STT and AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STT and AAR

Hello! I am brand new to Memoria Press and am trying to figure everything out for this fall. I have twins that will be seven in September. They are about a third of the way through AAR3. AAR has worked exceptionally well for us. Do I now transition over to Story Time Treasures and end our AAR instruction or should I continue to do both simultaneously? Please forgive my ignorance as I try and understand the process. Thank you!

Re: STT and AAR

I believe continuing AAR while doing STT would be too much. In first grade we begin our Phonics/Reading/Spelling schedule with one week of review which covers First Start Reading Book D from Kindergarten and Traditional Spelling. Then we begin FSR Book E. At week5 we begin STT with Little Bear. This iur trifecta of phonic instruction. If you are planning on following this plan, I’m not sure you would need other Phonics!

STT has phonic flashcard and Classical Phonics pages listed within the Teacher Guide. There is quite a bit of phonetic work done just with this book alone. So, even if you only use STT and not MP first grade Phonics, you will have plenty of Phonics for Reading. You do however need spelling and Phonics to go along with that.

HTH,
    Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by Stephani View Post
      Hello! I am brand new to Memoria Press and am trying to figure everything out for this fall. I have twins that will be seven in September. They are about a third of the way through AAR3. AAR has worked exceptionally well for us. Do I now transition over to Story Time Treasures and end our AAR instruction or should I continue to do both simultaneously? Please forgive my ignorance as I try and understand the process. Thank you!
      I have experience with both. I would say you are in a great spot for STT. I would maybe continue working with AAR3, until your “school year” starts. Then, maybe save the rest for another break, summer, etc. (or maybe you will feel like you do not need it). FSRE will be review with those long vowels, but since the writing will be more, it will be ok. It is ok if the start to your year gently increases. The writing skill will have been built upon as the reading starts to get harder.
      Christine

(2022/2023)
      DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
      DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

I did AAR2 and STT with my first grader last year and it was fine, so I think it would be definitely manageable since your kids are on AAR3. We did AAS for spelling instruction. I plan on doing the same for my next child this coming year, except we are going to try Traditional Spelling.
        Allison

DD MP2, DS MP4, DS MP5

Comment

Working...
        X