Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to memoria press and don't know where to start

Hello,

I'm brand new to classical education and new to memoria press. I have a few questions. First some background....

I have two boys ages 5 (will be 6 in September) and 7 (will be 8 in December). They love to learn and have a huge interest in all things outdoors and nature. My oldest is a struggling reader. We are finishing up All about reading level 1 this coming week. My 5 year old is also completing level 1. They are both and the same reading level. My youngest is quicker to pick up reading and my oldest is still waiting for that light bulb moment.

So here are my questions.

Where do I start with them? After looking at their grade levels there is no way I could have him doing second grade core work. He wouldn't be able to keep up. I'm also worried about my upcoming 1st grader. It seems like All about reading level 1 is slightly behind for the start of MP 1st grade. I just have no I idea where to even begin. Also, should I combine them into 1st grade since my oldest is behind? I would have to switch out his math. He actual excels in that area.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I planned on contacting someone through memoria press but this week is going to be crazy and I was unsure when I would have the free time. I figured I would at least be able to start the process here.

Thanks
    Rachel

Re: New to memoria press and don't know where to start

Originally posted by aaronrach View Post
    Hello,

I'm brand new to classical education and new to memoria press. I have a few questions. First some background....

I have two boys ages 5 (will be 6 in September) and 7 (will be 8 in December). They love to learn and have a huge interest in all things outdoors and nature. My oldest is a struggling reader. We are finishing up All about reading level 1 this coming week. My 5 year old is also completing level 1. They are both and the same reading level. My youngest is quicker to pick up reading and my oldest is still waiting for that light bulb moment.

So here are my questions.

Where do I start with them? After looking at their grade levels there is no way I could have him doing second grade core work. He wouldn't be able to keep up. I'm also worried about my upcoming 1st grader. It seems like All about reading level 1 is slightly behind for the start of MP 1st grade. I just have no I idea where to even begin. Also, should I combine them into 1st grade since my oldest is behind? I would have to switch out his math. He actual excels in that area.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I planned on contacting someone through memoria press but this week is going to be crazy and I was unsure when I would have the free time. I figured I would at least be able to start the process here.

Thanks
    Rachel
    Paging Christine, our resident AAS/AAR expert! Welcome to MP!
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
    MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
    MPOA: High School Comp. II
    HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
    MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
    MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
    HSC: Modern European History

DS12
    7M with:
    Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
    SC Level 4

DD9
    3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
    Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
    SC Level C

Comment

Hello Rachel,

I'm sure someone from MP will jump in here and steer you in the right direction. I do not post here much but have used MP exclusively for years, including with boys. From my personal experience, and after reading your post, my initial thoughts are to start your youngest with the K core and your oldest with the 1st grade core. You will choose only one enrichment year to complete (either K or 1st) and both children can be combined in that.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how robust the curriculum is and will see great progress in reading skills. The First Start Reading program is second to none and assuming there are no issues, will have your kids reading well! My personal experience with boys is that sometimes they just take a little longer to pick up on some of those reading skills and you really do not want to skip over material that they may have missed. Even if some of the material is a review, it will solidify what they already understand and build a stronger foundation. From there it is full speed ahead!

You still have plenty of time and spending this next year mastering K and 1st, will set you up for great success when you do move your oldest into the second grade core.

Both of these cores will leave your boys with plenty of time to continue digging into nature. They are both lovely!
      Last edited by Callista; 06-05-2018, 08:30 AM.
      Callista
      Long time homeschooler with MP

Comment

Originally posted by Callista View Post
        Hello Rachel,

I'm sure someone from MP will jump in here and steer you in the right direction. I do not post here much but have used MP exclusively for years, including with boys. From my personal experience, and after reading your post, my initial thoughts are to start your youngest with the K core and your oldest with the 1st grade core. You will choose only one enrichment year to complete (either K or 1st) and both children can be combined in that.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how robust the curriculum is and will see great progress in reading skills. The First Start Reading program is second to none and assuming there are no issues, will have your kids reading well! My personal experience with boys is that sometimes they just take a little longer to pick up on some of those reading skills and you really do not want to skip over material that they may have missed. Even if some of the material is a review, it will solidify what they already understand and build a stronger foundation. From there it is full speed ahead!

You still have plenty of time and spending this next year mastering K and 1st, will set you up for great success when you do move your oldest into the second grade core.

Both of these cores will leave your boys with plenty of time to continue digging into nature. They are both lovely!

Welcome! My advice is similar, with 1 exception. AAR1 does not cover silent e. If you order the K core (I would consider this, including enrichment) I would add a second First Start Reading Book D. This covers silent e and will go over blends and consonant teams again. In the K package, there is a reader called “Soft and White” and “Scamp and Tramp”. While working through (this summer I suggest) book D, have your older son alternate stories from “Soft and White” and Scamp and Tramp”. If you notice this to very challenging, you might then consider Simply Classical 2 for your older son. (After completing book D). It is a modified MP1, but considers a child might be older than 6.

The MPK core will be perfect for your younger son, who would have only entered K this year, yes? Many
        K’ers come to MPK already ready. He can spend the first part of the year getting better at writing. The second semester really starts to pick up. He can enjoy being 5, while building all his skills.

Adjusting a core for a higher math is easy to do!
        Christine

(2019/2020)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
        DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Welcome Rachel!

For placement within MP we typically look at their reading level since so many subjects include some oral reading of the material. Since your children are younger and not yet finished learning phonics, we want to be sure there are no gaps which could really hinder spelling and reading advancement in later years. Look at each child individually. While I understand the need to combine some classes for time and sanity, I would suggest doing so with enrichment subjects which will provide better discussions. For Math and Reading related subjects in the primary grades (and maybe further) it is best to keep each child on their own level as much as possible!

To that end, can your child blend CVC (consonant, vowel, consonant) words with ease or do they still sound each letter? Can they write a simple sentence dictated to them neatly and correctly, grammar, spelling, punctuation and all? Are they transitioning (not perfectly) between short vowel and long vowel with magic e words? Can they blend/read short vowel words with consonant blends(l-blends, r-blends and s-blends) and h-digraphs (ch,sh,th, wh)? This is the material covered in the K program. Which is where I suggest most students this age that are transitioning begin. Now the program starts at the beginning and becomes incrementally more challenging, but if this review allows for mastery of skills that need to be taught to benefit and shore up subjects in later years time spent is worth it.

If your child has mastered the aforementioned skills, placement would begin at the first grade level. This level will begin with a one-week review of consonant blends and teams coupled with a traditional spelling list containing short vowels words. This is followed by a study of First Start Reading Book E which covers vowel teams, soft c and g, and the three sounds of y. This study contains plenty of phonetic reading. We want to get students reading with from a varied text and not a solely phonetic one. Students need much practice transitioning. So we begin reading with Little Bear as the text on week 5.

Our levels are customizeable so you will easily be able to swap for a higher level math since that is your child's easier subject. This subject too is a mastery subject. Ability to fill out the pages is not the only indicator of mastery. Rod & Staff is repetitive, so students will be answering both orally and written the same facts over and over. This aids in visual memory, speed and accuracy all of which are important to have prior to beginning abstract math. That is why we spend so much time on the 4 operations. By the end of 6th grade students should be able to answer 100 facts in 2 minutes. All the repetition allows for that instantaneous answer, so none of the limited brain power allowed for learning something new is used but readily available for the challenging abstract concepts.

If you want more specific help with placement, you can always call the MP office and ask for Michelle!

Blessings,
          Michelle T

Comment

Working...
          X