Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greek Myths Second Edition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Greek Myths Second Edition

    I am about ready to start my younger child on Greek Myths. When I went to order a student book for her I noticed they are now marked as second edition. How different are they from the previous edition? I have the older teacher book from when my older child did Greek Myths a number of years ago. Do I need to order a new teacher's manual?

    #2
    Re: Greek Myths Second Edition

    Following this for an update.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

    2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
    DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
    DD 7th • HLN & Home
    DS 4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

    Teaching TFL and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Greek Myths Second Edition

      Originally posted by park academy View Post
      I am about ready to start my younger child on Greek Myths. When I went to order a student book for her I noticed they are now marked as second edition. How different are they from the previous edition? I have the older teacher book from when my older child did Greek Myths a number of years ago. Do I need to order a new teacher's manual?
      Good morning,

      The change from the 1st edition to the 2nd was primarily a reformat, but the two editions are incompatible. However, the Teacher Manual is eligible for a free replacement if it was purchased new directly form Memoria Press.

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Greek Myths Second Edition

        Thank you! I will contact the appropriate people to get a replacement teacher book and order a new student text.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Greek Myths Second Edition

          Were the flashcards updated as well?
          Joyfully, Courtney
          DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Greek Myths Second Edition

            Originally posted by RunnerJoy View Post
            Were the flashcards updated as well?
            No. The change was mostly reformatting, so flashcards weren't affected.

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Greek Myths Second Edition

              Originally posted by Michael View Post
              No. The change was mostly reformatting, so flashcards weren't affected.
              Thanks, Michael!
              Joyfully, Courtney
              DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Greek Myths Second Edition

                Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Good morning,

                The change from the 1st edition to the 2nd was primarily a reformat, but the two editions are incompatible. However, the Teacher Manual is eligible for a free replacement if it was purchased new directly form Memoria Press.
                Can you elaborate on why they are incompatible? From the sample I can see that things shifted on pages, but that the content at least for the sample is the same. Would I be able to use the old teacher guide if I knew the page numbers wouldn't line up, or are there other issues I would experience?

                I bought this used for my own self study but will need it next year when we reach 3rd grade.

                Thanks,
                Laura
                2019-2020
                DD8, MP3/SC5-6
                DD6, MP1
                DD5, MPK

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Greek Myths Second Edition

                  Originally posted by ljallen44 View Post
                  Can you elaborate on why they are incompatible? From the sample I can see that things shifted on pages, but that the content at least for the sample is the same. Would I be able to use the old teacher guide if I knew the page numbers wouldn't line up, or are there other issues I would experience?

                  I bought this used for my own self study but will need it next year when we reach 3rd grade.

                  Thanks,
                  Laura
                  Apologies for the delayed response. A little research had to be done

                  Yes, you could make the old Teacher work with the new Student, and perhaps I should not have used the word "incompatible." A better word might be "inconvenient." The new TG, in addition to different page numbers, contains updated maps, "Jeopardy!" reviews, lesson number references for drill questions, and clearer identification of what material from the lessons will be on tests. We also did a full re-proof. When we looked at everything we had updated, we felt it would be too difficult to use the old TMs and decided to offer the free replacement.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Greek Myths Second Edition

                    Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Apologies for the delayed response. A little research had to be done

                    Yes, you could make the old Teacher work with the new Student, and perhaps I should not have used the word "incompatible." A better word might be "inconvenient." The new TG, in addition to different page numbers, contains updated maps, "Jeopardy!" reviews, lesson number references for drill questions, and clearer identification of what material from the lessons will be on tests. We also did a full re-proof. When we looked at everything we had updated, we felt it would be too difficult to use the old TMs and decided to offer the free replacement.
                    Laura, I thought I'd add that many of these additions were made in response to homeschool users' requests for them. The maps in the older edition could be hard to use, and the tests for Greek Myths are very challenging. Folks often think they are harder than the Famous Men of Rome tests even though the Greek Myths is for younger children.

                    The new TG seems to be a good value, given what I've been seeing on the forums over the last few years.

                    On the other hand, if it seems an unwise use of your resources to purchase new materials then you could plan ahead a bit more over the summer. You could look over the tests and decide if you wish to use them at all. If so, then you could clearly mark the material for the tests in your Teacher Guide, and in the Student Guide if you wish. You could also go over the mapwork and make sure that you can find the correct maps & locations easily, making notes as you wish and posting here if there are any troublesome spots.

                    And finally, come up with a plan for regular review and memory work, maybe adding information to the drill questions if needed for the tests. I often find it easiest to run the oral memory work from my teacher manual, focusing on the bits that will be tested.

                    HTH!
                    Ana, mama to
                    ds A, 15 yo
                    ds N, 10 yo

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Greek Myths Second Edition

                      Originally posted by serendipitous journey View Post
                      Laura, I thought I'd add that many of these additions were made in response to homeschool users' requests for them.
                      Yes, we are so grateful for all of the feedback provided by our customers. You help us help future users (including your own rising students), so thank you all very much!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Greek Myths Second Edition

                        I noticed the book also has a new cover on it. Is this book the same, with just a new cover? (it's black instead of gold?)
                        Christine

                        (2022/2023)
                        DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
                        DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
                        DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

                        Previous Years
                        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
                        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
                        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Greek Myths Second Edition

                          Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                          I noticed the book also has a new cover on it. Is this book the same, with just a new cover? (it's black instead of gold?)
                          The only change, besides the beautiful new cover, is a new Afterword about the D'Aulaires. Otherwise, the book is the same.

                          HTH!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Greek Myths Second Edition

                            Originally posted by serendipitous journey View Post
                            Laura, I thought I'd add that many of these additions were made in response to homeschool users' requests for them. The maps in the older edition could be hard to use, and the tests for Greek Myths are very challenging. Folks often think they are harder than the Famous Men of Rome tests even though the Greek Myths is for younger children.

                            The new TG seems to be a good value, given what I've been seeing on the forums over the last few years.

                            On the other hand, if it seems an unwise use of your resources to purchase new materials then you could plan ahead a bit more over the summer. You could look over the tests and decide if you wish to use them at all. If so, then you could clearly mark the material for the tests in your Teacher Guide, and in the Student Guide if you wish. You could also go over the mapwork and make sure that you can find the correct maps & locations easily, making notes as you wish and posting here if there are any troublesome spots.

                            And finally, come up with a plan for regular review and memory work, maybe adding information to the drill questions if needed for the tests. I often find it easiest to run the oral memory work from my teacher manual, focusing on the bits that will be tested.

                            HTH!
                            Thanks for this observation. I have read about some of the feedback on Greek Myths and with Michael's response on the changes, I agree that getting the new version is the best idea. I'll have 3 kids go through it so those changes will be appreciated. Thanks for taking time to bring up your thoughts on this!

                            -Laura
                            2019-2020
                            DD8, MP3/SC5-6
                            DD6, MP1
                            DD5, MPK

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Greek Myths Second Edition

                              Originally posted by ljallen44 View Post
                              Thanks for this observation. I have read about some of the feedback on Greek Myths and with Michael's response on the changes, I agree that getting the new version is the best idea. I'll have 3 kids go through it so those changes will be appreciated. Thanks for taking time to bring up your thoughts on this!

                              -Laura
                              So very happy to be helpful!
                              Ana, mama to
                              ds A, 15 yo
                              ds N, 10 yo

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X