X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jenniferjb
    replied
    Re: Flashcards and Drill Questions

My kids study the flashcards, and I drill them using the TG before we begin each subject. There are occasionally questions on the tests that are not on the flashcards. I usually look at the tests before we get to the review lesson and mark any questions that will need additional review before the test.

Leave a comment:

• TheAttachedMama
    replied

Here is the routine we have developed this year.

Anytime that subject is on the schedule (twice a week for us in the 4th grade NU package), I start the lesson off with subject-specific recitation. This is a rapid-fire recitation. It looks like a lot of information, but I keep the pace quick so it only takes a few minutes.

1) Facts to know: I review all facts to know since the last test. Example: If we are on Lesson 8, I would do the facts to know for Lessons 6, 7, and 8. I say the words in italics, and the child supplies me with the name. Sometimes I do the reverse to make sure they know these facts forward and backward.
    Tip: Copy over the pronunciation for the names in your guide and your students guide when you get to a new lesson. That way you don't have to keep flipping. Say it slowly with your child lieaving a space between each syllable until they have the pronunciation mastered too. Any fact they struggle with, I give them the answer and make a "mark" next to it in my guide. I review it several times this recitation cycle. Plus, we keep reviewing again each time we cover this subject.

2) Vocabulary: I also review all vocabulary since the last review/test. (Same lessons as the Facts to Know) I say the word and then have the child tell me what the word means in their own words. Sometimes I prompt them to use it in a sentence or supply synonyms if I think they need to do that. If their supplied definition is WAY off, I will sometimes help them. I make a mark next to anything they struggle with and review it several times this recitation day...and also review it week after week each time this subject is scheduled.

3) Geography: I actually print out a map from the test and have the child keep it with their workbook. (I use white-out to cross out the numbers that are used on the test to prevent them from memorizing them.) We find all Geography locations that have been covered, and then I quiz the child on the significance. Anything they struggle with gets a "mark" next to my book so I know to review it more frequently.

4) Back of the book drill questions: I use these as a cumulative review. I ask the question and they tell me the answer. I put a checkmark each time I ask the drill question and they get it right. I put an "X" anytime they get the question wrong. This lets me visually see how many times I have asked specific questions and which ones I need to review more times because they are struggling. Now that we are nearly finished with the book, we don't have time to do ALL of the drill questions every lesson. So this lets

----
    When we get to a review lesson, we do those orally. And I also do a full cumulative review recitation.
    ----

So we do a pretty thorough oral recitation in these subjects twice a week. Since we have started doing this method, the tests have become easy!! (And they were SO hard at the beginning of the year!) I have realized that anytime the tests start to feel hard, it is a sign that I am not reviewing enough.

We are new MP users. My kids had never really taken a test before this year! The MP curriculum has been invaluable teaching them how to study and how to commit facts to memory. At the beginning of the year, I actually would pull the tests out and orally quiz my child on all of the material on the test. However, I have slowly phased them out of that need. Now they have to learn everything and be surprised with what is on the test.

As for the flashcards, I have the child do those independently of me. We don't actually use the flashcards though because we have a new puppy and that would just be bad. I made an ANKI deck out of the flashcards (ANKI is an electronic flashcard tool that uses spaced repetition to review...sort of like a SCM review box, but its an app!). They have to go through all of their school decks each day on their own. (Latin, Math, Christian Studies, Classical Studies, etc.)

The oral recitation that I do is just to make sure that they are staying diligent with their self-study. (My kids tend to slack if I don't watch them pretty closely. )
    Last edited by TheAttachedMama; 06-11-2018, 03:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Angela
    replied

I think you'll get a variety of responses to this because it really just depends on what method works for your kids and your schedule. We don't end up using the flashcards as much, which is a bummer since I prep them all and keep them handy. I prefer using the quizzes and tests to drill kids on what they will need to know for those.

My TMs are full of post it flags, and a couple of those are in the back at the next upcoming quiz/test and the final test. I'll sometimes put a little check mark next to questions that we've already covered so that I can remember which material to cover. Then when we do a subject, I ask them questions from there as well as questions from the final to make sure everything stays fresh. We also keep up with the daily recitations in the CG, which is great for long-term memory of facts learned early on.

I like covering the test questions so thoroughly as we go along that by test day they can whip out the answers with little angst.

Leave a comment:

• carriede
    replied

hmmm okay, I think I found the thread I was thinking of.
    https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...eview-Card-Box

Does anyone have anything to add??

Leave a comment:

• carriede
    started a topic Flashcards and Drill Questions

Flashcards and Drill Questions

I feel like I've seen a thead about this lately, but I couldn't find it.

Do you all use BOTH the flashcards and back-of-the-book drill questions for each subject or just one? I'm trying to determine the flow of recitation, drill, and review as I try to grasp our first full MP year.

We've used some of the Greek Myths book already. We relied heavily on the flashcards, but when it came time for the test, there were questions on the test that were not included in the flashcards. How do you and what materials do you use to help your kids study for tests?

Thank you!
Working...
X