OT: Florida?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Florida?

I am not sure where to ask this one. Is anyone in Florida and willing to pm me about what it is like to homechool there and such things? We are thinking the Orlando area.

You may now return to our normally interesting threads...
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

Re: OT: Florida?

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
    I am not sure where to ask this one. Is anyone in Florida and willing to pm me about what it is like to homechool there and such things? We are thinking the Orlando area.

Hi there. Not in FL, but just a reminder that you can click on MP Communities off the main MP site (home). If you click on 'connect' and then 'MP communities' you'll see many, many MP homeschoolers in FL.

SusanP in VA

Comment

Here is a link to FL homeschooling law.
      http://www.fldoe.org/schools/school-...uirements.stml

You will have to submit paperwork at the end of the school year. Most folks use an umbrella school or do an annual evaluation with a certified teacher. If you are going the evaluation route, you will have to notify the county about your intent to homeschool at the beginning of your school year.

Feel free to PM me any questions.
      13ds, 11dd, 5dd using a mix of MP and other resources

Comment

We lived in FL for 6 years. It's easy to homeschool there. You just have to have a state certified teacher sign a form saying your student did the appropriate work to move up a grade. Some co-ops have a person designated to do it for the members of that group. I knew someone from church who is a teacher and she always did mine.
        Melanie
        2020-2021: 12th year homeschooling. 7th MP year.
        Abby (11th)
        Emma (9th)
        Ben (6th)

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post

During the Sodalitas Gathering and Teacher Training, I sat at a lunch table with Tanya and Martin. They were discussing a classical school in Navarre, I think. I'm wondering if there's a Cottage School program in Fl?

I have a few criteria for moving:
          Cannot be any further north (except I might be convinced to consider Indy)
          Homeschooling laws need to be simple (we are very spoiled in KY)
          A Cottage School -- the icing on the cake
          Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
          DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
          DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
          DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
          DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
          DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
            During the Sodalitas Gathering and Teacher Training, I sat at a lunch table with Tanya and Martin. They were discussing a classical school in Navarre, I think. I'm wondering if there's a Cottage School program in Fl?
            Navarre is near where I lived -- way west. Probably 8 hours from Orlando.
            Melanie
            2020-2021: 12th year homeschooling. 7th MP year.
            Abby (11th)
            Emma (9th)
            Ben (6th)

Comment

Originally posted by melaneesa View Post
              Navarre is near where I lived -- way west. Probably 8 hours from Orlando.
              Were you there at that table, too? For some reason, I thought you were there, too.

AND --- Geography is so not my strong suit.
              Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
              DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
              DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
              DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
              DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
              DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

I have a few criteria for moving:
                Cannot be any further north (except I might be convinced to consider Indy)
                Homeschooling laws need to be simple (we are very spoiled in KY)
                A Cottage School -- the icing on the cake
                Indiana has very easy homeschool laws. Keep attendance for 180 days. That's it. You don't report anything to anyone. Indy is a nice town. I have two adult kids there. Housing market is hot right now, but still inexpensive compared to say, Nashville.
                Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD 10th: Aerospace enthusiast. All AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

In Arkansas, you fill out a short notice of intent to homeschool that absolves the state of the obligation to school your child. There is one extra page if your child is testing for their driver's license that year. It can be printed and sent/taken to the local district or filled in online. It takes five minutes. That's it. There are no other requirements.

We also have a Tim Tebow law requiring schools to accept homeschoolers on a part-time basis, as in for sports or other activities, particular classes, etc as long as it is less than more than half the day. So four classes out of eight is okay, but five is not.
                  Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Evulcarrot - 18, freshman in college, Medical Technology , mild autism
                  Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
                  Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post
                    Indiana has very easy homeschool laws. Keep attendance for 180 days. That's it. You don't report anything to anyone. Indy is a nice town. I have two adult kids there. Housing market is hot right now, but still inexpensive compared to say, Nashville.
                    In Michigan you just don’t show up. No paperwork ever.
                    Dorinda

For 2020-2021
                    DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
                    DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
                    DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
                    DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                      This is how Texas is, too.

It is still a bit away for making a decision--around May 2019. S needs to graduate CC (2 semesters to go!), get his driver's license (cause I do not want to deal with another State's issues for his first one), and get his braces off. Then of course, dh needs a fantastic job offer. I am just looking ahead, as always.
                      The Homeschool Grads:
                      J- 6/96
                      S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
                      G- 4/04
                      D- 5/05
                      F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
                      M- 9/16

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                        No one ever checks it. Not sure why it's the rule.
                        Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD 10th: Aerospace enthusiast. All AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

Working...
                        X