Prima Latina DVDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prima Latina DVDs

Hello, I am looking into starting a beginning Latin program with my family and had a couple of questions regarding how to use the student books with the DVDs. Do the student books and DVD lessons correlate? or are the DVDs just a supplement? Should one or the other be done first? Just to name a few! :-)

Re: Prima Latina DVDs

Originally posted by MaryS View Post
    Hello, I am looking into starting a beginning Latin program with my family and had a couple of questions regarding how to use the student books with the DVDs. Do the student books and DVD lessons correlate? or are the DVDs just a supplement? Should one or the other be done first? Just to name a few! :-)
    Welcome! We did Prima Latina last year and enjoyed it. We would watch the DVD lesson first together on Mondays. Leigh Lowe would teach the lesson, then we would do the correlating workbook pages and review work on the other days. If you’re thinking about just doing Latin, you can buy the individual lesson plans that lay out what work to do each day. Once you get the hang out of it, it’s easy to follow the pattern.

What ages are your children?
    Heidi

For 2021-22
    dd- 6th
    ds- 3rd
    dd- 1st
    ds- adding smiles and distractions

Comment

Originally posted by VAmom View Post
      Welcome! We did Prima Latina last year and enjoyed it. We would watch the DVD lesson first together on Mondays. Leigh Lowe would teach the lesson, then we would do the correlating workbook pages and review work on the other days. If you’re thinking about just doing Latin, you can buy the individual lesson plans that lay out what work to do each day. Once you get the hang out of it, it’s easy to follow the pattern.

What ages are your children?
      12 y/o son,
      9 y/o daughter,
      7 y/o daughter,
      5 y/o daughter,
      3 y/o son
      Should I buy a workbook for each of the older ones?

Comment

Hi Mary!

I saw your question and I wondered if you have looked at Latina Christiana? It is also “introductory” level, in that it is a good, gentle introduction to Latin, and it would be a lot more interesting for your older two children. Prima is a great program too, but it is intended for around 2nd grade or so. I think your older ones might find it a bit too simple. Latina would give them a bit more exposure to how Latin actually works, and would set them up well to be able to start First Form Latin the next year. Plus, it still has DVDs to help with the teaching.

Prima would still be a good option for your 7 year old, but if you wanted to only have one new course to figure out for all your kids, I would really recommend you try Latina this year, and let your 7 year old listen in and pick up whatever she can.

Just a thought!
        AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7