marker boards and pens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

marker boards and pens

You guys are the ones who introduced me to my favorite pens- Frixion. Now I am hoping someone has a incredible suggestion about dry erase markers or boards? Any great Japanese brands that are better than the typical American Expo? I want a fine line that is durable. The expo fine lines draw fine for about two uses and then get smashed and write as thick as the regular thick. I tried some by the Board Guys but they were either too thin or dried out because they wouldn't write on the board. I am also looking for suggestions about the most durable desk sized boards that have math graphs on one side. If I can get my marker board situation as settled as my regular pen (Frixion) and curriculum (MP) then I will be totally set for a great school year!
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 21, chemistry major
    DS, 18, Physics major
    DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
    DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Re: marker boards and pens

Honestly we just bought a lot of the fine tipped ones from Dollar Tree. They have erasers on the back. They do dry up faster than the fine tipped Expo markers. Dd prefers the Expo ones, but having a jar of the cheapo ones keeps the day rolling sometimes. I would consider us heavy marker users.
    Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD 10th: Aerospace enthusiast. All AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

I believe it was here that someone recommended The Markerboard People for small boards. I have no tips on markers. I love the Quartet chisel point, but their fine point get smashed pretty quickly.
      DD 16 | 11th
      DS 14 | 8th
      DD 12 | 7A

12th Year HSing, 8th Year MP

Comment

I have these ultra fine tips for myself, and the kids are not allowed to use them.

The big kids use the fine tip ones, and the littles are only allowed to use the 'fat' ones. As they get older, they learn not to mash the tips in.

For white boards -- I bought these two years ago and we LOVE them. They are lined on one side, and blank on the other. We use them during class when the kids are dictating answers to me, and for the littles to practice writing, etc.
        Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
        DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
        DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
        DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
        DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
        DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

I've always preferred the wet erase markers for the fine tip writing. Vis a vis is the brand I have. They may be a bit more of a pain if you were trying to erase and rewrite several times in a sitting. I like them because there is no smudging, I usually use them when I have something I don't want erased for awhile.
          ~Michelle

DD 12 (MP 7)
          DS 9 (Gap Year)
          DS 4 - Preschool
          DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
            You guys are the ones who introduced me to my favorite pens- Frixion. Now I am hoping someone has a incredible suggestion about dry erase markers or boards? Any great Japanese brands that are better than the typical American Expo?

Probably. A Japanese stationary store is a breathtaking experience.

Unfortunately I can't provide any brand names. Oddly coincidental is that just yesterday, I discovered that every stinkin' whiteboard marker we own is dead, dry, or smashed. Just yesterday I started my schools supplies list with whiteboard markers listed at #1.

Following.

Jen
            DS, 27 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 25 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 22 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 12 yrs, 8th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling. Ahhh....

Comment

Originally posted by 3Blessings View Post
              I've always preferred the wet erase markers for the fine tip writing. Vis a vis is the brand I have. They may be a bit more of a pain if you were trying to erase and rewrite several times in a sitting. I like them because there is no smudging, I usually use them when I have something I don't want erased for awhile.
              Just checked Amazon, and the reviews are all over the place.

Can I write on a white board with these? Will it actually erase, with glass cleaner or such?
              Plans for 2020-21

Comment

You guys are the ones who introduced me to my favorite pens- Frixion. Now I am hoping someone has a incredible suggestion about dry erase markers or boards? Any great Japanese brands that are better than the typical American Expo? I want a fine line that is durable. The expo fine lines draw fine for about two uses and then get smashed and write as thick as the regular thick. I tried some by the Board Guys but they were either too thin or dried out because they wouldn't write on the board. I am also looking for suggestions about the most durable desk sized boards that have math graphs on one side. If I can get my marker board situation as settled as my regular pen (Frixion) and curriculum (MP) then I will be totally set for a great school year!
                I think I'm the only one in the universe who hated the Frixion pens.
                Papermate Flair over here.
                Plans for 2020-21

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                  I think I'm the only one in the universe who hated the Frixion pens.
                  Papermate Flair over here.
                  Nope, I hate the Frixion pens too! The ink doesn't flow smoothly and they don't always show up well. I loved the idea of them, but in practice they never get used.

Can I write on a white board with these? Will it actually erase, with glass cleaner or such?
                  I've never had trouble erasing them. I use them mainly when I'm writing smaller since they're so fine tipped, so on laminated pouches or small white boards at the table, but they also have erased from the big dry erase board when I posted our schedule up there for a few weeks. I just use a wet paper towel and then a dry one to wipe it away. These are the ones I have I think (although mine don't say Expo, they look identical). https://www.amazon.com/16078-Wet-Era...+erase+markers
                  ~Michelle

DD 12 (MP 7)
                  DS 9 (Gap Year)
                  DS 4 - Preschool
                  DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

I love the markerboard people for boards and markers. Check out the bargain bin tab. I think their markers are a nice size that one can actually write with. The tips are virtually indestructible even with a preschooler trying to make polka dots by hitting the tips on the board. I usually get the multi colored pack. The rep on the phone advised storing them on their side to get the longest life.

http://www.dryerase.com/markers
                    Dorinda

For 2020-2021
                    DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
                    DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
                    DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
                    DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                      I love the markerboard people for boards and markers. Check out the bargain bin tab. I think their markers are a nice size that one can actually write with. The tips are virtually indestructible even with a preschooler trying to make polka dots by hitting the tips on the board. I usually get the multi colored pack. The rep on the phone advised storing them on their side to get the longest life.

http://www.dryerase.com/markers
                      You're an enabler.
                      I'm over here wondering why in the world I've never had a 'display stand' before.
                      Plans for 2020-21

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                        You're an enabler.
                        I'm over here wondering why in the world I've never had a 'display stand' before.
                        You’re welcome

The display stand might be new. I don’t remember seeing it before.
                        Dorinda

For 2020-2021
                        DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History

Comment

dryerase.com??? How have I never heard of this?!?! Well, that is $100 out the window. Thanks for the suggestion to look at the bargain bin. You apparently can only get one of each thing in the bargain bin, but I just scored a bunch of boards with different prints- x/y graph, printing lines, radian graph, fraction circle, place value, and other graph and line variations. 12 boards, 40 markers, 12 erasers, and a teacher stand/eraser,marker kit for $100.21 and free shipping. I knew I could count on you all!!

And Frixion are incredible. They aren't the best for general writing- I have my fountain pen for that, but for anything you would normally use a pencil for they are far superior. I use them for math, Latin workbook (I erase a lot in my own workbook. Hmm, maybe I need to slow down), lesson plans and notes about next year and calendars (because things keep changing). Now I am looking forward to my hopefully incredible marker board experience.
                          Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                          DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                          DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                          DS, 21, chemistry major
                          DS, 18, Physics major
                          DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                          DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
                          DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

dryerase.com??? How have I never heard of this?!?! Well, that is $100 out the window. Thanks for the suggestion to look at the bargain bin. You apparently can only get one of each thing in the bargain bin, but I just scored a bunch of boards with different prints- x/y graph, printing lines, radian graph, fraction circle, place value, and other graph and line variations. 12 boards, 40 markers, 12 erasers, and a teacher stand/eraser,marker kit for $100.21 and free shipping. I knew I could count on you all!!

And Frixion are incredible. They aren't the best for general writing- I have my fountain pen for that, but for anything you would normally use a pencil for they are far superior. I use them for math, Latin workbook (I erase a lot in my own workbook. Hmm, maybe I need to slow down), lesson plans and notes about next year and calendars (because things keep changing). Now I am looking forward to my hopefully incredible marker board experience.
                            I love our marker boards...I don’t have 12 (yet), but I use them for everything school. All about spelling review words and dictation sentences, copying vocabulary words in Latin, sample sentences for literature, etc. I loved the states board for having my son write in the postal codes for review. All of Prima Latina and most of LC1 happened on the marker board since the lines were so small in those student books. So handy!
                            Dorinda

For 2020-2021

Comment

I love the Frixion pens, but did you know they fade like disappearing ink? I was using them for everything, and then I discovered that early notes in my calendar were fading away. It breaks my heart because I am a lefty, and they don't smear when I write. But now I'm afraid to use them on things I need to refer back to over time.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                              X