Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combining 8th and 10th grade using the 8th grade core.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tkmaples
    replied
    Re: Combining 8th and 10th grade using the 8th grade core.

Alrighty! Adding things to my shopping cart and looking forward to a fun MP year (even though I’m still incredibly sad to be missing Sodalitas). Thanks for the input!

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied

Originally posted by tkmaples View Post
    Okay, putting out my thoughts and tentative plans for a couple of my kids and would like input/suggestions. I had planned on fleshing out these ideas at the Sodalitas Gathering, but, unfortunately, my oldest daughter is having some medical complications (post double-lung transplant) and I'll be heading to Cleveland instead of Louisville those dates. Time to adapt, adjust, and juggle. Anyway, I want to be able to take advantage of the free shipping this month so my planning is bumped up a couple of weeks.

I am so sorry to hear you will not make it to SG, but I sincerely hope your daughter will be ok. What a challenge for you all - she must be quite a tough young person!

What I am considering is using the 8th grade full curriculum for my daughter who will be in 8th grade, pretty much as is, with only a few minor adjustments. Literature, Geography, Science, Classical/Christian Studies as is. Math and Composition are already planned according to her ability. She is enrolled in First Form Latin with MPOA. My only question I have regarding her is whether she should do the Grammar V as is in the guide or would that be too much if she hasn't had much structured grammar instruction?

I agree with the advice you have gotten already that since she has not had much formal grammar, you would do well to bump her down to EGR II. Let her go at her pace. If she picks it up easily, great. You might be able to complete more than one book in a year simply because she might recognize a lot of it from usage. Or, she might need to simply take her time and do a book a year just like the younger grades. Either way, she still has time to do books II-V before she finishes high school.

Also, she will be participating in a co-op and working through Discovering Music (Carol Reynolds) and Art of Argument (Classical Academic Press). Do you think the addition of these two classes will be too much to add to her schedule?

These classes sound amazing, and my guess is part of why you are doing the coop is for the social aspect of it...which is a big deal to young people at these ages. I would say to make sure you are both on the same page as far as your expectations. Will these be strictly enrichment courses, that she completes AFTER her other work is done? Or will you be wanting her to be more on top of them? What will the teacher want/expect? My personal recommendation would be to treat them as enrichment - if she wants the social outlet of being in the classes, then she will have to carve out time for the work involved, in order to meet the requirements of the teacher, but that you will expect that to be after her regular school work is completed. As long as she can do that, go for it!

The other consideration is adding my son, who is going into 10th grade, to the 8th grade mix minus the science, math, and composition. Those subject areas are already planned at his grade level. He is also taking First Form Latin with MPOA. My questions for having him combine with the 8th grade core are the same as my daughter, but I wonder about the literature. He doesn't necessarily need to work specifically on anything literature this year, but I think he would enjoy reading the same material with his sister. It would definitely keep things simpler for me.

Then I would say, Go for it! I LOVE the MP Literature guides as a whole, but as they get into the older years they become even better. They are just so helpful in so many ways. Definitely, definitely do the lit guides!

Also, in the family is a senior who is dual-enrolled with our local community college and will join us in our study with the Iliad and Odyssey. The youngest is on track with the 1st grade full curriculum and will move into 2nd about mid-year. What I'm looking for is to keep the schedule simple, combine where I can, and take the planning/next steps out of limbo. So, with that in mind, does the thought process for my 8th and 10th grader seem sound and plausible?

YEP! Looks great to me!
    Hths!
    AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• HollyS
    replied

Your plans are almost identical to ours! I have 10th & 8th graders that I plan on combining with the 8th grade core...plus a few adjustments. They are doing First Form Latin, Book of Ancient Greeks/Iliad/Odyssey, Book of the Ancient World, and Geo III. We are also doing Art of Argument--I plan to follow it with MP's Traditional Logic the following year. Grammar, writing, science, history, and math will be from various non-MP sources. I still haven't decided if I want to use MP literature or not--it's such a tough decision!

I'm combining my next set of kids (6th & 3rd) with many of the 3rd/4th grade books.

Leave a comment:

• Lisainjax
    replied

Originally posted by tkmaples View Post
    Okay, putting out my thoughts and tentative plans for a couple of my kids and would like input/suggestions. I had planned on fleshing out these ideas at the Sodalitas Gathering, but, unfortunately, my oldest daughter is having some medical complications (post double-lung transplant) and I'll be heading to Cleveland instead of Louisville those dates. Time to adapt, adjust, and juggle. Anyway, I want to be able to take advantage of the free shipping this month so my planning is bumped up a couple of weeks.

What I am considering is using the 8th grade full curriculum for my daughter who will be in 8th grade, pretty much as is, with only a few minor adjustments. Literature, Geography, Science, Classical/Christian Studies as is. Math and Composition are already planned according to her ability. She is enrolled in First Form Latin with MPOA. My only question I have regarding her is whether she should do the Grammar V as is in the guide or would that be too much if she hasn't had much structured grammar instruction? Also, she will be participating in a co-op and working through Discovering Music (Carol Reynolds) and Art of Argument (Classical Academic Press). Do you think the addition of these two classes will be too much to add to her schedule?

The other consideration is adding my son, who is going into 10th grade, to the 8th grade mix minus the science, math, and composition. Those subject areas are already planned at his grade level. He is also taking First Form Latin with MPOA. My questions for having him combine with the 8th grade core are the same as my daughter, but I wonder about the literature. He doesn't necessarily need to work specifically on anything literature this year, but I think he would enjoy reading the same material with his sister. It would definitely keep things simpler for me.

Also, in the family is a senior who is dual-enrolled with our local community college and will join us in our study with the Iliad and Odyssey. The youngest is on track with the 1st grade full curriculum and will move into 2nd about mid-year. What I'm looking for is to keep the schedule simple, combine where I can, and take the planning/next steps out of limbo. So, with that in mind, does the thought process for my 8th and 10th grader seem sound and plausible?
    I could be wrong, but I think the Grammar is tied into the Latin program, so you might want to do the grammar that is listed for FFL. I think that is EGR II? I'm doing that with my high schooler this year. My soon to be 10th grader is doing the 7th grade program, with composition, Latin, and math at her level, so I don't think that doing 8th would be an issue. The literature is plenty hard enough, with lots of wonderful vocab, so I'd do it if you haven't done those books before.

HTH!

Leave a comment:

• Combining 8th and 10th grade using the 8th grade core.

What I am considering is using the 8th grade full curriculum for my daughter who will be in 8th grade, pretty much as is, with only a few minor adjustments. Literature, Geography, Science, Classical/Christian Studies as is. Math and Composition are already planned according to her ability. She is enrolled in First Form Latin with MPOA. My only question I have regarding her is whether she should do the Grammar V as is in the guide or would that be too much if she hasn't had much structured grammar instruction? Also, she will be participating in a co-op and working through Discovering Music (Carol Reynolds) and Art of Argument (Classical Academic Press). Do you think the addition of these two classes will be too much to add to her schedule?

Working...
X