New school year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New school year

Hello fellow teachers! When will you start your new school year?

This is the first year for me not looking forward to start in August. I guess I’m looking for inspiration. Haha!

Our classroom and books are all set and ready. It’s just me. I got too excited too early and now the excitement has died down.
    Nievs, blessed to have such thoughtful MP friends

2020-2021 God bless us all
    DS13, 8th grade
    DS12, 7th grade
    DS9, 5th grade
    DS6, 1st grade

“Prayer is the best weapon that we have.
    It is the key that opens the Heart of God." ~Padre Pio

Re: New school year

Nievs,

End of July woes, eh? For us, for the last couple of years, the start of the year has been accompanied by a move in early August - third year in a row, actually. (Moved into a rental, then to Memphis, now to Chicago). Each year I have had everything prepped and ready so we could start up as soon as we unpack, but that doesn’t help with the enthusiasm level. Last year I was even pregnant and needing that to be a focus rather than fun and making friends.

My kids have already been telling me that it’s just going to be another year of school, school, school because we will be starting right after moving in (no time to meet anyone, in their minds). With you starting up weekend work again, it may seem to you that everything will just be work, work, work, also - both your weeks and your weekends. Good work, of course, but not exactly what you wake up every day ready to jump out and do!

Hmph. Not sure what I am expecting, but what I am hoping for is to be able to begin to be more balanced. Not sure what will present itself, or what I will need to seek out, but the conviction I feel is to balance our school days better with “outside of school things.” I have felt that ever since we have gotten into such a good routine with MP, but some years have been better than others at providing it. Maybe that is something that would help you guys too? Taking an extra, random day off here and there to do something unexpected and fun? Or saving an afternoon each week to do something you can all enjoy together?

You are five years in now - school probably doesn’t seem like a mystery anymore. Maybe it’s time to add something?

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 8
    DD, 6
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

I'm tentatively planning to start Aug 29. Hopefully 3 days in that week plus 3 days in the following week (not working Labor Day, and our co-op begins that Thursday) will equal 5 days of lesson plans. Ha. An extra day in the first week of a new year never hurt anyone.

I've just started organizing and setting up for the coming year. My oldest is Ready To GO because she's starting high school and feels like this is the on-ramp to life. The other two, not so much.
      Melanie
      2020-2021: 12th year homeschooling. 7th MP year.
      Abby (11th)
      Emma (9th)
      Ben (6th)

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Sarah.

Perhaps I’m just dreading the transition back into structured and busy days for the boys.

The mix of my part time job and keeping the boys disciplined is quite draining. So for sure we will do some of the things you suggested- afternoons off here and there....especially on the days before and after my night shifts.

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
        Nievs,

End of July woes, eh? For us, for the last couple of years, the start of the year has been accompanied by a move in early August - third year in a row, actually. (Moved into a rental, then to Memphis, now to Chicago). Each year I have had everything prepped and ready so we could start up as soon as we unpack, but that doesn’t help with the enthusiasm level. Last year I was even pregnant and needing that to be a focus rather than fun and making friends.

My kids have already been telling me that it’s just going to be another year of school, school, school because we will be starting right after moving in (no time to meet anyone, in their minds). With you starting up weekend work again, it may seem to you that everything will just be work, work, work, also - both your weeks and your weekends. Good work, of course, but not exactly what you wake up every day ready to jump out and do!

Hmph. Not sure what I am expecting, but what I am hoping for is to be able to begin to be more balanced. Not sure what will present itself, or what I will need to seek out, but the conviction I feel is to balance our school days better with “outside of school things.” I have felt that ever since we have gotten into such a good routine with MP, but some years have been better than others at providing it. Maybe that is something that would help you guys too? Taking an extra, random day off here and there to do something unexpected and fun? Or saving an afternoon each week to do something you can all enjoy together?

You are five years in now - school probably doesn’t seem like a mystery anymore. Maybe it’s time to add something?

AMDG,
        Sarah

DS13, 8th grade
        DS12, 7th grade
        DS9, 5th grade
        DS6, 1st grade

Comment

Originally posted by Islander View Post
          Thanks for the reply, Sarah.

Perhaps I’m just dreading the transition back into structured and busy days for the boys.

The mix of my part time job and keeping the boys disciplined is quite draining. So for sure we will do some of the things you suggested- afternoons off here and there....especially on the days before and after my night shifts.
          Hear hear. Totally there with you. Getting ready to start senior year with our oldest - which feels awesome (ONE almost done!)...but at the same time, an infant who is just trying to crawl....oy vay, this is a long road! *weary face*

Hugs to you fellow momma!
          AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 8
          DD, 6
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Melanie. Sounds like a great way to start. I’d stretch the first week in the core plan too. How exciting that you have a high schooler!

Originally posted by melaneesa View Post
            I'm tentatively planning to start Aug 29. Hopefully 3 days in that week plus 3 days in the following week (not working Labor Day, and our co-op begins that Thursday) will equal 5 days of lesson plans. Ha. An extra day in the first week of a new year never hurt anyone.

I've just started organizing and setting up for the coming year. My oldest is Ready To GO because she's starting high school and feels like this is the on-ramp to life. The other two, not so much.

DS13, 8th grade
            DS12, 7th grade
            DS9, 5th grade
            DS6, 1st grade

Comment

With you starting up weekend work again, it may seem to you that everything will just be work, work, work, also - both your weeks and your weekends. Good work, of course, but not exactly what you wake up every day ready to jump out and do!

AMDG,
              Sarah
              Nievs,

I was thinking about you the other day. I was hoping that you'd made it to Sodalitas, but then I was sad, because IF you did, I don't think I ran into you.

I'm chiming in, since we lead parallel lives. (working weekends outside the home) Homeschooling and managing a family/house is HARD work. Add outside commitments, and it reaches a whole new level of crazy.

One of my friends looked at me last year, and said, "You know, I just realized something. When the rest of us are playing catch up on the weekends with laundry and errands, and everything else, you're gone to work. YOU DON'T GET A BREAK." I just laughed, because it's all I've ever known. I've always homeschooled AND worked. I don't know any different scenarios.

What I have learned over the years is to be EXTREMELY guarded of my time and energy. As a bona fide extrovert, that was hard for me. And I learned the hard way, filling my calendar with all sorts of lovely things, but then panicking when the realization hit that we were over-scheduled.

I've learned to say NO, say it well, and stick to it. It might sting a little at first, but over the long haul, it's saved my sanity. As much as I'd love to be ALL things to ALL people, perfection is an unattainable dream. My energy is better spent serving these people right in front of me. I don't take on anything that will cause me or my husband any angst.

I'd encourage you to lean on the people around you -- your husband and your children. I don't mean whining, but setting a level of expectations of people pitching in. I tell the kids all the time ---- if you help out while I'm gone, it means that when I am home, I will actually have TIME and ENERGY to play. It's a work in progress, but I hope it's sinking in.

Streamline your life --- Amazon Prime, Walmart grocery pickup, etc. My husband is the primary grocery guy here --- because it's far easier to go to Costco with one child vs five. This is a team effort of immense proportions.

And -- take some time for yourself. I'm not talking spa days. I mean -- drinking a cup of coffee in silence. Taking 15 minutes to read a book for yourself before bed. Whatever fills your tank so that you can soldier on.

And back to your original question We're starting on 8/7/18.
              Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
              DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
              DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
              DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
              DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
              DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

Oh wow. You have so much more on your plate and yet you always seem so cool. What an inspiration!

Hear hear. Totally there with you. Getting ready to start senior year with our oldest - which feels awesome (ONE almost done!)...but at the same time, an infant who is just trying to crawl....oy vay, this is a long road! *weary face*

Hugs to you fellow momma!
                AMDG,
                Sarah

DS13, 8th grade
                DS12, 7th grade
                DS9, 5th grade
                DS6, 1st grade

Comment

Hi Dianna,
                  I’m touched that you were thinking of me at Sodalitas. So far, it has been impossible for me to make it. Before my weekend partime job, money was the problem. Now that I have money, time off is an issue since travel to be there by Monday takes place on the weekend. I do want to make it to Sodalitas one of these years!

Thank you for your encouragement and suggestions. Just reading the replies from you and the other moms is making me feel ready for school again!

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                  Nievs,

I was thinking about you the other day. I was hoping that you'd made it to Sodalitas, but then I was sad, because IF you did, I don't think I ran into you.

I'm chiming in, since we lead parallel lives. (working weekends outside the home) Homeschooling and managing a family/house is HARD work. Add outside commitments, and it reaches a whole new level of crazy.

One of my friends looked at me last year, and said, "You know, I just realized something. When the rest of us are playing catch up on the weekends with laundry and errands, and everything else, you're gone to work. YOU DON'T GET A BREAK." I just laughed, because it's all I've ever known. I've always homeschooled AND worked. I don't know any different scenarios.

What I have learned over the years is to be EXTREMELY guarded of my time and energy. As a bona fide extrovert, that was hard for me. And I learned the hard way, filling my calendar with all sorts of lovely things, but then panicking when the realization hit that we were over-scheduled.

I've learned to say NO, say it well, and stick to it. It might sting a little at first, but over the long haul, it's saved my sanity. As much as I'd love to be ALL things to ALL people, perfection is an unattainable dream. My energy is better spent serving these people right in front of me. I don't take on anything that will cause me or my husband any angst.

I'd encourage you to lean on the people around you -- your husband and your children. I don't mean whining, but setting a level of expectations of people pitching in. I tell the kids all the time ---- if you help out while I'm gone, it means that when I am home, I will actually have TIME and ENERGY to play. It's a work in progress, but I hope it's sinking in.

Streamline your life --- Amazon Prime, Walmart grocery pickup, etc. My husband is the primary grocery guy here --- because it's far easier to go to Costco with one child vs five. This is a team effort of immense proportions.

And -- take some time for yourself. I'm not talking spa days. I mean -- drinking a cup of coffee in silence. Taking 15 minutes to read a book for yourself before bed. Whatever fills your tank so that you can soldier on.

DS13, 8th grade
                  DS12, 7th grade
                  DS9, 5th grade
                  DS6, 1st grade

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                    Nievs,

Dianna,
                    Your post is so good, and is exactly spot on as far as trying to do the best on the most essential things.

Nievs - reading Dianna’s, I realized my advice may have sounded like I was saying to add a structured activity of some sort that would add more stress and worry to your life. I just want to make sure that’s NOT how you took it. Dianna’s totally right in her post.

What I was trying to get at - and what we are going to be working on too - is to figure out how to have some fun in the midst of a busy school year. We love our school - we have no qualms at all about that - and it is actually because school is so well-placed that I feel it is no longer one of my daily worries. The more persistent daily worry is trying to maintain a well-roundedness to our lives, especially with starting over again. I don’t want to hit the February doldrums in October!

So, general question for those following along (not trying to hijak from you Nievs!) - what do any of you consider the essential non-school outlets that keep your crews sane?

AMDG,
                    Sarah
                    2020-2021
                    DS, 16
                    DD, 14
                    DD, 12
                    DD, 10
                    DD, 8
                    DD, 6
                    +DS+
                    DS, 2

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Sarah! 😁 And it’s not hijaking. I want to hear more about everyone’s essential non-school outlets to keep one’s sanity. :-)

Dianna,
                      Your post is so good, and is exactly spot on as far as trying to do the best on the most essential things.

Nievs - reading Dianna’s, I realized my advice may have sounded like I was saying to add a structured activity of some sort that would add more stress and worry to your life. I just want to make sure that’s NOT how you took it. Dianna’s totally right in her post.

What I was trying to get at - and what we are going to be working on too - is to figure out how to have some fun in the midst of a busy school year. We love our school - we have no qualms at all about that - and it is actually because school is so well-placed that I feel it is no longer one of my daily worries. The more persistent daily worry is trying to maintain a well-roundedness to our lives, especially with starting over again. I don’t want to hit the February doldrums in October!

So, general question for those following along (not trying to hijak from you Nievs!) - what do any of you consider the essential non-school outlets that keep your crews sane?

AMDG,
                      Sarah

DS13, 8th grade
                      DS12, 7th grade
                      DS9, 5th grade
                      DS6, 1st grade

Comment

We started today! I decided I wanted a long Christmas break, we like to take a week off around Halloween/All Saints, and need breaks to look forward to in general, so I set our schedule to be six weeks on then a week off. Getting three rounds in before Christmas break meant starting today.

I think if I can have us more than halfway done by Christmas it will make the spring semester look less daunting. We'll have a week off in February and then our break falls the week before Holy Week, so two weeks off that time, and finish out the last four weeks to end May 17th, about a week before public schools in the area.

Our essential outside activity is the little musical theater group he is involved with. We were taking orchestra, but my autoimmune issues played up to the point I couldn't hold the instrument properly and he decided he would rather focus on theater. We are looking into a second activity for him, everything else just seems so much more expensive!
                        Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Evulcarrot - 18, freshman in college, Medical Technology , mild autism
                        Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
                        Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Comment

For us Sports and/or workouts are essential. It is structured, but I need it to be. I have learned that for fun to happen, it has to be on our calendar. My children are in karate year round and I take classes and workout at the same school. We all get to burn energy and see friends. Win!

For unstructured fun, like a visit to the zoo or swimming with friends. I still schedule it. I’m not good at stopping the work at home to go out for the afternoon. If it’s on my calendar, I’ll stick to it.

Service is dear to my heart and I want to instill that in my children. Currently, I’m in conversation with a local nursing home about regular visits. I’d like put a group of homeschool kids together to visit and play chess or checkers and possibly put on a talent show once a month.

Oh and we belong to a chess club. Which means my boys play, my daughter colors with friends, and I chat with other moms while laminating flashcards.
                          Joyfully, Courtney
                          DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

DD is going into MP2, and so many of the read-alouds are holiday themed, so I want those to match up (Thanksgiving, Christmas, St. Patrick's Day, Groundhog Day, etc). I think the best timing makes us start the last week in August. I looked at HLS, and I think that's when they start. I'm the crazy one who homeschools on holidays because hubby is always home, so I have someone to watch the little guy. We've even started Science Sundays, where we do a fun science experiment Sunday afternoon. It's so nice having DH be a part of our day.

I don't know about anyone else, but my eldest has such a curious personality that she begs for homeschool or enrichment over the winter break. We always wind up doing something, but it won't be MP.

We have a PE class DD does twice a week in the PM, and I take a barre class during it. I may find another early PM class to add one more day a week, b/c I get seasonal moodiness in the winter, and exercise makes all the difference. I wish I had the energy to schlep the kids to the gym in the morning, get in a run, shower, fix my hair/makeup, and come home to start, but the childcare part isn't open until 8 am. I hate starting after 9 am. Hmmm....contemplating and secretly wishing I had a workout buddy.
                            Mama to 2

Summer:
                            MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
                            SY 20/21
                            4A

Comment

We are doing a soft start around August 6. We plan to take two weeks for the first week's worth of material. Dd already has something on the 7th, and lots of end-of-summer things seem to pop up. ETA- Dd is anxious to start the year. We're still debating what her actual grade is this year, but she also is feeling the above mentioned "on ramp to adulthood".
                              Last edited by bean; 07-30-2018, 04:36 PM.
                              Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD 10th: Aerospace enthusiast. All AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

Working...
                              X