Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latin recitation pronunciation (aka...HELP!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin recitation pronunciation (aka...HELP!)

I tried leading the kids in their Latin recitation today (we fell off the bandwagon during the school year) and my lack of pronunciation skills drove them nuts. I looked at the Latin Recitation CD/DVD (the purple set) that Mrs. Lowe did, but she pronounces the words differently than what they've learned from Mr. Moore on the DVD's. Mr. Moore's pronunciation is also what is used in our co-op. Is there a CD or DVD that has Mr. Moore doing the complete Latin recitation??
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
    MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
    MPOA: High School Comp. II
    HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
    MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
    MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
    HSC: Modern European History

DS12
    7M with:
    Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
    SC Level 4

DD9
    3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
    Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
    SC Level C

Re: Latin recitation pronunciation (aka...HELP!)

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
    I tried leading the kids in their Latin recitation today (we fell off the bandwagon during the school year) and my lack of pronunciation skills drove them nuts. I looked at the Latin Recitation CD/DVD (the purple set) that Mrs. Lowe did, but she pronounces the words differently than what they've learned from Mr. Moore on the DVD's. Mr. Moore's pronunciation is also what is used in our co-op. Is there a CD or DVD that has Mr. Moore doing the complete Latin recitation??
    Can you define “complete recitation”? The second form Latin dvd with Mr. Moore says “full recitation” on the last disk, but I haven’t listened to it.

I did buy the purple disk two years ago at Sodalitas. I noticed Mrs. Lowe pronounced some things differently than Mr. Moore, but I suspect that the new DVDs will vary some as well. Much depends on where the person is from. I wouldn’t get too hung up on pronounciation, especially since MP doesn’t always indicate where all the long vowels are.
    Dorinda

For 2019-2020
    DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
    DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
    DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
    DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
      Can you define “complete recitation”? The second form Latin dvd with Mr. Moore says “full recitation” on the last disk, but I haven’t listened to it.

I did buy the purple disk two years ago at Sodalitas. I noticed Mrs. Lowe pronounced some things differently than Mr. Moore, but I suspect that the new DVDs will vary some as well. Much depends on where the person is from. I wouldn’t get too hung up on pronounciation, especially since MP doesn’t always indicate where all the long vowels are.
      I'm definitely okay with variances in pronunciation -- it's just that the kids couldn't follow me when I said something differently than what they're used to. They tend to be sticklers for consistency so it really got in the way of their reciting.

As for "complete recitation", we're starting TFL this year so I at least need FFL-TFL. I have it in printed form but it's not helping since I apparently don't say it "right".
      Jennifer

DS16

DS15

DS12
      7M with:

DS11
      SC Level 4

DD9

DD7/8
      Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
      SC Level C

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
        I'm definitely okay with variances in pronunciation -- it's just that the kids couldn't follow me when I said something differently than what they're used to. They tend to be sticklers for consistency so it really got in the way of their reciting.

As for "complete recitation", we're starting TFL this year so I at least need FFL-TFL. I have it in printed form but it's not helping since I apparently don't say it "right".
        If they don’t like your pronounciation, why don’t you make them record their own?
        Dorinda

For 2019-2020
        DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
        DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
        DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
        DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

If they don’t like your pronounciation, why don’t you make them record their own?
          ooohhh...I hadn't thought of that!
          Jennifer

DS16

DS15

DS12
          7M with:

DS11
          SC Level 4

DD9

DD7/8
          Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
          SC Level C

Comment

I really like this suggestion for your situation, Jen. As Dorinda pointed out, students should not overly focus on pronunciation. One's native language and dialect will affect one's Latin, thus creating the seeming "discrepancies" between Mrs. Lowe and Mr. Moore, and a teacher from the Northeast, and a teacher from the UK, and so on.

Ideally, your students would learn to be comfortable with some variance. In fact, they will be forced to once they leave Mr. Moore and begin TFL. In the meantime, teaching that comfort may not be worth the battle, so a student recording might be the perfect solution!
            Michael
            Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
            X