Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Quick R&S Question

R&S Math:
    Do you actually teach the lesson as laid out in the TM each day?
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

Re: A Quick R&S Question

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
    R&S Math:
    Do you actually teach the lesson as laid out in the TM each day?
    Not exactly....however, keep an eye on it everyday, because there are things done in the manual, not in the workbook. (Ask me how I know)!

It seems to me every other lesson is good. Math facts, etc, review time each day though.

Also, the black lines have things also not in the workbook. We by no means do them all though!

I “switched” to another program for a bit thinking “oh wow, look at all R&S misses. Then I really went through the manual and blacklines and low and behold most things were there!
    Last edited by howiecram; 06-26-2018, 02:45 PM.
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Do you mean as laid out in the R&S Teacher Manual (how to present each lesson) or in the MP Curriculum Guide for each grade?

I rarely use the R&S Teacher Manual for teaching; rather, it's my speed grading guide. I'm blessed with 3 math-y kids who don't need a ton of actual instruction for math.

As for the Curriculum Guide, I do follow it for lessons, quizzes and tests but we don't always get to every speed drill or review. If we have a lot of other things going on that week (tests or longer lessons in other subjects, for example), we might skip the speed drills for that week. Otherwise, we do follow *fairly* closely - only cutting out extras if it becomes overwhelming.
      Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek
      DS12 - 7th core
      DD7 - Still finishing 1st core at her own happy pace :-)

Comment

For me, it depends on the grade. I always do the front material...the drills, chalkboard work, and whatnot.

Third grade and below I pretty much present everything that is there.

Fourth grade and up they are a lot more independent. So they actually read what is given to them in their book, and then do their work themselves. The way I find out if they need more help is when they come to me with their book in hand and a confused look on their face. But even then, I usually look at their book and explain it from there rather than run to get the TM. I do use the TM every day though, because I always have them do the drills and chalkboard work (on scratch paper or in the margins of their speed drill).

I always thought I would actually "teach" math, but they don't seem to want or need that. So they read it, do the work, then I drill them, check their work, and go over anything they might have missed. If I see a huge problem, I might look through the teaching notes to see how R&S taught it, which can be helpful. But the main thing I use the TM for in 4th grade and up is to check their work, and to do the drill work (which is enough to still make it a really valuable asset to me).

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2018-2019
        DD 18 - 12th || DS 15 - 10th || DD 13 - 8th || DD 11 - 6th || DD 9 - 4th
        DD 7 - 1st || DD 5 - mix of 1st & JrK || +DS, 2-21-16+ || DS 14 months

Comment

I should have clarified that I meant in the R&S math teacher's manual. Ya'll answered what I thought, too.
          1st-3rd teach it straight up.
          4th on up independent unless needing more help.

Thank you!
          The Homeschool Grads:
          J- 6/96
          S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
          G- 4/04
          D- 5/05
          F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
          M- 9/16

Comment

Working...