Algebra 1 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Algebra 1 Question

I'm thinking of using this book in the fall for my 8th grade DS. I would use the online streaming also. I know the answers to odds are usually in the back, and if there is clear presentation of examples, I feel fairly certain that I could figure out any problems if my son gets stumped. BUT, I still feel very nervous about not having a guide or especially a solutions manual! Does one exist? Do I need one? Thank you for your insight!

ETA: Also, how long are the video lessons? Are they daily? TY!
    Last edited by MBrown; 06-05-2018, 08:38 AM.

Re: Algebra 1 Question

We found a complete solutions manual used online for cheap but they can get very expensive nearer school time. I cringe to think who's buying them! Only teachers I hope!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
      We found a complete solutions manual used online for cheap but they can get very expensive nearer school time. I cringe to think who's buying them! Only teachers I hope!
      It seems all of my searches are coming up empty-handed with the manual. Even when I look at the Prentice Hall website, it appears that the solutions manual is for Foerester, not even the Classics version. ?? How do you even know which solutions manual to look for? There seems to be so many versions of this Algebra book!

Comment

Originally posted by MBrown View Post
        It seems all of my searches are coming up empty-handed with the manual. Even when I look at the Prentice Hall website, it appears that the solutions manual is for Foerester, not even the Classics version. ?? How do you even know which solutions manual to look for? There seems to be so many versions of this Algebra book!
        https://www.ebay.com/p/Prentice-Hall....c100005.m1851

This looks like the teacher's edition which would at least get you the answers to all the questions. I don't use this program, but we have rarely had to pull out the solutions manual where it breaks down the problem. Most of the time just knowing the right answer is all we've needed so my teacher's edition gets a lot more use.

Kelly
        Last edited by generalsparky; 06-05-2018, 10:06 AM.

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Prentice-Hall.../dp/0130444030

This looks like what you need. If you want new from publisher then I can link to that if you want. It can be abit tricky to find. From the publisher you will need to call and set up a homeschool account. FYI you can use older editions of the book/solutions/TM that have been republished as "classics edition" as the text didn't change.

I actually like the solutions manual better than TM if I had to pick one. It's smaller and has everything and makes pointing out where they went wrong a snap. Even though I can solve the problems, having the solutions saves time.
          Dorinda

For 2019-2020
          DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
          DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
          DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
          DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Great info...thank you! So if I find a solutions manual that just states ‘Solution Key Prentice Hall Algebra 1’ on the cover, it will be the right one even though it doesn’t have ‘Classics’ on it?

Does anyone have info on the streaming?

Comment

The videos generally range from around 10-20 minutes per lesson. There is a video for every lesson (e.g., 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc.), so students following our lesson plans will watch a video most, but not all, days.
              Michael
              Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                The videos generally range from around 10-20 minutes per lesson. There is a video for every lesson (e.g., 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc.), so students following our lesson plans will watch a video most, but not all, days.
                Thank you! So if I purchase the lesson plans as well, they will state exactly what problems to complete for each day to get through the book in a school year?

Comment

Thank you! So if I purchase the lesson plans as well, they will state exactly what problems to complete for each day to get through the book in a school year?
                  Our lesson plans do assign specific problems and spread the book over 34, five-day weeks.

HTH!
                  Michael
                  Memoria Press

Comment

Great info...thank you! So if I find a solutions manual that just states ‘Solution Key Prentice Hall Algebra 1’ on the cover, it will be the right one even though it doesn’t have ‘Classics’ on it?

You just need to check the author. PH publishes many algebra programs.
                    Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                    DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                    DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1

Comment

I've had the same questions regarding the solutions manual.

I found a solutions manual on the Rainbow Resources website https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/033404 . If you click on the Q & A tab and scroll down, there is a question asking if the solutions manual is for the Prentice Hall Classics Algebra 1. Another customer said that it is. I haven't purchased it myself though, so I can't say for sure that it is.

I also saw that Heart of Dakota sells the solutions manual; however, you have to purchase a guide from them. I do not use Heart of Dakota, but I found the information on the website helpful. The following is a quoted from https://www.heartofdakota.com/hearts...2.php#foerster
                      The text also includes answers to the odd numbered problems in its Appendix. A fully worked solutions manual for all problems is also available for purchase through Heart of Dakota, but only if you have also purchased the Student Text from us as well or have purchased a Heart of Dakota guide to use in teaching your students. This is due to the Publisher's regulations for proving that Solutions Manuals are purchased for homeschool use by homeschool families

I hope this helps, and thank you for asking the question! I've been wondering what to do myself.

Heather

Comment

That is the Foerster solutions- not Smith. Same publisher, but completely different book.
                        Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

That is helpful. Thank you! The cover doesn’t look like some of the ones I’ve been seeing online, but I’m starting to think that they might all actually be the same. Maybe??
                          ETA: just saw bean’s post, so maybe they’re not the same!!! It’s confusing that the correct manual doesn’t state ‘Classics’ anywhere on it though.
                          Last edited by MBrown; 06-08-2018, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Thank you for pointing out my mistake! I noticed that the cover pictures are different, so I checked the ISBN, and they are also different. Sorry for the confusion!

Comment

You do need to be careful when searching for the MP algebra text online. The author smith is an essential key search word. Most people don't realize that there are 2 different texts with the PH "classics" designation. The link to Amazon was for the solutions manual to Smith text that MP uses. Last year I gave some links to the PH website, but I went back and looked this morning and it appears that they are no longer selling a solutions manual for the Smith textbook, however they still list one for the Foerster text. It looks like used is your best bet. I have had luck with textbooks on Amazon, abebooks, and ebay's book site, but not as much on eBay itself. For what it's worth none of the solutions manuals say classics on them - even the new Foerster one I bought from the publisher.

I happen to use Foerster as a text, MP didn't have the algebra videos when my oldest started algebra and Math Without borders has worked out video solutions to about half of the problems on separate video files to eliminate the need for a solutions manual. Any chance of adding this to the streaming service?
                              Dorinda

For 2019-2020

Comment

Working...
                              X