Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science flashcards?

Hey!
    Does MP have any plans to produce flashcards for their science courses?
    How awesome would Astronomy, Birds, Insects, etc. flashcards look? Super awesome. Practical and beautiful. And more eye candy for the MP booths!
    If you’re taking suggestions on new materials to produce, this has my vote!
    Mom to DS1 (11, 6th), DS2 (9, 4th), DS3 (6, 2nd), and DD (3, JrK).

Highlands Latin Phoenix Cottage School

www.highlandslatinphoenix.org

Re: Science flashcards?

Originally posted by calliope View Post
    Hey!
    Does MP have any plans to produce flashcards for their science courses?
    How awesome would Astronomy, Birds, Insects, etc. flashcards look? Super awesome. Practical and beautiful. And more eye candy for the MP booths!
    If you’re taking suggestions on new materials to produce, this has my vote!
    We actually already have Birds Flashcards!

Comment

Astronomy flashcards would be wonderful!
      Julie S.
      6th year using MP/ 20th year homeschooling (2021-2022)
      DD 26- married , DS 24 - working in IT gettin married 10/9, DD 23- married with 3 littles, DS 21- working in church ministries, DD 19 Nazarene Bible College,
      DD 17 - 12th grade a mix of MP materials
      DS 16 - 11th grade -MPOA, VB, and a mix of MP materials
      DD 13 - 8th grade - 8M core with VB,
      DS 11 - 6th grade (with dyslexia & dysgraphia) -mix of MP + AAS with VB
      DD 9 - 4th grade -mix of 4A & 4M core with VB

Comment

Good morning! There are bird flashcards for purchase through MP, and I do have mammals and insects cards that someone so kindly created for the review boxes and shared with several of us on the forum. I believe you could find them by searching the topic, or I could search my gmail for the sender

Beth
        DD12-7M
        DD10-5M
        Beth
        DD12 - 7M
        DD10 - 5M

"When you're good to others, you are best to yourself."
        -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Stonefield View Post
          Astronomy flashcards would be wonderful!
          Originally posted by Enigma
          As most homeschoolers do not own overhead projectors, the Astro. cards would be most welcome!! {please before we do Astro. this fall. }
          We're definitely open to the idea. To clarify, what exactly would you all like on these cards? Pictures/constellations? Facts to know?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            We're definitely open to the idea. To clarify, what exactly would you all like on these cards? Pictures/constellations? Facts to know?
            All of the above! **Drooling over here at the thought of them** The birds flashcards are so stunning, insects would be amazing as well! Lovely Audubon style insect drawings on one side, with the scientific classifications and facts to know on the other. I'm pushing my luck here, I know

Beth
            Beth
            DD12 - 7M
            DD10 - 5M

"When you're good to others, you are best to yourself."
            -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by home4good View Post
              All of the above! **Drooling over here at the thought of them** The birds flashcards are so stunning, insects would be amazing as well! Lovely Audubon style insect drawings on one side, with the scientific classifications and facts to know on the other. I'm pushing my luck here, I know

Beth

In the meantime, there are printable Insect Flash Cards in the downloads. I printed them double-sided, numbered the insects and then added all the relevant information to the back. I laminated a set for each kid and put them in a folder. They have worked great.
              DD 17 | 12th
              DS 15 | 9th
              DD 13 | 8th
              2021-2022

13th Year HSing, 9th Year MP

Comment

Hello.

Astronomy flashcards aren't coming because I asked our teachers about them, and they didn't seem to want them. In fact, they asked me what would be on them, and I didn't know. Can you all clarify what it is that you are wanting these to look like? Sometimes, things that make sense at home don't necessarily translate as a classroom need, so we are totally willing to meet a homeschool need that our teachers don't have. I just need some guidance and vision please!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                  Hello.

Astronomy flashcards aren't coming because I asked our teachers about them, and they didn't seem to want them. In fact, they asked me what would be on them, and I didn't know. Can you all clarify what it is that you are wanting these to look like? Sometimes, things that make sense at home don't necessarily translate as a classroom need, so we are totally willing to meet a homeschool need that our teachers don't have. I just need some guidance and vision please!

Tanya
                  As homeschoolers it is nice to be able to send your grammar student to “study” while you tend to younger siblings, babies and toddlers. Flashcards are such a great way for them to do that independent review. Pictures of the constellations, facts to know, etc.
                  Christine

(2022/2023)
                  DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
                  DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
                  DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
                  DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
                  DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
                  DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

This is amazing timing. I was just getting on the forum to look this up and it’s being discussed today! Crazy! The Teacher’s Manual for Insects and the Core Guide say to review Astronomy. I don’t know how to have her do that without flashcards. A flash card w the constellation on the front and brightest stars associated and any other identifying factors on the back. So I guess I just needed to say, “I agree”.
                    DD-11 yr MP 5
                    DD-9yr MP 4
                    DS-7yr K/1st-speech therapy
                    DD-5yr SC-B Down Syndrome, daily therapies, and specializing in her life's work of being adored

Comment

For constellations, I purchased this deck from Carddia a couple of years ago, but it is very expensive! I wish I could say that it is "expensive for what you get", but I couldn't find this anywhere else.

Tanya, my ideal astronomy flash cards would have at least all the asterisms & constellations included in the MP program (if not the 88 or so official constellations). One side of the card would have stars with no lines, the other would have the lines and the identifying information: name, brightest star/first magnitude stars, ideally etymology of name and where/when it is found in the night sky, etc.

The purpose would be dual: to drill the child for the Astronomy program, and to drill the child for recognizing constellations in the night sky.

Looking forward to using the Birds cards!!

ETA: as we work on Astronomy today, I realized that an ideal MP flashcard set would have, in addition to the asterisms/constellations, cards with the name of the constellation on one side and the brightest star on the other as well as a card for the 15 brightest stars. And perhaps one for each planet, to drill diameter/distance from sun/rotation/orbit and perhaps composition or another fact or two.

Just dreaming here. You guys have us spoiled, and please know were are deeply grateful for the beautiful, rich materials you have provided!
                      Last edited by serendipitous journey; 10-19-2018, 01:54 PM.
                      Ana, mama to
                      ds A, 15 yo
                      ds N, 10 yo

Comment

Has anyone else used these flashcards Ana mentions in this thread? The ones from Carddia (found on Amazon for $20-something) to supplement your Astronomy study? I am trying to wrap my mind around Astronomy in the Fall and am trying to think through how to make the curriculum accessible to my son. Creating self-study review helps is good for my son. Example: This year I've been creating 8x10 review cards for Mammals in sheet protectors (which then are in his review binder) that has the review card on it, along with images/names of the mammals that fit in that family of animals. So I'm trying to think how to do that for Astronomy. Or if there's a product out there..... or if these Carddia cards are the idea product?

Thanks everyone!

SusanP in VA

Comment

Originally posted by SPearson View Post
                          Has anyone else used these flashcards Ana mentions in this thread? The ones from Carddia (found on Amazon for $20-something) to supplement your Astronomy study? I am trying to wrap my mind around Astronomy in the Fall and am trying to think through how to make the curriculum accessible to my son. Creating self-study review helps is good for my son. Example: This year I've been creating 8x10 review cards for Mammals in sheet protectors (which then are in his review binder) that has the review card on it, along with images/names of the mammals that fit in that family of animals. So I'm trying to think how to do that for Astronomy. Or if there's a product out there..... or if these Carddia cards are the idea product?

Thanks everyone!

SusanP in VA
                          Hello! So my son just completed Astronomy for the school year. It was pretty independent for him. The biggest thing I did was orally run through the brightest stars and the Zodiac constellations with him. And checked his workbook answers against the teachers guide.

Here's what I did for other review.
                          For the brightest stars, I typed up the list of stars and their constellations on card stock. I cut them out and put them in an envelope. So my son would have to put the stars in order, then match up the constellations. He did that every 1-2 weeks after he had learned all 15.

Also, after completing each Unit, I would find the corresponding star map page of the final exam and make a bunch of copies. Then he would fill out that star map once a week. As he completed more Units, he would still only do one map a week, but we'd rotate. So by the time we got to the Final test, it had been practicing those pages for weeks.
                          ~ Carrie
                          Catholic mom to four - ages 11, 9, 7, and 5
                          8th year homeschooling, 3rd year MP!
                          2020-2021: 6M with FFL, 4M with FFL, and some of 1st grade

Comment

I thought about getting those flashcards, but if the aim of the program isn't mere recognition, then I'd stuck with putting a plastic protector sheet over the practice pages where you draw the constellation and then do something like mentioned above to put the brightest stars in order and then maybe even matching bright stars or asterisms within a constellation weekly. If I make something printable this summer, I'll come share it.

By the way, there's a $10.95 version of those cards on Amazon (vs $19.95). Look around.
                            Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
                            5A w/ SFL & CC Narrative class
                            MP1

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A
                            SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
                              I thought about getting those flashcards, but if the aim of the program isn't mere recognition, then I'd stuck with putting a plastic protector sheet over the practice pages where you draw the constellation and then do something like mentioned above to put the brightest stars in order and then maybe even matching bright stars or asterisms within a constellation weekly. If I make something printable this summer, I'll come share it.

By the way, there's a $10.95 version of those cards on Amazon (vs $19.95). Look around.
                              It is great to know they are cheaper on Amazon!

I really do want recognition of the asterisms/constellations for the purpose of our being able to identify them in the night sky. I think studying with these cards helps with that as well as with helping them master some of their Astronomy information. But we are working through the program VERY slowly and will only be picking it up again in June.
                              Ana, mama to
                              ds A, 15 yo
                              ds N, 10 yo

Comment

Working...
                              X