in maturity.

                We had a discussion the other day, and I explained to her that she will need 2 years of of the same foreign language in high school. I was hoping that by giving her an end point, she would rally.

                It backfired on me, jut a bit. Then she cried, "Well, I guess I'll have to switch to Greek!" I had to chuckle to myself at that one.
                Plans for 2021-22

                Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

                DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
                DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
                DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
                DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
                DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

                Comment

                Working...
                X