Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP Grade 8

Good Morning~

We're going into our 7th year of homeschooling. This will be our first year using MP.

We are planning to use the whole curriculum for my three boys (see signature). However, since we've used a whole hodgepodge of materials over the years with my oldest, it's been difficult to decide whether to try the whole MP Grade 8 core or blend in some of what we've already been using.

I've read quite a bit here on the forum about "trusting the curriculum". For so long I've created our curriculum each year based on what I "thought" each child needed. This is quite a change as it is! But I'm excited.

For those of you seasoned MP users, what are your thoughts on this?
    2021~2022
    DD (16) Independent Study (Greek, Piano, Voice)
    DS (12) SC4 ADD, Dyslexia
    DS2 (9) SC1 ADHD, ASD
    DS3 (6) SCC

Re: MP Grade 8

Originally posted by GraceEllen View Post
    Good Morning~

We're going into our 7th year of homeschooling. This will be our first year using MP.

We are planning to use the whole curriculum for my three boys (see signature). However, since we've used a whole hodgepodge of materials over the years with my oldest, it's been difficult to decide whether to try the whole MP Grade 8 core or blend in some of what we've already been using.

I've read quite a bit here on the forum about "trusting the curriculum". For so long I've created our curriculum each year based on what I "thought" each child needed. This is quite a change as it is! But I'm excited.

For those of you seasoned MP users, what are your thoughts on this?
    Hello and welcome!

If you don't mind, it would be helpful to know what you've been using with your son in order to best give advice re: placement. Many of the moms here are familiar with other curriculum options, so they may well recognize what you've used and can give really good advice about what grade levels these will translate to when switching over to MP.

My own dd is entering 8th grade this fall and I'm really excited! The last year before high school! *Wait, now I'm feeling trepidacious about high school. All 8th grade moms should gather on this thread for a cyber group hug, then we'll help GraceEllen get her kiddos on track!* <3
    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I'm not a long-time MP user, but I am jumping in with 8M (mostly) for my 8th & 10th graders. After much consideration and discussion with my kids, I decided to stick with our current math (CLE), writing (Writing With Skill), and grammar (Grammar for the Well Trained Mind). I'd already purchased science, so we will be using different science this year as well, but I may switch it the following year. We are starting with First Form Latin, and I'm hoping to move a bit quicker through the program, at least for my 10th grader. We are following the 8M program "as is" for everything else.

One thing I like about MP is how perfectly balanced the cores are. I'm trying to keep that balance with my substitutions. For example, our grammar program is supposed to be scheduled 4 days per week, but I think we'll use it 2 days per week (as EGR is scheduled) and go half speed. Otherwise, I think it will be grammar overload alongside Latin! I'm trying to match the core as much as I can with regards to work load and the time needed to complete each subject. We will have an extra day of science each week--I couldn't figure out how to cut that down any more, and my 10th grader probably needs at least 2 days per week for her science credit anyway. Our days should look fairly similar to the days of those using the full core, aside from the extra science lesson.

I am very excited about the coming year. We just finished up our first week and are off to a good start. We will be taking our "summer break" in the fall when the weather is a bit nicer.
      Last edited by HollyS; 07-14-2018, 09:45 AM.
      Holly,
      mom to:
      DD 16 & DS 13--8M
      DD 11 & DD 8--3A
      DS 4--jr. K

Comment

Holly, thanks for sharing your plan. I am in that dilemma of how to blend materials and days, too.

Mary, how sweet of you to say.

I am happy to share what we did last year with my oldest-daughter: amblesideonline Yr7 Lite, Latin for Children A CAP, Saxon/MUS Pre-Algebra (she just started), Spanish 1x per week (she's billingual so just vocab/grammar work Duolingo), additional lives of the Saints through group readings, with Bible, prayers, memory, poetry, art, music, geography. She has not used a formal writing or grammar program since the First Language Lessons series and some Writing with Ease. However, we've worked with different online resources to teach grammar and writing an essay. She did write many narrations, personal narratives & book reports.

For this year, I had planned to use MP Literature & Poetry and American/Modern from the Grade 8. My idea was to sub longer readings on the Saints for Classical this year, Abeka Grammar, Latin FC B [or possibly pausing Latin-!-and starting Greek-as my DD wishes], Lost Tools of Writing, MUS Pre-Algebra, Apologia Science, maybe A Children's History of the Church (paideapress) instead of Book of the Ancient World. This is all up for discussion except for the Math & Saint's lives.

Am I doing my daughter a disservice by not using the whole -or majority-of the Core?
        Last edited by GraceEllen; 07-14-2018, 05:24 PM.
        2021~2022
        DS2 (9) SC1 ADHD, ASD
        DS3 (6) SCC

Comment

Good Morning!

I made some progress over the weekend and decided to use the MP Composition & Sciences. I'm still reviewing the Grammar Placement & deciding on Christian/Church History.

Any comments or input are welcome!

I also have an additional question~as to how teacher-intensive the material is for MP8?

Thanks again.
          Last edited by GraceEllen; 07-16-2018, 12:46 PM.
          2021~2022
          DS2 (9) SC1 ADHD, ASD
          DS3 (6) SCC

Comment

GraceEllen - is your daughter using the Paideia Classics' Children's History of the Church? My friend owns/runs that company! We use those materials to complement Christian Studies, as well. <3

Okay. Thoughts:

1. If you can swing it, I think your daughter would do really well with the Form Series for Latin. Not picking on CAP's Latin at all; rather, thinking that if she can switch to FFL or SFL (I don't know how CAP's Latin A translates - anyone else know this?), she would get to Henle II -or- even a year of translation before graduation, depending on which Form is appropriate for her.
            2. If you do switch over to the Forms, then English Grammar Recitation would work really well (it was written to go along with the Forms series). 8th grade goes with EGR V; however, if you're concerned about any gaps in grammar, you could certainly swing down to EGR III or IV. This is one area I don't know a ton about because, though we did use First Language Lessons and WWE, I used these many moons ago and I am not familiar with the program beyond about the 3rd or 4th grade level. This is an area where another mama (or MP staff!) would need to jump in and give better info.
            3. If your math program is working for you, keep it!
            4. Science...I am basking in the glow of the half-day breakout session I attended last week, led by John Mays. He runs Novare Science and, while I liked the textbooks already, I am swooning over them now. He uses a mastery approach and kids who study Novare science the way he intends for them to learn it really know their stuff. These books are written from biblical worldview and the content is solid scientifically. They are a natural next-step after Memoria Press offerings. *Gosh, am I gushing? Yes, I'm gushing!*
            5. I don't know much about Lost Tools of Writing but I have heard good things about it.
            6. MP materials at this level are designed in such a way that students can study as independently as they need to. If your dd is a self-motivated student, she could likely use much of the curriculum fairly independently. Some subjects do require a bit more on the part of parents (thinking of composition, which you may not be using, and possibly math - also, you'd want to be looking over homework regularly and administering quizzes/tests).

I wouldn't say that you're doing your daughter a disservice by not using the entire core. Rather, it is easier to use a full core because the materials are designed to work together and because you have a curriculum guide to structure your days. That being said, you have been teaching your daughter all along and you've found some other things that work well for you. Instead of re-inventing the wheel, especially since she's already in the 8th grade, go with what works and switch out to MP options in the areas you want/need to make changes. You're obviously going to find huge MP fans here because, well, many of us here have found MP at various points in our homeschooling careers - some from the start and some at various points in their children's lives - and we've been thrilled with the results! However, what you won't find is anyone making you feel guilty or forcing you into any decisions. This is a pretty warm and friendly place. <3

That being said, I hope the suggestions have been helpful and I'm confident that others will come along and add their thoughts.
            Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
            DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
            DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Hi Grace Ellen,

I am glad you are taking your time and looking at things carefully as you decide. I am a person who tends to look at every single option before making a decision - which means, I usually take a really long time to decide!

You are asking a couple of questions that I think are very important toward your decision. One I want to touch on is whether you are doing a disservice to your daughter if you are not using more of the Core. I think what you mean is, is it going to be harmful in some way to her education - which I would easily say, No, it probably won’t be harmful. There are lots of very good resources out there, as you know, and your daughter can probably learn a great deal with whatever you do choose to use.

So perhaps what you mean to ask is, will we be missing out on something by not using more of the Core? In which case, I would say, Yes, I think you will be missing out on something by not using more of the Core. And that is the cohesiveness of a very well-ordered curriculum. Each part of MP’s grade levels is put together with the rest in mind. There is no excess, nor is there any filler. Each day of the CG is complete, and rich, and full. Each week is roughly the same routine as the last - which means that as the school year rolls along, your daughter can develop a greater sense of responsibility for her own work. She can use the CG herself to do much of her tasks without your direct involvement, helping prepare her for high school and beyond, and freeing up more time with you and the littles.

There are so many programs available, and each one has made choices about what to include or leave out. This is where you have seen other posts talk about it being hard to trust. The options you have laid out are good choices. But they are still not going to be as convenient for you as having everything put together in one place the way MP has done for you.

Also, my personal experience is that the guides MP has created are across the board a better way for students to learn how to read, write, think, and study well than any other.

Your daughter is at the cusp of her high school years. Maybe something that would help you is to look at the Highlands Latin School website (www.thelatinschool.org), which is the model of what our MP kids follow at home. Look at the big picture of what gets accomplished by the end of high school. This is what is possible for your daughter. No one else gets students as far in Latin as MP does. (If she wants to add Greek, great, but focus on Latin first). No one else studies the full texts of so many great works; everyone else does snippets, or reads so many that kids don’t really remember them well. If you look at next year as being a step along this path, and see everything that is ahead, what else are you really looking for?

AMDG,
              Sarah
              Last edited by KF2000; 07-16-2018, 10:49 PM.
              2020-2021
              16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
              DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
              DS, 17
              DD, 15
              DD, 13
              DD, 11
              DD, 9
              DD, 7
              +DS+
              DS, 2

Comment

Mary & Sarah, Thank you both so much for taking the time to respond to my questions!

To be honest, as I have looked over all of the materials for Grade8, I am impressed. I really like what the curriculum manual has to offer. Especially after years of creating my own templates (admittedly, I enjoy the process, but it is arduous!).

If I'd like to follow up would a private message be alright?

~Grace
                2021~2022
                DS2 (9) SC1 ADHD, ASD
                DS3 (6) SCC

Comment

Sure thing!

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  2020-2021
                  DS, 17
                  DD, 15
                  DD, 13
                  DD, 11
                  DD, 9
                  DD, 7
                  +DS+
                  DS, 2

Comment

Thank you. I “thought” that I pm’d you both but it doesn’t show as sent.

So, maybe this question will benefit others:

If we do the (modified for level) MP 8 Core, plus a online chant class (2x week) & 40 min a day -4xweek-teaching SC A to her younger brother, is it do-able?
                    Our school time, after group, is 9:30-2:00/2:30.

I don’t want to overload her as she’s also going to be pianist for pre-orchestra and it’s about 90 minutes of practice a day + lessons and performances. The piano practice is not during school hours.

I’ve poured over the materials, sample manual, etc but there’s nothing like the voice of experience
                    2021~2022
                    DS2 (9) SC1 ADHD, ASD
                    DS3 (6) SCC

Comment

Hi Grace Ellen!

I did get your PM, so it did go through, but I will answer here since you asked both ways. (BTW, there is an option you have to click in order to actually save a copy of sent messages)

My suggestion is simply to give it a try this year and see how things go. You really won’t know until you try, right?

Now, that being said, since she is new to MP, I would expect the beginning of the year to go a lot more slowly than it will go as the year moves along and she gains experience. So I would start a couple of weeks earlier than you anticipated, let her take two weeks to get the first week of work done, (repeat that for the second week if necessary) so that by the fifth week, she might only be starting the third week of work. But she will have a much better handle on the expectations that way, and also, you will start to see how to organize her work with her schedule. We often move longer/shorter subjects to days that we have more/less time. Just because it is planned for you does not mean it has to be set in stone. You can adjust to suit her schedule - but it is easier to do that with the plan already laid out for you!

Another point about this first year is that you don’t have to end at the end of the “school year.” Have a goal for an end time, but we have found that sometimes we need an extra week or two (or more) depending on how the year has gone. I had one high schooler who worked at a farm for 8th-10th grades. She started at one day a week, but by 10th, she was there three and sometimes four days a week during the really busy seasons. Her school year became incredibly flexible!!! (And long - basically year ‘round). But that is what she wanted to have time to do, she loved it, and she was determined to make it work.

It can be great to have interests like your daughter has because it develops more time-management skills than if they have all the time in the world to do school. I am actually hoping for some new activities in our next move for my middle school group to begin to develop those habits! Believe me, I have one who NEEDS it! Ha!

AMDG,
                      Sarah
                      2020-2021
                      DS, 17
                      DD, 15
                      DD, 13
                      DD, 11
                      DD, 9
                      DD, 7
                      +DS+
                      DS, 2

Comment

since she is new to MP, I would expect the beginning of the year to go a lot more slowly than it will go as the year moves along and she gains experience. So I would start a couple of weeks earlier than you anticipated, let her take two weeks to get the first week of work done, (repeat that for the second week if necessary) so that by the fifth week, she might only be starting the third week of work. But she will have a much better handle on the expectations that way, and also, you will start to see how to organize her work with her schedule. We often move longer/shorter subjects to days that we have more/less time. Just because it is planned for you does not mean it has to be set in stone. You can adjust to suit her schedule - but it is easier to do that with the plan already laid out for you!

Another point about this first year is that you don’t have to end at the end of the “school year.” Have a goal for an end time, but we have found that sometimes we need an extra week or two (or more) depending on how the year has gone. I had one high-schooler who worked at a farm for 8th-10th grades. She started at one day a week, but by 10th, she was there three and sometimes four days a week during the really busy seasons. Her school year became incredibly flexible!!! (And long - basically year ‘round). But that is what she wanted to have time to do, she loved it, and she was determined to make it work.

It can be great to have interests like your daughter has because it develops more time-management skills than if they have all the time in the world to do school.

Sarah, Thank you for your comments. I love the idea of having her ease into the program. We often start on a Thursday, and take 7 school days just to slowly add things, so this will work well.

What a thing your daughter was able to do--pursue her passions and continue her academics. That is so helpful to read as we start this journey using MP.

Thank you very much!
                        2021~2022
                        DS2 (9) SC1 ADHD, ASD
                        DS3 (6) SCC

Comment

Working...
                        X