X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary
    replied
    Re: Identifying local insects

*waves hand* Another vote for the Kaufman Field Guides! (I was going to joke that we Kaufmans love the Kaufmans, but it didn't sound as funny in print...)

My ds is finishing Insects and can usually get pretty close based solely on an insect's color/body shape/wing type. It's cute to listen to him whisper his recitation as he's squatting down in the grass, "needle-like abdomen, sucking mouthparts..." If you don't have your Peterson's or Kaufman's handy, try making an educated guess based on the facts learned in recitation. It's really kind of fun!

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy
    replied

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
    Cathy,
    Please remind us what region of the country you live in? I live in the southeast and we LOVE our Kaufman's: https://www.amazon.com/Kaufman-Field.../dp/0618153101 Learning the different groupings in the MP Insects program helped us learn to look them up more effectively--moth or butterfly? beetle or fly or wasp? If that makes sense. Good luck! I also started a tag of #memoriapressinsects on Instagram if you use that.
    Another vote for Kaufman's here. We don't use it 'in the field', but my boys POUR over it. We even give it as a gift to like minded friends. It's a must to have on your homeschool shelf.

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied

Cathy,
    Please remind us what region of the country you live in? I live in the southeast and we LOVE our Kaufman's: https://www.amazon.com/Kaufman-Field.../dp/0618153101 Learning the different groupings in the MP Insects program helped us learn to look them up more effectively--moth or butterfly? beetle or fly or wasp? If that makes sense. Good luck! I also started a tag of #memoriapressinsects on Instagram if you use that.

Leave a comment:

• TheAttachedMama
    started a topic Identifying local insects

Identifying local insects

Hi Everyone,

We have been loving our MP Insect set! Now, we are headed outdoors to search for insects. I do not know much about bugs, and I could use help with identifying the ones we find. Can anyone recommend a decent app for field identification? Or an easy to use book? I am having trouble finding information in the Peterson's field guide. Perhaps I don't know how to use it?

Thanks!
    Cathy
Working...
X