Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting late with rod and staff

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Starting late with rod and staff

    I will be starting my son with the first grade core this year. He did not complete the rod and staff kindergarten so will he be behind with the first grade arithmetic? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? I will also have my daughter starting with the kindergarten core. Should I have them both start from the beginning with rod and staff? Thanks in advance!

    #2
    Re: Starting late with rod and staff

    Originally posted by Megmere6 View Post
    I will be starting my son with the first grade core this year. He did not complete the rod and staff kindergarten so will he be behind with the first grade arithmetic? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? I will also have my daughter starting with the kindergarten core. Should I have them both start from the beginning with rod and staff? Thanks in advance!
    MP uses the Rod and Staff Grade 1 over Kindergarten and 1st grade. MPK uses Book 1 + MP Numbers Books. MP Grade 1 reviews book 1 within the first 8 weeks, then moves on and completes book 2. There are 170 lessons in the Rod and Staff Grade 1 Math.

    Your son will likely just need to do 1 lesson a day (instead of following the MP Grade 1 plans)

    Your K'er will only complete book 1, I would just follow the MPK plans for her!
    Christine

    (2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

    Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Starting late with rod and staff

      Originally posted by howiecram View Post
      MP uses the Rod and Staff Grade 1 over Kindergarten and 1st grade. MPK uses Book 1 + MP Numbers Books. MP Grade 1 reviews book 1 within the first 8 weeks, then moves on and completes book 2. There are 170 lessons in the Rod and Staff Grade 1 Math.

      Your son will likely just need to do 1 lesson a day (instead of following the MP Grade 1 plans)

      Your K'er will only complete book 1, I would just follow the MPK plans for her!

      Thank you for your response! That is what I will do. Any advice on the FSR? I am trying to combine as much as possible with the cores. I will just do one enrichment and possibly the same recitation? My son who will be starting MP1 is not reading yet and neither is my K student. Does MP1 review first start reading?

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Starting late with rod and staff

        Originally posted by Megmere6 View Post
        Thank you for your response! That is what I will do. Any advice on the FSR? I am trying to combine as much as possible with the cores. I will just do one enrichment and possibly the same recitation? My son who will be starting MP1 is not reading yet and neither is my K student. Does MP1 review first start reading?
        If your son is not reading yet, he does need to do the entire FSR/phonics from K. If you already purchased MP1, just set aside spelling and Storytime Treasures/More for after completion of MPK phonics.

        As for combining...that depends on your kids! My older two can not be taught together, but my younger two can. I also find in the young years they distract each other so much, that while it seems silly to separate, I actually got more done one on one. So, you will have to decide that one!
        Christine

        (2019/2020)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
        DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

        Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Starting late with rod and staff

          If your first grader is not reading he definitely needs to work through the FSR series before attempting first grade materials to avoid frustration. Whether you teach them together or let the older student move more quickly through the material is up to you and how well the student is mastering the materials. I suggest not skipping any elements within the program. Complete all ear training, writing, blending and oral reading. You have the freedom to move at a faster place and expect the same results. Since you were looking for subjects to combine, this might work well!

          Blessings,
          Michelle T

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Starting late with rod and staff

            Yes to everything you've been told. Definitely don't be afraid to shelve the plans you thought you were going to use and do the level and pacing your child needs. When I ordered MP2, I just assumed DD could easily do all of it's coordinating pieces without so much as a call to MP's help desk/customer service. Thankfully, DD will place beautifully into what we have, but we had to do some work this summer. I though DD was so advanced in math b/c she could borrow across 3 zeros in multi-digit subtraction, do addition with regrouping and solve word problems. But when it came to 6-5=?, she stuttered and hemmed and hawed for about 20 long seconds. I was dumbfounded! Our previous math curriculum just did not have adequate exposure to drill and repetition of math facts. We did multiple modalities of learning, games, etc, but there was no retention or rapid recall of sub. math facts. So, I bought R&S 1 (workbook 1 & 2) and an extra set of drill sheets this summer. We started from p. 116 of Workbook 1 (1-0=1 & 1-1=0) and have quickly moved up to p. 36 of Workbook 2. My hope is to get her from her 7s subtraction facts up to her 10s subtraction facts with full retention in the next 3 weeks. R&S 2 starts with 40 lessons of review of R&S 1. But the pacing is lightning fast for those first 30 or so lessons. MP1 and MP2 schedule 3 lessons a day in the beginning (only you're not teaching it for the first time, just completing every other row of certain fact sheets or a few lines of numbers or doing a simple review of the concept).

            If you rising 1st grader is a typically-developing child, you can always start w/ the K plans for R&S 1, and if you see that it's coming easily, just keep going through the MP1 plans. It wouldn't be the first time we worked over holidays or through breaks in a single subject where we switched mid-year in order to catch up.
            Mama to 2

            Summer:
            MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
            SY 20/21
            4A

            Comment

            Working...
            X