Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT : interesting quote

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ght/704437002/

Thought some of you might like the quote illuminated onto the Michigan central depot this week (with no translation).

Speramus meliora; resurget cineribus.

We hope for better things; it will rise from the ashes.

The quote is from Fr. Gabriel Richard, pastor of Ste. Anne du Detroit, in 1805 when a fire destroyed much of Detroit including the parish church.

I was excited that I got it all except for meliora, including the fact that resurget was in the future (I just finished up 3rd and 4th conjugation verbs in second form this week). I just thought it was cool they picked a Latin quote for the announcement of their restoration plan for an iconic building.
    Last edited by Mom2mthj; 06-18-2018, 08:45 AM. Reason: Grammar correction
    Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
    15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
    DD College Freshman
    DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
    DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
    DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Re: OT : interesting quote

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ght/704437002/

Thought some of you might like the quote illuminated onto the Michigan central depot this week (with no translation).

Speramus meliora; resurget cineribus.

We hope for better things; it will rise from the ashes.

The quote is from Fr. Gabriel Richard, pastor of Ste. Anne du Detroit, in 1805 when a fire destroyed much of Detroit including the parish church.

I was excited that I got it all except for meliora, including the fact that resurget was in the future (I just finished up 3rd and 4th conjugation verbs in second form this week). I just thought it was cool they picked a Latin quote for the announcement of their restoration plan for a iconic building.
    That is cool! Thanks for sharing (and good job on your translation)!

Comment

Working...
    X