Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Quizlet Help Getting Started

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    OT: Quizlet Help Getting Started

    Hi Everyone,

    I am considering using Quizlet in my homeschool next year as a way to review my memoria press subjects. I am trying to figure out the program right now.

    I had a couple of questions:

    1) Do you create a login for each of your children? Do you have a teacher account? My kids will be doing quizlet on their own iPad. If they each have a login, can I track usage or stats?

    2) What is the difference between a folder or a class? Let's say (hypothetically) that I discovered pickandgrin has flashcards for Famous Men of Rome already created. (Again, just hypothetically.) Do I want to move those to a class or a folder?

    3) How do you manage cumulative review in quizlet? Let's say they have a quiz over several chapters that you want them to study for.

    4) Is there a way to record audio? I know there is auto-generated english available, but what about those hard to pronounce Roman and Greek names? I would love to record myself pronouncing them.

    5) As far as "assigning" study time: how do your kids actually use quizlet? I would love details.

    Thanks so much for any help!
    Cathy
    Cathy aka The Attached Mama
    2019-2020
    DS 12, 7th Grade
    DD 11, 6th Grade
    DS 5, K

    #2
    Re: OT: Quizlet Help Getting Started

    Originally posted by TheAttachedMama View Post
    Hi Everyone,

    I am considering using Quizlet in my homeschool next year as a way to review my memoria press subjects. I am trying to figure out the program right now.

    I had a couple of questions:

    1) Do you create a login for each of your children? Do you have a teacher account? My kids will be doing quizlet on their own iPad. If they each have a login, can I track usage or stats?

    2) What is the difference between a folder or a class? Let's say (hypothetically) that I discovered pickandgrin has flashcards for Famous Men of Rome already created. (Again, just hypothetically.) Do I want to move those to a class or a folder?

    3) How do you manage cumulative review in quizlet? Let's say they have a quiz over several chapters that you want them to study for.

    4) Is there a way to record audio? I know there is auto-generated english available, but what about those hard to pronounce Roman and Greek names? I would love to record myself pronouncing them.

    5) As far as "assigning" study time: how do your kids actually use quizlet? I would love details.

    Thanks so much for any help!
    Cathy

    Chiming in for some of these questions --- because I am knee deep in Quizlet at the moment, creating recitation flashcards for myself for LC.

    1)I do NOT have a teacher account. I know Jessica (pickandgrin) does not, but SOMEONE here on the forum does. I just can't remember who. Dorinda, maybe?
    We have ONE account, and we all log in there.

    I THINK (and once again, the ladies with the teacher account can chime in) that there's really no way to check stats/progress unless you have a teacher account.

    ** If this is your first year on Quizlet, I don't think I'd jump to the teacher version yet. I thought Quizlet was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread in my homeschool, but my kids were not as enamored of it as I am. I was thinking, "YAY! Freedom from flipping through flashcards!", while they think "Great. Mom gives us computer time, in the form of flashcard review."

    2) I'm following along for this. I have folders, and classes, and sets, and I swear, it seems like a big jumbled mess. I'm hoping that someone who utilizes it better than me will help out. I have old sets that I'd like to archive/retire/hide --- like Third Form. BUT -- I don't want to recreate them all again in 3 years.

    3)Hmmm. For cumulative review, I usually create ANOTHER set where I combine smaller sets. UGH. And once again, I haven't found an easy way to do this. I would love a button in Quizlet that would let me create a new set, from older sets. Like keep the older sets separate, but then make a new combined set.

    4)Hmmm. Looks like if you wanted to record your own voice, it's here, under the Teacher upgrade.
    "Add images and record your own voice on study sets you make."

    5) I usually assign Quizlet as a review day. In other words, if the Curriculum Guide says "Flashcard review", sometimes I do it manually (meaning I give them the card, then give me the answer), and sometimes I send them off to Quizlet.
    My older daughter used Quizlet on her own last year, for huge cumulative reviews (TFL and her MPOA science classes).
    So, I don't assign it so much, but they use it from time to time.

    Hope that helped. I'm looking forward to hearing from other mommas, too.
    Plans for 2020-21

    Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

    DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
    DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
    DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
    DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
    DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
    DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

    Comment


      #3
      Re: OT: Quizlet Help Getting Started

      Originally posted by TheAttachedMama View Post
      Hi Everyone,

      I am considering using Quizlet in my homeschool next year as a way to review my memoria press subjects. I am trying to figure out the program right now.

      I had a couple of questions:

      1) Do you create a login for each of your children? Yes. In order to be added to a class and to see stats, they need a login. Do you have a teacher account? Yes. I upgraded because I can have unlimited classes. See below. My kids will be doing quizlet on their own iPad. If they each have a login, can I track usage or stats? I believe you must upgrade for this.

      2) What is the difference between a folder or a class? Let's say (hypothetically) that I discovered pickandgrin has flashcards for Famous Men of Rome already created. (Again, just hypothetically.) Do I want to move those to a class or a folder? A folder is a way to organize sets of cards. Folders and sets can be added to classes and students are members of the classes. I use folders to organize my sets. I use classes to organize sets for my kids. So if I were to add Pickandgrin's set, I might add it to my folder so I could find it easily, and I would add that same set to my child's class. My child could then create folders on her end to sort her cards. She will not see my folders - only my sets.

      3) How do you manage cumulative review in quizlet? Let's say they have a quiz over several chapters that you want them to study for. I use the combine feature or I create an additional set with all the cards.

      4) Is there a way to record audio? I know there is auto-generated english available, but what about those hard to pronounce Roman and Greek names? I would love to record myself pronouncing them. It looks like there is an option to do this if you upgrade.

      5) As far as "assigning" study time: how do your kids actually use quizlet? I would love details.My younger two mostly play the games, but most of their studying is done using their flashcards. If we are on the go I may have them use Quizlet. My oldest mostly uses Quizlet. She has always preferred it to the cards which she only uses on occasion and usually only when I hand her a stack. She will be in 9th grade this year, and I don't believe she will have any physical flash cards this year.

      Thanks so much for any help!
      Cathy

      I upgraded to Quizlet teacher because the best way I have found to organize cards for my kids was to create a class for each child for each subject. Folders are account specific. My kids can't see my folders. They see their classes and they can create their own folders. Their classes are cumulative sets because each year I add more cards. If you don't upgrade you are limited in the number of classes you can add. I believe students are limited to 8 classes. When I add sets to my classes I there are two options 1) add by set (it seems cards are listed in order created with most recent first which makes finding sets a little more work) 2) add by folder (again folders seem to be listed in order created but at least sets are together making it easier to add whole sets.) However, when you add folders to a class, the individual sets are added - not the folders.

      In a nutshell:
      Create sets (Say FMR Lesson 1, FMR Lesson 2)
      Create folder (Say FMR)
      Create class (Classical Studies Child 1)
      Add sets (by set or by folder) to class
      Add students to class
      DD 16 | 11th
      DS 14 | 8th
      DD 12 | 7A

      12th Year HSing, 8th Year MP

      Comment


        #4
        Re: OT: Quizlet Help Getting Started

        We are another family that uses Quizlet, and like it, but as Dianna has found, the kids are just simply "ok" with it. It's still school, and it's still work. They do use some of the game features if time is not an issue, but if we know the day will be tight I make sure to tell them they need to only do flashcards on it.

        I don't think I know anything beyond the basics of how to use it. I have one account, non-teacher. I know how to make folders, make sets, and add sets to folders. That's it. I have never done anything with the class option. My iphone, iPad, and Mac all have our Quizlet app linked to this one account, so it keeps things simple. I can hand a child a device, they can "do quizlet" and then be done.

        I have a folder for each course. All the sets I find or make for those courses stay in the course folder all the time for reference. There are usually study sets broken down by lesson for the course, and then another set that is the cumulative material by each unit (if there are units), and a single one for the whole year.

        I also have a folder for each child. At the beginning of the year I check their folder. I uncheck any of the sets from the previous year that go by individual lesson so they are no longer in their folder. Then I find and add the sets that are a cumulative review of the courses I want them to keep practicing. Then I add in the study sets that go lesson by lesson for their new courses. So a folder will say: "Name - Fourth Grade" and have everything they need for the year in it.

        If I have a child taking a course that does not yet have any study sets, I will usually have them make the study sets themselves as they go through the year.

        Also, if you have a cumulative set but you only want to study a portion of it, you can click the star in the top right corner of the cards you want to study. Then here is an option to just review the starred cards. As you move through the year, you can keep clicking the stars to keep adding more cards.

        That's about it for us.
        AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 8
        DD, 6
        +DS+
        DS, 2

        Comment


          #5
          Re: OT: Quizlet Help Getting Started

          Originally posted by jenniferjb View Post
          I upgraded to Quizlet teacher because the best way I have found to organize cards for my kids was to create a class for each child for each subject. Folders are account specific. My kids can't see my folders. They see their classes and they can create their own folders. Their classes are cumulative sets because each year I add more cards. If you don't upgrade you are limited in the number of classes you can add. I believe students are limited to 8 classes. When I add sets to my classes I there are two options 1) add by set (it seems cards are listed in order created with most recent first which makes finding sets a little more work) 2) add by folder (again folders seem to be listed in order created but at least sets are together making it easier to add whole sets.) However, when you add folders to a class, the individual sets are added - not the folders.

          In a nutshell:
          Create sets (Say FMR Lesson 1, FMR Lesson 2)
          Create folder (Say FMR)
          Create class (Classical Studies Child 1)
          Add sets (by set or by folder) to class
          Add students to class
          Thank you for this!
          I'm getting ready to organize our Quizlet sets for the year, and this will be very helpful. For some reason, I just couldn't wrap my brain around it.
          Plans for 2020-21

          Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

          DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
          DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
          DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
          DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
          DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
          DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

          Comment


            #6
            Sorry to bump this up, but I'm another Quizlet newbie in need of help. When using the Flashcards, the student just looks at the card and then clicks it for the definition? So it really is just exactly like using physical flashcards? What is the benefit of this over flashcards?
            2018/2019
            Dd 12: MP 7A and First Form Greek
            Ds 10: MP 5M
            Ds 5: MP K

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Angela View Post
              Sorry to bump this up, but I'm another Quizlet newbie in need of help. When using the Flashcards, the student just looks at the card and then clicks it for the definition? So it really is just exactly like using physical flashcards? What is the benefit of this over flashcards?
              The benefit really comes from the other study options on Quizlet:

              Click image for larger version

Name:	screencapture-quizlet-55971803-learn-2019-01-03-10_15_45.png
Views:	236
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	108182Click image for larger version

Name:	screencapture-quizlet-55971803-test-2019-01-03-10_16_21.png
Views:	183
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	108183Click image for larger version

Name:	screencapture-quizlet-275878448-iliad-19-21-flash-cards-2019-01-03-10_23_49.png
Views:	195
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	108184Click image for larger version

Name:	screencapture-quizlet-55971803-learn-2019-01-03-10_15_59.png
Views:	192
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	108185Click image for larger version

Name:	screencapture-quizlet-55971803-learn-2019-01-03-10_15_27.png
Views:	193
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	108186
              ​​​​​​


              My kids can know exactly what they need to work more on, they can give themselves pre-tests (helped my son greatly with test anxiety!), etc. And if I log in to their account I can see an objective status of their progress because Quizlet tells you how well you have/have not mastered each study set.

              One note: If you have kids in the same core/subject they'll either need separate accounts, or you can keep them in your account and make duplicates of the various sets with each child's name in the title. Otherwise, they'll overwrite each other's progress status.
              Last edited by jen1134; 01-03-2019, 11:27 AM.
              Jennifer
              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

              DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
              DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
              DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
              DS11: SC 4
              DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
              DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
              DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

              Comment

              Working...
              X