Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me pick my SG sessions!

Good Morning!

I'm brand new to MP and will be doing full cores with my 4th, 6th and 7th graders in the fall. I spent hours at the MP booth at a homeschool convention the first week of June (talked with Ryan, DeAnn and Tanya) and below is what I ended up ordering. My question is, what sessions should I definitely take at SG especially if I can also do at least the morning pre-conference track on Wednesday?

Here's what I've picked or am waffling about:

- Breakout 1: Homeschooling with Multiple Cores
    - Breakout 2*: Time to Get Started, It's Never Too Late or Is Memoria Press Right for My Family?
    - Breakout 3*: Prima Latina & Latina Christiana vs. Entering First Form Latin
    - Breakout 4: Using Novare Middle Science at Home
    - Breakout 5: The Order of Classical Studies
    - Breakout 6: Teaching Grammar School Literature
    - Breakout 7: Classical Composition Fable & Narrative
    - Breakout 8: MPOA Overview

For all three kids I'm sticking with the CLE Math we've always done.

4NU: Swapped Spelling Workout level, replaced Copybook Cursive with NAC 3

6th: Swapped Spelling Workout level, switched to First Form Latin, hoping to do Fable/Narrative in one year, bought an extra States and Capitals because she hasn't had that at all and swapped Geography I for II, replaced Copybook Cursive with NAC 3, I think we swapped Famous Men of the Middle Ages for Famous Men of Rome and I'll have her read the Middle Ages one over the summer.

7th: Swapped Spelling Workout level, switched to First Form Latin, hoping to do Fable/Narrative in one year, bought an extra States and Capitals because he hasn't had that at all, added Teach Yourself Cursive, he'll read Famous Men of Rome over the summer.

Thanks for your help!!

Re: Help me pick my SG sessions!

My comments are below in red.

Originally posted by Drosner View Post
    Good Morning!

Hello and welcome!

I'm brand new to MP and will be doing full cores with my 4th, 6th and 7th graders in the fall. I spent hours at the MP booth at a homeschool convention the first week of June (talked with Ryan, DeAnn and Tanya) and below is what I ended up ordering. My question is, what sessions should I definitely take at SG especially if I can also do at least the morning pre-conference track on Wednesday?

Here's what I've picked or am waffling about:
    Given what you've shared about your children/cores, I think you have made excellent choices!

- Breakout 1: Homeschooling with Multiple Cores
    - Breakout 2*: Time to Get Started, It's Never Too Late or Is Memoria Press Right for My Family? Hmm. First, you likely won't need "Is MP Right for My Family" since you're jumping in with both feet and you're ready to go. "It's Never Too Late" would be good if you're feeling at all worried about not starting "from scratch" or if you have concerns about missing out for your older kids (and fear not! Angel will tell you why this is not a big deal!). "Time to Get Started" is going to be fabulous if you need tips and motivation for getting your kiddos up and running with cores and/or if you have questions about transitioning to any/all subjects from other materials (Dianna is a great resource for this!). You would need to decide if you need more reassurance/guidance for starting MP in upper elementary/middle school or if you need more concrete help with switching over from using other materials.
    - Breakout 3*: Prima Latina & Latina Christiana vs. Entering First Form Latin If you have zero Latin background, my first thought would be to attend the Prima & LC breakout today and then register for the FFL intensive on Wednesday if you're still able to attend on Weds. This way, you'll have a very good overview of PL & LC for your younger kiddos and you'll feel totally equipped and ready for FFL for your older ones once you get home.
    - Breakout 4: Using Novare Middle Science at Home
    - Breakout 5: The Order of Classical Studies
    - Breakout 6: Teaching Grammar School Literature
    - Breakout 7: Classical Composition Fable & Narrative
    - Breakout 8: MPOA Overview

For all three kids I'm sticking with the CLE Math we've always done.

4NU: Swapped Spelling Workout level, replaced Copybook Cursive with NAC 3

6th: Swapped Spelling Workout level, switched to First Form Latin, hoping to do Fable/Narrative in one year, bought an extra States and Capitals because she hasn't had that at all and swapped Geography I for II, replaced Copybook Cursive with NAC 3, I think we swapped Famous Men of the Middle Ages for Famous Men of Rome and I'll have her read the Middle Ages one over the summer.

7th: Swapped Spelling Workout level, switched to First Form Latin, hoping to do Fable/Narrative in one year, bought an extra States and Capitals because he hasn't had that at all, added Teach Yourself Cursive, he'll read Famous Men of Rome over the summer.

Thanks for your help!!

As said before, welcome aboard! You've had some great advice already and you've chosen cores/made swaps as appropriate for your children. I'm so excited that you'll be at Sodalitas and I think you'll be very well prepared with the breakouts you've chosen. If you can swing it, I would HIGHLY recommend the First Form Latin intensive on Wednesday. I've been to both FF and SF and those intensives provided immeasurable help to me.

Also, if you haven't already done so, be sure to book your hotel (the rooms start to go quickly leading up to the convention) and, if you're able, please join us at Mimi's on Sunday evening!
    It's the unofficial kickoff to Sodalitas in which we relax over dinner and get to know each other better. I'll go find links and post here in just a sec. <3

ETA: CLICK HERE for the link to find roommates, ride shares and/or ask questions about where others plan to stay.
    Last edited by Mary; 06-18-2018, 11:53 AM. Reason: Added link
    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
      "Time to Get Started" is going to be fabulous if you need tips and motivation for getting your kiddos up and running with cores and/or if you have questions about transitioning to any/all subjects from other materials (Dianna is a great resource for this!). You would need to decide if you need more reassurance/guidance for starting MP in upper elementary/middle school or if you need more concrete help with switching over from using other materials.
      Look at Mary calling me an great resource! You're making me sweat a little, lady.
      2022-23: Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
      DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, Dual Credit - equestrian &theatre
      DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis/aviation -dyslexia &dysgraphia
      DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis/aviation -auditory processing disorder
      DD5 - 10- Mash up of SC levels and standard MP, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian &tumbling
      DS6 - 8 - MP 1/SC -- 2E cutie with dyslexia, dysgraphia &ADHD

Comment

Thanks so much for the warm encouragement and counsel! I selected Dianna's session and Latina Christiana. I will register for the First Form Latin pre-conference track as well. I really should get on the road after the morning session. Will I be doing myself a big disservice to miss the afternoon?

Thanks to this wonderful forum I have travel and hotel arrangements with two other ladies who happened to be traveling from Virginia! Mimi's sounds fun! What time does that start?

Comment

Thanks so much for the warm encouragement and counsel! I selected Dianna's session and Latina Christiana. I will register for the First Form Latin pre-conference track as well. I really should get on the road after the morning session. Will I be doing myself a big disservice to miss the afternoon?

Thanks to this wonderful forum I have travel and hotel arrangements with two other ladies who happened to be traveling from Virginia! Mimi's sounds fun! What time does that start?
          The link is in the newsletter from April.
          2022-23: Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
          DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, Dual Credit - equestrian &theatre
          DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis/aviation -dyslexia &dysgraphia
          DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis/aviation -auditory processing disorder
          DD5 - 10- Mash up of SC levels and standard MP, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian &tumbling
          DS6 - 8 - MP 1/SC -- 2E cutie with dyslexia, dysgraphia &ADHD

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
            The link is in the newsletter from April.
            See? What did I tell you? Dianna is ON HER GAME. I'm so happy you'll be in her breakout, Drosner! You're going to love it. <3
            Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Most of us appreciate how difficult it is to line up child care for an extended period while also juggling travel and hotel in order to drink from a firehose for 2 or 3 days. *weary laugh* No worries about having to get on the road early. (Of course, you'll want to let the instructor know that you won't be coming back after lunch on Wednesday afternoon!)

My gut feeling is that a morning of FFL intensive is better than none at all...and once you get going in the fall, you can always come here to ask questions. Both seasoned parents and MP staff are always at the ready to provide help! I think it would be good for you to get a feel for how the material is laid out, see how it's taught and have preliminary questions answered in person. Of course, Cheryl Lowe wrote the Forms series so that any parent, regardless of whether that person has any knowledge of Latin, could open the book and teach. You don't need an FFL intensive in order to be successful - if squeezing in that extra morning is going to really put a burden on you, then it's more important to be at SG than at the first half of the Latin intensive on Wednesday.

In a nutshell, when jumping in at full speed it is so nice to have someone take your hand and lead you through the first several chapters so that you're comfortable with the material. If you can swing Wednesday morning without breaking a sweat, go for it. If it's going to put stress on you or anyone in your family, skip the intensive and come here (or call the fine folks at MP) if you find you have questions once you get started.

In an effort to present a balanced answer, I feel as though I'm just waffling. I hope this has helped and not just further muddied the waters. <3
              Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

That was super helpful!!!

Comment

The only comment I would make is that you chose "teaching Novare middle school science at home", but the cores you selected do not have Novare texts included. I don't remember what the other options are In that slot, but this one will be covering books you won't be using this year.
                  Dorinda

Plans for 2022-2023
                  16th year homeschooling, 13th year with Memoria Press
                  DD College Sophomore
                  DS 11th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata, MPOA Divine Comedy
                  DS 9th grade - Vita Beata Literature/Classical Studies
                  DS 4th grade - 4A with Right Start F, Second Form Latin, AAS 5

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                    The only comment I would make is that you chose "teaching Novare middle school science at home", but the cores you selected do not have Novare texts included. I don't remember what the other options are In that slot, but this one will be covering books you won't be using this year.
                    Yes, the Novare session is to see if I want to use those texts for my son when he starts upper level sciences. I sort of had a tentative plan for his sciences before I settled on switching to full core MP and I'm not familiar with Novare. Plus, none of the other sessions were really quite relevant for me

Comment

Diana,
                      I haven't registered for my Pre-conf tracks yet.....was hoping you and I could nail down our absolute latest we were comfortable leaving that day.....because I'm hoping to get as much Latina Christiana as possible (while you are getting your FFL!)
                      We need to think through the latest we are comfortable arriving back into NoVA, and then back up from there.
                      SusanP

Comment

Working...
                      X