Questions About Fable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions About Fable

Hi there! I am new to CC (and most of MP in general sans MP Latin), and have some questions about Fable.

1) How should I implement the vocabulary in Fable? I previewed the first video so I'll have an idea of how to teach it to my children, and the vocabulary was reviewed. However, should my girls write down the definitions as they would in FMOR or Greek Myths or Literature?

Or is the intention that the vocabulary should only be reviewed orally?

2) Is there a time-stamp for the breaks in the lessons? I've looked and searched the forum to no avail. I wrote down the times for the first lessons when I previewed, but it would be most helpful if there was a master list somewhere.

3) How much time should I allot for composition each day? Would it take an hour for us to do the first day's work from start to finish, including the video, determining the plot components together, etc? I understand that some days will be longer than others, but just a general guideline would be helpful. I have a 17 month old tornado and I'm trying to plan as many "'hard" subjects as I can during his naptime...which is oh so short an only an hour or so.

I have several other questions about curriculum and scheduling that I'll ask in separate threads. Thanks for any help you can offer!

-Lauren
    Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2019-2020:
    9th grade DS: At a University-Model School this year plus Henle I at home
    7th grade DD: Mostly 7M Core and MPOA SFL
    5th grade DD: 5M
    3rd Grade DD: The one that doesn't fit nicely in a core ;) R&S 3rd Grade Math and Grammar, TS II, Prima, some MP2&3 Lit, CSII, Mammals
    2 yo DS Pudding Pie

Re: Questions About Fable

Originally posted by MamaHill View Post
    Hi there! I am new to CC (and most of MP in general sans MP Latin), and have some questions about Fable.

1) How should I implement the vocabulary in Fable? I previewed the first video so I'll have an idea of how to teach it to my children, and the vocabulary was reviewed. However, should my girls write down the definitions as they would in FMOR or Greek Myths or Literature?

Or is the intention that the vocabulary should only be reviewed orally?

2) Is there a time-stamp for the breaks in the lessons? I've looked and searched the forum to no avail. I wrote down the times for the first lessons when I previewed, but it would be most helpful if there was a master list somewhere.

3) How much time should I allot for composition each day? Would it take an hour for us to do the first day's work from start to finish, including the video, determining the plot components together, etc? I understand that some days will be longer than others, but just a general guideline would be helpful. I have a 17 month old tornado and I'm trying to plan as many "'hard" subjects as I can during his naptime...which is oh so short an only an hour or so.

I have several other questions about curriculum and scheduling that I'll ask in separate threads. Thanks for any help you can offer!

-Lauren
    Hi Lauren. Welcome!

I'm not sure about the time stamps, but I can help with your other two questions:

The vocabulary is meant for oral review/discussion so they can see how it enriches the fable. Sometimes I would change one of the Fable's sentences into "plain language" to show them the difference the vocabulary words made to the strength, emotion or clarity of the writing.

For timing: we would do the entire week's work in one day and it would only take about 45 minutes. I think you could do this with the DVD as well. Just do the first half of the DVD lesson one week, with its accompanying written work, and then repeat the following week with the second half of the lesson. 45-60 minutes once a week is all you need.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
    MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
    MPOA: High School Comp. II
    HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
    MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
    MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
    HSC: Modern European History

DS12
    7M with:
    Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
    SC Level 4

DD9
    3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
    Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
    SC Level C

Comment

Welcome Lauren,

Jen answered your other two questions, so I'll just address the time stamps. We have been adding "scene breaks" to the CC DVDs so families can use the "next/previous scene" button to quickly find where they left off. The more recently recorded DVDs had these scene breaks included from the beginning. For the earlier recordings, we are adding the scene breaks as we reprint. I'm not sure if Fable has been reprinted yet, but I'll try to find out next week.

HTH!
      Michael
      Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
        Hi Lauren. Welcome!

I'm not sure about the time stamps, but I can help with your other two questions:

The vocabulary is meant for oral review/discussion so they can see how it enriches the fable. Sometimes I would change one of the Fable's sentences into "plain language" to show them the difference the vocabulary words made to the strength, emotion or clarity of the writing.

For timing: we would do the entire week's work in one day and it would only take about 45 minutes. I think you could do this with the DVD as well. Just do the first half of the DVD lesson one week, with its accompanying written work, and then repeat the following week with the second half of the lesson. 45-60 minutes once a week is all you need.
        Thank you! I especially like your idea about changing the sentence into plain language.

If you're able to do the whole lesson in one day, then maybe this isn't going to be as hard as I think. This type of writing is very new to us, so the learning curve is going to be steep the first couple of fables. Maybe once we have some practice under our belts we will be able to decrease the time spent each week?
        Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2019-2020:
        3rd Grade DD: The one that doesn't fit nicely in a core ;) R&S 3rd Grade Math and Grammar, TS II, Prima, some MP2&3 Lit, CSII, Mammals
        2 yo DS Pudding Pie

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Welcome Lauren,

Jen answered your other two questions, so I'll just address the time stamps. We have been adding "scene breaks" to the CC DVDs so families can use the "next/previous scene" button to quickly find where they left off. The more recently recorded DVDs had these scene breaks included from the beginning. For the earlier recordings, we are adding the scene breaks as we reprint. I'm not sure if Fable has been reprinted yet, but I'll try to find out next week.

HTH!
          Hi Michael! Thanks for your reply.

I did notice that there were breaks in the content between "days." Maybe it's easier to find those scene breaks when playing on a DVD player. I was using my laptop, so that might have added to my challenge. I just purchased my Composition package 2 or so weeks ago, so I'm guessing I have the most recent version of Fable.

Thanks again!
          Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2019-2020:
          2 yo DS Pudding Pie

Comment

Originally posted by MamaHill View Post
            Hi Michael! Thanks for your reply.

I did notice that there were breaks in the content between "days." Maybe it's easier to find those scene breaks when playing on a DVD player. I was using my laptop, so that might have added to my challenge. I just purchased my Composition package 2 or so weeks ago, so I'm guessing I have the most recent version of Fable.

Thanks again!
            Good morning,

I was able to verify that if you ordered from us only a couple weeks ago, your DVDs should have those "scene breaks" or "navigation points." If you continue to have difficulty, please let us know so we can further help!
            Michael
            Memoria Press

Comment

Wonderful! I appreciate your follow-up.

Lauren
              Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2019-2020:
              2 yo DS Pudding Pie

Comment

Working...
              X