OT: not using Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: not using Facebook

Thanks for the input, all. Some of you have very strong opinions on this. I have found, in my experiments with all this, that NOT using FB on my phone is key. Choosing to only use it when I'm at my computer takes care of some of the problems. Not all, but some. Thanks for helping me continue to think through the issue.
    Melanie
    2021-2022: 13th year homeschooling. 8th MP year.

A, 12th grade: online classes with MPOA and TPS
    E, 10th grade: 10th grade core; math with MPOA, biology at co-op
    B, 7th grade: 7th grade core; math and comp with MPOA

Comment

I thi k thread has pretty much covered it all already. Personally, I am trying to merge away from FB for a million reasons. It was great when it was just for college kids to network. Now, not so much. Everything I have on FB is automatic from another feed such as my blog or other social media. Twitter is some thing I have but have never kept up with, it too is automatic. Pinterest was awesome before ads, now no. Instagram is my place. With that said, my fellows are family, cross stitch inspiration, and real-life homeschool snippets. Just recently Instagram has had a lot of changes, and I found out FB bought them plus there are ads... so it's still my favorite.

As to hours, I Google search on my phone and get hours and contact information and the rest of that there. My social media is more for promoting blog reviews and cross stitch. My actual socializing is in person, text messages, and on the phone.
      Margaret of GA, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife & Mama

Trekking along at a student self-pace...
      DD Summer 2009 · 7th
      DD Summer 2011 · SC
      DS Summer 2014 · 2nd
      DD Summer 2017 · Preschool/SC
      DS Autumn 2019 • Tot-preschool
      MP, Seton, Sonlight, Beau. Feet, Notgrass, IEW, Saxon

Memoria Scholé Academy 2011-2022
      Blog: Creative Madness Mama
      @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

I'm going to be the weirdo on this thread, but I do use Facebook and Instagram and enjoy them both. How? I've hidden and unfollowed people, pages, businesses, etc. that aren't generally holding up the good, beautiful, and true. I'm not saying I don't want to see anything negative, but I think we all know what I mean. I keep up with friends and missionaries from around the globe (including my family most recently) and cherish those connections. I love it when needs for prayer and material support can be unleashed and met at a moment's notice, 24/7. I love connecting people I know but who don't know each other for jobs (I've helped quite a few times this way--so fun!), resources, and opportunities. I'm a Malcolm Gladwell "Connecter," 100%. For me, social media allows me to do this more effectively across town, the US, and the globe. What a dream come true for people like me!

Now that I co-own a business (cottage school!) social media is a healthy and low cost platform for sharing information and raising awareness of what we are doing. That's very hard to beat. FB/IG and a website are about all you need these days in terms of marketing. We do all three for under $75/year. That savings converts to lower prices for families which is our commitment.

Here are some of my rules for myself:
        -Taking up too much time? Delete if off the phone. The downside is not being able to post photos from my phone directly, which is usually the point.
        -It's a go-to add-on for any times of fasting. Routinely stepping away several times a year keeps the relationship much more healthy.
        -Overposters or negative Nelly's get unfollowed or unfriended. I can only take so much of anyone online.
        -I use Instagram as my main platform and copy posts over to Facebook. IG is a much happier place for me.
        -I don't discuss politics, doctrine, or curricula online. Those are face to face conversations. If I want to talk MP, I come to the forum. I don't talk about MP out on the webs other than "Yay! Box Day!" and such. I used to, but I honestly don't have time. I've decided to invest in those who are coming to MP and want to learn how to use it better as opposed to convincing the world it's the best. It is the best--they'll find out.

If I had never used it I would be fine without it. But I know that I am deeply enriched by some of those whom I follow. There's one gentleman in town who's a pastor, theologian, and philosopher whose daily posts are print-worthy each day. It's like my own personal daily scholé. My biggest hurdle is not reading every amazing article and post that my friends share. My friends are fascinating and they post interesting things. I have to stop reading online, even about classical education, and pick up my bedside table books. Reading really good books helps temper that.

One tremendous and unexpected blessing is the "memories" or "on this day" notifications that pop up. I adore seeing what happened on this day over the last decade and most of the time, I call the kids over to look, too. Usually I exclaim, "Awwww!" and the kids respond, "What, is that me when I was a baby?" And then we laugh and look at it together. In many ways, this is a gentle and beautiful way of giving thanks, savoring memories, and thinking about cherishing the day before me. For those who read Ann Voskamp, this is like 1000 Gifts but with photos. I savor it.

So, there's a different take for you to throw it into the mix. It's a tool and how you use the tool determines what you can do with it (and what it can do to you).

Best wishes as you sort it out!

--XOXO, the Weirdo
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
        DS Hillsdale College freshman
        DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
        DD 8th • HLN & Home
        DS 5th • HLN & Home
        Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
        Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post

One tremendous and unexpected blessing is the "memories" or "on this day" notifications that pop up. I adore seeing what happened on this day over the last decade and most of the time, I call the kids over to look, too. Usually I exclaim, "Awwww!" and the kids respond, "What, is that me when I was a baby?" And then we laugh and look at it together. In many ways, this is a gentle and beautiful way of giving thanks, savoring memories, and thinking about cherishing the day before me. For those who read Ann Voskamp, this is like 1000 Gifts but with photos. I savor it.

So, there's a different take for you to throw it into the mix. It's a tool and how you use the tool determines what you can do with it (and what it can do to you).

Best wishes as you sort it out!

--XOXO, the Weirdo
          I enjoy the memories page, too, although I'm a little annoyed that FB is basically holding all my mothering memories hostage. My own fault for posting them all there. I intend to post more to my blog, so that my things are in my own space. But the blog doesn't get the same response (very few readers) and sometimes the response is fun!

I think I've ended up with the same conclusion - it's a tool. My own self-control is really the decisive factor.
          Melanie
          2021-2022: 13th year homeschooling. 8th MP year.

A, 12th grade: online classes with MPOA and TPS
          E, 10th grade: 10th grade core; math with MPOA, biology at co-op
          B, 7th grade: 7th grade core; math and comp with MPOA

Comment

I just wanted to thank all of you for sharing the reasons you aren't on facebook. I deactivated it after some thought and like getting rid of our tv a month ago I feel nothing but peace about it.

So- thanks for putting the seed in my head.

Jen
            Homeschooling since the dark ages of 2001

14 yo son- MP 8th grade
            Four graduates (20,23,25,27)

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
              ...until I realized I had an amazing time, and so did my kids, and that is enough.
              I *love* this! So true.

~Emily

Comment

Working...
              X