Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New school year

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post

So, general question for those following along (not trying to hijak from you Nievs!) - what do any of you consider the essential non-school outlets that keep your crews sane?

AMDG,
    Sarah
    This doesn't keep anyone sane, however, our one essential is piano lessons until I can't take the complaining about it no more, but I'm strong-willed, so child #1 is going into his eighth year of lessons. So other than forced piano for my 13 year old, his choices are trumpet lessons and homeschool orchestra, Bible quiz team at our church, and possibly Upward Sports basketball in the winter.

Fortunately, my ten year old likes piano. Last year he tried violin which wasn't his cup of tea, so he's switching to oboe (my husband and I are thinking, "Yes! College scholarship instrument! You will not quit." He's also going to join Trail Life.

Art classes might be an essential here and there throughout the year. We love art and I love doing it with the kids, but last year I began running out of time and energy to fit it in. I teach private flute lessons several times a week, which takes up art time.
    DS, 15, 10th grade
    DS, 12, 7th grade

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarbelle View Post
      he's switching to oboe (my husband and I are thinking, "Yes! College scholarship instrument! You will not quit."

LOL Sugarbelle! Right there with you, Sister! I myself am a flutist, although I play only to entertain myself and my kids any more. In our early homeschool years (in the Chicago area) I *did* find a home school band program and all my kids played band instruments for a few years. Loved it! My only kid to stick with it played....

the tuba....

College Scholarship instrument, indeed. And if not that, Drum and Bugle Corps!!! He played through high school, but had no interest playing in college, I am sad to report.

Sorry to hijack!

Jen
      DS, 27 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 25 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 22 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 12 yrs, 8th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling. Ahhh....

Comment

Fortunately, my ten year old likes piano. Last year he tried violin which wasn't his cup of tea, so he's switching to oboe (my husband and I are thinking, "Yes! College scholarship instrument! You will not quit." He's also going to join Trail Life.
        My youngest niece starts in oboe performance this fall. It is a hard road...while a unique instrument many colleges only have one spot a year for freshman. Reed making and winter audition trips nearly drove my sister to an early grave. Each trip had a major snowstorm somewhere along the flight path associated with it. Let him play if he loves it, but not for scholarships.

Our co-op will start the Monday after Labor Day. My daughter has two online classes starting the week of August 20th, but she also has driver’s ed so we shall see how it works out to get anything done with the boys with that going on.

Our activities:

Music - violin or piano for a few years, we started with a homeschool choir this last year for my two who love to sing. My oldest also sings at church (in Latin!). I haven’t decided when to start the 5yo. Maybe next year....

Sports - swim, swim, or swim are their choices. This is our 9th year with a year round club and we are close to adding kid number 4. We can streamline (pun intended) our schedule with swimming...we have dabbled in other stuff, but scheduling is nuts for sports that move locations and practice times. Swimming is great because the schedule is relatively stable, very little travel, it is a safety skill in Michigan, it is a great life-long, low impact activity, and I consider it an individual team sport. There are friends around, but if you can’t make practice or a meet, you aren’t letting anyone down.

Scouts - the boys started with Trail Life the year Trail Life started. My K will start this year. We love it! Not as much already established, but it is an organization that I feel we can grow with. We would have stuck with BSA if they we closer to Eagle, but with elementary age it wasn’t an option for me. Our troop has every age on one night and many large families...one trip, 3 kids =awesome. My daughter has been in AHG since first grade.

Fun thread!
        Dorinda

For 2020-2021
        DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
        DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
        DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
        DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

We're fairly minimalist/streamlined in the activity department:

Fall: ages 8-15 will be in rec. league soccer for 8 weeks. The oldest will referee while the others play. The 12 and 14 year olds will be together on one team and the other two kids on another. One practice per team each week and one game each on Saturday -- played at the same place every week.

Spring: we'll probably do 4H again (no animals and only one project per person). I have reservations about some of the "community service" options clubs do, but their club seems to avoid or make optional any that I have problems with.

All-year (besides cottage school, MPOA and Delectare):
          • Sundays: 3-9 year olds will do Catechesis of the Good Shepherd; older guys either volunteer to help with that or attend the high school level Scripture/Catechism class. Potluck at church once a month and the older kids will have youth group once a month.
          • Tuesdays: occupational therapy for three of the kids (every other week)
          • Wednesdays: 6 & 9 year olds will have equine therapy one Wednesday a month; the 15yo has wood-turning lessons here at home 2-3 Wednesdays a month
          • The 15yo also has driving lessons with dad twice a week.

We're considering Little Flowers for the girls, but those "once a month" things start to add up. Not sure if we'll do it.
          Last edited by jen1134; 08-02-2018, 08:23 AM.
          Jennifer
          Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
          DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
          DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
          DS11: SC 4
          DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
          DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
          DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
            My youngest niece starts in oboe performance this fall. It is a hard road...while a unique instrument many colleges only have one spot a year for freshman. Reed making and winter audition trips nearly drove my sister to an early grave. Each trip had a major snowstorm somewhere along the flight path associated with it. Let him play if he loves it, but not for scholarships.
            Hi Dorinda! Going through music conservatory auditions myself and playing in symphonies, I have seen the angst of the oboists and thought, "You poor souls with the endless reed whacking." My boys are both very musical, but I would never push them into music degrees, although it is my oldest's primary interest. God forbid something happens to my husband because my "highly useful" Master of Flute Performance degree won't serve us too well.
            Last edited by Sugarbelle; 08-02-2018, 08:35 AM.
            DS, 15, 10th grade
            DS, 12, 7th grade

Comment

Originally posted by Jen (formerly) in Japan View Post
              LOL Sugarbelle! Right there with you, Sister! I myself am a flutist, although I play only to entertain myself and my kids any more.

Jen
              Hooray! A fellow flutist! Did you earn a degree in it?
              DS, 15, 10th grade
              DS, 12, 7th grade

Comment

Hooray! A fellow flutist! Did you earn a degree in it?

No, not even a little: BS Chemistry, BA Economics, MaED. I did play in college for a short while, but eventually needed to drop my flute playing in favor studies for my dual degrees.

What I did use my instrument playing for (flute, baritone horn): academic credits in fine arts, leadership (section leader, Drum Major, etc), social life (friends), scholarships, competition, team-building, inspiring passion, and more. Instead of playing sports, I used a career in music from age 9-19 to gain many of the same benefits, along with the practical skills of playing a few instruments. I do wish I could provide some of the same opportunities for my own kids that I had. However, we did use our homeschool to create a sense of passion for each of my kids. It just so happened turned out not to be in "band" (although my tuba player went the farthest there!).

So cool that you have a degree in Flute Performance. I am in awe!

Jen
                DS, 27 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 25 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 22 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 12 yrs, 8th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling. Ahhh....

Comment

We usually start after Labor Day and end up behind. We are starting August 20. We were going to start August 13, but have to go to a water park that day (it is a long story) and have to drop our dog off for dog shows on August 15. It seems a little silly to do school just Tuesday and Thursday (I have to work Friday). We will take the week of September 30 off to go to St. Louis for the National Golden Retriever Club of America Specialty show. I note that I could then do 6 weeks and take off the week of Thanksgiving, but then it is only 4 weeks until Christmas, so that does not fit in with that 6 weeks on, one week off thing. I kind of like that idea. Maybe we will just do two 7 week periods in the spring.
                  JeJe Greer
                  Mom to:
                  Stella (8M with 9th grade literature, writing, and Henle Latin)
                  Clara (Combination of SC 5/6 and 4th New User)

Comment

Working...
                  X