Starting 7th Grade Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting 7th Grade Program

Is there anything I need to do, before we begin the 7th grade program? Is there a 7th grade review box to print out? I'd love some ideas on how to make sure that everything is learned well. Do you all usually do your own flashcards or is there a memory section in the back of the manual? My program just shipped, so I have a week before it gets here.

Any users out there with some handy ideas that they learned along the way while doing this course?

Blessings and thanks!
    Lisa in Jax
    Mom to:
    Allison (26 graduated from homeschool)
    Jonathan (24 graduated from homeschool)
    Genevieve (15 using MP 7th)
    Isaac (13 using MP first time 4th)
    Sophia (11 using MP 3rd grade)
    David (8 using MP 1st grade)
    Charlotte (6 using MPK)

Re: Starting 7th Grade Program

My oldest is finishing 7th grade and she has really enjoyed it. I will tell you that we started out thinking she'd memorize "Horatius at the Bridge" in its entirety; however, she became a wee bit overwhelmed and we dropped back to just reading/studying as prescribed in the CG. This does not mean it can't be done (and many here have succeeded!); however, don't feel like a failure if it doesn't work. There's a reason only certain stanzas are assigned in the CG! <3

I didn't do any review box work (I don't use them but several here do) and I don't *recall* seeing review box cards or templates for 7th grade in my CG; however, it might be because I just ignored it. *Hides from Tanya*

My kids are flashcard maniacs and my dd really loved, again this year, having flashcards. 200 Questions and FMoG were especially helpful to her. As always, I laminate mine in pouches, hole-punch and then ring-bind them to keep them in order. If you do this, please note that you'll need TWO 3-inch rings for both 200 Questions and FMoG. I just took one of the blank cards and wrote the chapters or dates covered as the cover card to keep them straight.

I'm off to check my CG to see if I can better answer your review box question while you wait for others to chime in.
    Last edited by Mary; 06-06-2018, 07:24 PM.
    Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
      My oldest is finishing 7th grade and she has really enjoyed it. I will tell you that we started out thinking she'd memorize "Horatius at the Bridge" in its entirety; however, she became a wee bit overwhelmed and we dropped back to just reading/studying as prescribed in the CG. This does not mean it can't be done (and many here have succeeded!); however, don't feel like a failure if it doesn't work. There's a reason only certain stanzas are assigned in the CG! <3

That's very good advice!

I didn't do any review box work (I don't use them but several here do) and I don't *recall* seeing review box cards or templates for 7th grade in my CG; however, it might be because I just ignored it. *Hides from Tanya*

My kids are flashcard maniacs and my dd really loved, again this year, having flashcards. 200 Questions and FMoG were especially helpful to her. As always, I laminate mine in pouches, hole-punch and then ring-bind them to keep them in order. If you do this, please note that you'll need TWO 3-inch rings for both 200 Questions and FMoG. I just took one of the blank cards and wrote the chapters or dates covered as the cover card to keep them straight.

My kids love the flashcards, too. With my younger kids, not every subject came with them, so the review box helped with those.

I'm off to check my CG to see if I can better answer your review box question while you wait for others to chime in.

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to starting this program!
      Lisa in Jax
      Mom to:
      Charlotte (6 using MPK)

Comment

Lisa,
        Chiming in to day that I am excited for you as well!

I had a seventh grader this year, too, and it was great. She was my one I used to have to sit on practically to get her to work - tapping her book to draw her attention back to her work and all that. Tried so many “strategies” - all just barely working for a while and then wearing off. This year I saw such a jump in her maturity level. It was AWESOME. She is still slow, but it is because she seriously takes it ALL IN.

Something about this year is really special.... I hope you have a great year, too!!!

AMDG,
        Sarah
        Last edited by KF2000; 06-07-2018, 05:28 AM.
        2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
        DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 7.5
        DD, 5.5
        +DS+
        DS, 18 months

Comment

Okay, I am sitting with my 7th grade CG right next to me. First, I feel vindicated as a mother - there is no formal review box material here. I haven't skipped anything.
          All that's contained in the back of the guide, aside from a Greek History overview and tests, is the weekly recitation (which we do use). I just have paperclips marking the pages we're on in for recitation and daily work - I haven't looked through it any further. *Again, ducks to avoid Tanya's glare - I'm sure she's looking over her glasses at her computer screen and shaking her head*

After reading Sarah's remarks, I realize that we've had a similar experience. My dd has become more independent this year and she's much more mature than she was last fall. She's diligent in her work and gets assignments completed without me nagging or hovering. This has been the year that things have "clicked" for her, as well. All of the terms learned in previous years' math lessons are really coming into play in pre-algebra. She has a greater understanding and appreciation for historical context in literature and she sees patterns in history being repeated now that she's finishing the Famous Men (and Guerber) books. It's really neat to see these things coming together for her and her education really feels truly "Classical" now. I mean, that's what we've been doing all along and I've never felt "not Classical" but 7th grade really starts to get into the meatier subjects and brings together the bits and pieces we've studied before. *Now I'm just babbling - I am overly tired and should not be on the computer.*

I'm excited for you to start this with your daughter. <3
          Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
          DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
          DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
            Lisa,

Something about this year is really special.... I hope you have a great year, too!!!

AMDG,
            Sarah

Thank you, Sarah! I'm excited to see how well we do this year.

Okay, I am sitting with my 7th grade CG right next to me. First, I feel vindicated as a mother - there is no formal review box material here. I haven't skipped anything.

lol! It's always a relief when you find out that you did it all, right?

All that's contained in the back of the guide, aside from a Greek History overview and tests, is the weekly recitation (which we do use). I just have paperclips marking the pages we're on in for recitation and daily work - I haven't looked through it any further. *Again, ducks to avoid Tanya's glare - I'm sure she's looking over her glasses at her computer screen and shaking her head*

I'm glad to hear that they have weekly recitation. That is more than enough, I just wasn't sure what continued as you go up in grade levels.

After reading Sarah's remarks, I realize that we've had a similar experience. My dd has become more independent this year and she's much more mature than she was last fall. She's diligent in her work and gets assignments completed without me nagging or hovering. This has been the year that things have "clicked" for her, as well. All of the terms learned in previous years' math lessons are really coming into play in pre-algebra. She has a greater understanding and appreciation for historical context in literature and she sees patterns in history being repeated now that she's finishing the Famous Men (and Guerber) books. It's really neat to see these things coming together for her and her education really feels truly "Classical" now. I mean, that's what we've been doing all along and I've never felt "not Classical" but 7th grade really starts to get into the meatier subjects and brings together the bits and pieces we've studied before. *Now I'm just babbling - I am overly tired and should not be on the computer.*

I'm excited for you to start this with your daughter. <3
            That sounds wonderful! My oldest is a bit older than most who go through 7th, but with her many issues, always seems to be about 2 years behind her peers, so hopefully that means I'll see a big jump this year. All of my kids have been late bloomers! I'm also considering adding in my ds, as he's been doing so well in his level. He tackles things differently, but stormed through all the reading/literature in just a few short weeks and was still able to keep up with the literature workbooks. He's working his way through Greek Myths and astronomy right now, so I may just put him with his sister. If it's too much, then I already have the 5th grade level, ready to use if needed. I think I was a bit overwhelmed about this program and may have underestimated his abilities, since I'm seeing exactly what you all are describing in your 7th graders. Anyway, I ordered the extra student for 7th because he'll use it someday. lol

I really appreciate both of your responses! So far, my kids are thriving with MP and I'm really hoping that my oldest will have the same success.

Blessings,
            Last edited by Lisainjax; 06-07-2018, 08:37 AM.
            Lisa in Jax
            Mom to:
            Charlotte (6 using MPK)

Comment

After reading Sarah's remarks, I realize that we've had a similar experience. My dd has become more independent this year and she's much more mature than she was last fall. She's diligent in her work and gets assignments completed without me nagging or hovering. This has been the year that things have "clicked" for her, as well.
              Count me in as another mother who was pleasantly surprised that my daughter (who just finished 6A/7M) took a jump in maturity. Things weren't perfect -- we had some weeks where she totally whiffed (thank goodness I was double checking things), but 85% of the time, I simply had to check in with her about assignments, and she took care of everything. It seemed odd to me, as I was used to discussing everything with her, helping her along, etc. I almost felt like I was doing something wrong.
              Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
              DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
              DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
              DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
              DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
              DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                Count me in as another mother who was pleasantly surprised that my daughter (who just finished 6A/7M) took a jump in maturity. Things weren't perfect -- we had some weeks where she totally whiffed (thank goodness I was double checking things), but 85% of the time, I simply had to check in with her about assignments, and she took care of everything. It seemed odd to me, as I was used to discussing everything with her, helping her along, etc. I almost felt like I was doing something wrong.
                Yes! This was me too! On the one hand I was so grateful, but on the other it was a real shock to the system!

We were probably 85% there too - which was thrilling

AMDG,
                Sarah
                2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                DS, 16
                DD, 14
                DD, 12
                DD, 10
                DD, 7.5
                DD, 5.5
                +DS+