Moving from Third Form into Fourth Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from Third Form into Fourth Form

As we get prepped for the school year, I'm thinking back to the beginning of last year --- when I thought Third Form would surely kill us.

I need some ideas from you wise folks about a review. Our schedule did not permit taking the MPOA TFL review, so we are on our own here. I want to make sure we're not staring down a repeat of last fall.

So, what do you all suggest for a review? Just run through flashcards? (and I'll have to pull them back out again) Some kind soul have summer TFL review sets on Quizlet?

(Michael, I feel like this question is all yours! <3)
    Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
    DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
    DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
    DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
    DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
    DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Re: Moving from Third Form into Fourth Form

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
    As we get prepped for the school year, I'm thinking back to the beginning of last year --- when I thought Third Form would surely kill us.

I need some ideas from you wise folks about a review. Our schedule did not permit taking the MPOA TFL review, so we are on our own here. I want to make sure we're not staring down a repeat of last fall.

So, what do you all suggest for a review? Just run through flashcards? (and I'll have to pull them back out again) Some kind soul have summer TFL review sets on Quizlet?

(Michael, I feel like this question is all yours! <3)
    First, deep breaths We are consistently told that Third Form Latin is the hardest of the Forms, so Fourth Form may very well be a little easier. The focus begins to shift away from grammar to syntax, which can be a challenge, but an exciting and rewarding one. Students are approaching the summit of the mountain of Latin grammar, and are almost ready to enjoy the fruit of their labors: reading Latin.

For review, I would focus on drilling the forms and vocabulary from FFL-TFL. 4FL includes a lot of review in the early lessons, but there is still some new material. The less time and "brain power" spent on review, the more the student can focus on that new material and on translating, the amount of which does increase in 4FL. As for how you review, some ideas are flashcards/quizlet for vocabulary and the Drill Forms in the TFL Workbook for grammar forms.

HTH

Comment

We did get through all 4 forms with the help of MPOA. Third Form was harder to keep up with. Fourth Form was different and so we kind of found it hard too. DS literally wore the cover off of his 4th Form book and his work book is beat up and a mess, but I can't bear to throw out all that work. We have a set up beat up Latin books taking space on the shelf.

I would just review till you really have it down, otherwise it's going to end up being a lot of work looking up stuff over and over. We tried to do recitations daily for awhile. What we had memorized we put away and worked on things we were getting caught on. It is a bit boring but it works.

Comment

Thanks to everyone!

Micheal, we are actually going to start school around 8/8. When we do, we will plan for review, and that's it. I took my 4th Form TM to the pool last night, tabbed all the index items I will be putting to use, then took notes about what I needed to do for prep.

Mbelle, I should have clarified. My daughter actually takes her Latin at our local HLS Cottage School. She left me in the dust long ago (like 1/2 way through FFL). I want her to start off this year smoother than last, hence my question about how to prepare. As I have more children go through Latin, it becomes a little easier for me. By the time Maeve and Daniel hit the forms, I SHOULD be at least competent through 2nd Form. Or one would think.
        Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
        DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
        DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
        DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
        DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
        DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
          We are actually going to start school around 8/8. When we do, we will plan for review, and that's it.
          Sounds like a good plan. 4FL has 34 lessons, five of which are Unit Reviews. With your early start, you can easily spend some extra time reviewing in that first unit. Bonam fortunam!

Comment

Working...
          X