If you do cottage school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you do cottage school

Would you say it is extremely valuable for your homeschooling?
    My daughter is second grade so would have to do whole day

We are in Louisville
    Is the cost listed on the website for the whole year?

What is your top reason for doing cottage school?

It will be hard to swing financially, and pick up and drop off will involve me and 4 younger kids out just to drop off and pick up her

Re: If you do cottage school

Originally posted by HeatherE View Post

We are in Louisville

It will be hard to swing financially, and pick up and drop off will involve me and 4 younger kids out just to drop off and pick up her
    There are about a million different reasons we utilize the cottage school -- but I'll try to keep it brief.

This fall will be our fifth year of attending the Cottage School. I work part time outside the home, and if not for the Cottage School, my homeschool would not be successful. Not mincing words, not sugar coating. I would have thrown in the towel LONG AGO.

Top reasons for attending:
    Master teachers --- the teachers my daughter and sons have had KNOW the curriculum, as many of them are teaching in the full time school here. (HLS)
    Classroom experience for my children, in a very controlled environment
    Hiring out subjects I'm not confident in teaching myself
    Exposing my children to excellent role models in the teachers and staff
    Structure for myself and my children --- I can't slack off, because I'm beholden to the school calendar

Cost for 2nd grade should be around $1400 plus books. That's the entire year.

My husband handles drop off, and I sometimes take care of pick up. If you live in town, you may be able to network and create a carpool group to lighten the load a bit.
    Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
    DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
    DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
    DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
    DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
    DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

We are in Louisville

Good morning,

I'm so glad Dianna shared her experience with you. (Thanks, Dianna!) I will simply add that prices for all the classes at the Louisville cottage school can be viewed by clicking here.
      Michael
      Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
        There are about a million different reasons we utilize the cottage school -- but I'll try to keep it brief.

This fall will be our fifth year of attending the Cottage School. I work part time outside the home, and if not for the Cottage School, my homeschool would not be successful. Not mincing words, not sugar coating. I would have thrown in the towel LONG AGO.

Top reasons for attending:
        Master teachers --- the teachers my daughter and sons have had KNOW the curriculum, as many of them are teaching in the full time school here. (HLS)
        Classroom experience for my children, in a very controlled environment
        Hiring out subjects I'm not confident in teaching myself
        Exposing my children to excellent role models in the teachers and staff
        Structure for myself and my children --- I can't slack off, because I'm beholden to the school calendar

Cost for 2nd grade should be around $1400 plus books. That's the entire year.

My husband handles drop off, and I sometimes take care of pick up. If you live in town, you may be able to network and create a carpool group to lighten the load a bit.
        Thank you both,
        Does the curriculum guide weekly schedule become altered a lot, or would I just continue onto a weekend day to make up for the cottage school day?

What tempts me is having backup when learning new things like Latin on what is a new curriculum for us, I am not confident in my abilities yet

Comment

Thank you both,
          Does the curriculum guide weekly schedule become altered a lot, or would I just continue onto a weekend day to make up for the cottage school day?

What tempts me is having backup when learning new things like Latin on what is a new curriculum for us, I am not confident in my abilities yet

If you open up your Curriculum Guide, everything you see on Monday is covered at the Cottage School. (Referring to second grade )

For my older daughter (7th grade), we shift any non Cottage School subjects to a different day. Meaning ... She takes Latin, Classical Studies, literature and Composition in the Cottage School. That's a full day.. if she can get math in, too, I'm THRILLED. If not, we just do it the next day.
          Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
          DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
          DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
          DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
          DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
          DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

Hi Heather! Were you at Sodalitas? I remember meeting a few local
            Ladies and was wondering if you were one of them.

My oldest three attend Spring Meadows and we all really love it! For us it is extremely valuable. I have had many outside pressures the last few years and teaching every subject in four cores was nearing impossible for me. The cottage school helps keep us accountable to a calendar school year for four meaty classes. Those big four will always be finished before summer break. That does mean you lose a little of the flexibility of homeschooling, but for us that was a great trade off. There are classroom skills that are difficult to implement at home, for example reading aloud among peers. We, my kids and myself, have developed friendships. There is a sense of community in choosing a classical education and being with others that have made the same choice. My youngest still needs at elbow teaching and her work was getting put on the back burner because I was working more with my older three. I am keeping her home for one more year because she is my youngest, my only girl, and I feel like she’s been shortchanged when it comes to one on one time. That one day of just us is really special to me.

I realize your situation is different and you are considering sending your oldest. What’s your reason for considering Spring Meadows? Will naps be interrupted for the four younger children? How far is the commute? These are just questions for you to ponder. Hopefully they will help you with your decision. 😊
            Joyfully, Courtney
            DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

Originally posted by RunnerJoy View Post
              Hi Heather! Were you at Sodalitas? I remember meeting a few local
              Ladies and was wondering if you were one of them.

My oldest three attend Spring Meadows and we all really love it! For us it is extremely valuable. I have had many outside pressures the last few years and teaching every subject in four cores was nearing impossible for me. The cottage school helps keep us accountable to a calendar school year for four meaty classes. Those big four will always be finished before summer break. That does mean you lose a little of the flexibility of homeschooling, but for us that was a great trade off. There are classroom skills that are difficult to implement at home, for example reading aloud among peers. We, my kids and myself, have developed friendships. There is a sense of community in choosing a classical education and being with others that have made the same choice. My youngest still needs at elbow teaching and her work was getting put on the back burner because I was working more with my older three. I am keeping her home for one more year because she is my youngest, my only girl, and I feel like she’s been shortchanged when it comes to one on one time. That one day of just us is really special to me.

I realize your situation is different and you are considering sending your oldest. What’s your reason for considering Spring Meadows? Will naps be interrupted for the four younger children? How far is the commute? These are just questions for you to ponder. Hopefully they will help you with your decision. 😊
              Thanks everyone.

We may have talked, bashful dark haired lady with glasses living in Louisville. Naps may be slightly interrupted but not much. Let’s just say something has happened in my life and status to make me think I may need more support this year 😬 ☺️ Commute is about 20 min.

Comment

Working...
              X