Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I combine Enrichment for K and 2nd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I combine Enrichment for K and 2nd?

My daughter is going into 2nd and son into K. I want to do an Enrichment with them but don’t have time to do both individually. I did all of K with my daughter and part of 1st when she was in those grades. Do I just do the 2nd grade Enrichment and hope my son gets something out of it as well? Do I do K and hope my daughter gets something out of repeating it? Do other people do separate Enrichment for each grade? Help!

Re: How do I combine Enrichment for K and 2nd?

You can absolutely just do one set of enrichment for this year! I would suggest doing the second grade set as written in the second grade plans. Next year just move on to the first grade or kindergarten set, whichever you are already teaching. Those are not age specific, but rather they are basically a unit study per week for any young child. In fact, I think they are very healthy dosage for children of all ages, including their parents! I have learned a lot in the last 6 years of doing primary enrichment.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2020-2021
    11th year HSing · 9th year MP
    @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
    11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I'll have a second grader and kindergartener this year and plan on doing the second grade enrichment with both of them. Looking through the manual it seems like it shouldn't be too much for my kindergartener to handle. I'm glad there's at least one thing I can combine for them because I am not sure how doing the multiple cores is going to work! (cue laughing from the other moms on here who do multiple cores with OLDER children lol!)
      Central Ohio

2020-2021
      4th year homeschooling - 4th year MP user
      DS 9 - MP 4A
      DS 7 - MP 1
      DS 4 - church preschool

Comment

Moms with older kids have older kids who do things like make lunch for littles, help with chores, vacuum, clean toilets, make dinner, mow the lawn...I'll stop. Don't ever feel like the moms of olders look down on those of you in the micromanagement years. <3 We remember, we salute you, we lift our morning coffee to you.

You too will have dinner made for you by your offspring, one day.

Back to the topic--the K-2 enrichment does not ascend in difficulty at all in the three years and can be used indefinitely as a "cycle" in your house. Just think of K=A, 1st=B, 2nd=C. We've been looping for six years and have two more years to go!
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

2020-2021
        11th year HSing · 9th year MP
        @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
        11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I'm doing SC B and MP2 this fall...er...in 3 weeks...and we are not combining enrichment. I would totally combine enrichment with a precocious kindergartener, though. My little guy just doesn't have the attention span for the level of books in second grade. I will say that if you look through, you'll find a LOT of the science/supplemental readers from K are assigned in MP2 enrichment. I'm going to attempt to read some of those books to my pre-K-er, but he had NO interest whatsoever in the Cat in the Hat style science books: too many words too quickly and with a lot of implied meaning.

What we are doing to save time is:

We cut out Grade 2 Crafts--both will do Simply Classical Crafts Book 1...b/c DD can't emotionally handle a craft she isn't part of (LOL)
          We're combining for grade 2 Music (composer study & music appreciation from the book) and art cards in a 2 hr long class taught along with piano and voice for each
          We're combining Bible time (Christian Studies) in the morning at the breakfast table and doing the pre-K-er's coloring and letting the 2nd grader read from The Story Bible as her private devotional time

They will each get their assigned read-alouds & poetry, and do their own copy work, recitation and Bible (plus Latin) memory work.

Ask me how we're doing by mid-year! I have no idea how ambitious this is, but I'd rather get the full effect from the curricula we picked for each of them.
          Mama to 2

Summer:
          MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
          SY 20/21
          4A

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyelaw View Post
            I'll have a second grader and kindergartener this year and plan on doing the second grade enrichment with both of them. Looking through the manual it seems like it shouldn't be too much for my kindergartener to handle. I'm glad there's at least one thing I can combine for them because I am not sure how doing the multiple cores is going to work! (cue laughing from the other moms on here who do multiple cores with OLDER children lol!)
            Heck no, girl.

I'll be doing
            Twin boys in 3A and parts of SC4
            Daughter in 7A
            Daughter in MP1 at HLS
            4yo doing MP Preschool.

I'm supposed to be a 'veteran' ---- entering my eighth year of homeschooling, all with MP, and I'm STILL panicking about how to get it all done. #phew
            Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
            DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
            DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
            DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
            DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
            DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

Working...
            X