Pencil grips that work with a cast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pencil grips that work with a cast?

I know this is a long shot, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. My son broke his arm very badly (ulna and radius at a 90° angle plus broken elbow that wasn't displaced) and will be in a cast for a while. It's his left arm and, of course, he's left handed. He was already having issues with writing, and this is going to throw him further behind. I'm hoping that we'll get some OT out of this once the cast is removed (seems likely), but in the meantime I'm trying to find a way to help him use his arm. They've okayed him to use his hand, but he can't grip a pencil. He just can't get his fingers to grip it because of the cast (tiny hand, cast in palm). Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution, or maybe used a pencil grip (or something else) that they think might work? I tried Googling pencil grips and arm casts, but nothing came up. This is our 5th child but our first broken bone, so I'm at a complete loss. I'll attach a picture to show what I'm dealing with cast wise. Thanks :-)

Whole Arm
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2464.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	104748

Hand (fingers still pretty swollen)

Name:	IMG_2476.jpg
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	104749

ETA that the white is the original cast (it was split and opened with spacers to allow for swelling). After 1 week (Wednesday), they removed the spacers, closed the gap, and wrapped over it with the red. I think that's one reason (besides him just being tiny) that it's so thick in his palm...it's been wrapped twice.
    Last edited by Cheryl in CA; 06-04-2018, 11:03 AM.
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 23, graduated
    dd 15, 9th Grade
    dd 12, 6th Grade
    ds 10, 4nd Grade

Re: Pencil grips that work with a cast?

Cheryl,

Man, I’m so sorry! Poor guy! I have no suggestions for you, but saying a prayer for your young man! I hope he heals quickly and will not be in discomfort long!

We’ve had one - a broken leg for a four year old 8 years ago when her brother ran into her on his bicycle. So incredibly sudden and scary. Prayers for you, too, Mamma!

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
    DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 7.5
    DD, 5.5
    +DS+
    DS, 18 months

Comment

Cheryl, I’m so sorry to read about your son. We will pray for quick healing. Has your DR mentioned how long he will wear the cast? I ask because we have had a couple breaks here and these kids heal soooooo quickly! It’s really amazing! I had one son in a cast for 10 days with a small fracture in his foot. Another son had a break in his arm and wore a very similar cast for just 6 weeks. His cast did not go around the elbow though. It sounds like surgery wasn’t necessary and he didn’t break a growth plate, is that correct? If yes, his swelling will begin to minimize and hopefully he’ll get more comfortable. I’m wondering if you could just postpone any writing until the cast comes off? Because of the swelling and the cast his motion is limited. I doubt his pencil grip would benefit while working around the cast. Maybe you could do things orally for awhile? You may see that his arm is beginning to heal when he naturally tries to use it for play. Maybe that would be a good indicator for trying to write? In the meantime, grab a sharpie and let the cast signing begin! My boys thought that was great.
      Joyfully, Courtney
      DS13, DS12, DS10, DD8

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
        Cheryl,

Man, I’m so sorry! Poor guy! I have no suggestions for you, but saying a prayer for your young man! I hope he heals quickly and will not be in discomfort long!

We’ve had one - a broken leg for a four year old 8 years ago when her brother ran into her on his bicycle. So incredibly sudden and scary. Prayers for you, too, Mamma!

AMDG,
        Sarah
        Thank you Sarah :-) That must have been scary! I would have expected for my oldest (who rode horses for years and has fallen off of said horses) to be the one to break a bone, but it was my little guy doing nothing more extraordinary than walking. Go figure, LOL!

Originally posted by RunnerJoy View Post
        Cheryl, I’m so sorry to read about your son. We will pray for quick healing. Has your DR mentioned how long he will wear the cast? I ask because we have had a couple breaks here and these kids heal soooooo quickly! It’s really amazing! I had one son in a cast for 10 days with a small fracture in his foot. Another son had a break in his arm and wore a very similar cast for just 6 weeks. His cast did not go around the elbow though. It sounds like surgery wasn’t necessary and he didn’t break a growth plate, is that correct? If yes, his swelling will begin to minimize and hopefully he’ll get more comfortable. I’m wondering if you could just postpone any writing until the cast comes off? Because of the swelling and the cast his motion is limited. I doubt his pencil grip would benefit while working around the cast. Maybe you could do things orally for awhile? You may see that his arm is beginning to heal when he naturally tries to use it for play. Maybe that would be a good indicator for trying to write? In the meantime, grab a sharpie and let the cast signing begin! My boys thought that was great.
        Thank you Courtney! He will be in the full arm cast for 4 weeks and the forearm cast for about 3 to 4 weeks. Praise God, they were able to set it without surgery! It is in the middle of the long bones, so not hear the growth plate. I can do most of his schoolwork without writing, but they are saying that writing would be good for him. Also, since he was already behind in his fine motor skills (at least when it comes to writing), I don't want to loose any time. I'm hoping to get some PT and OT out of this, but I don't think that would start until after the final cast is off. They suggested something big but didn't have anything specific to recommend. Thankfully, the swelling is mostly gone now. Here are pictures of his before and x-rays if you want to see them. Feel free to not look if you don't want to see them :-)

Before

Name:	IMG_2384.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	104168

X-ray from side (before left, 1 week later right)

Name:	X-ray 1.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	104167
        Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
        ds 23, graduated
        dd 15, 9th Grade
        dd 12, 6th Grade
        ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Whoa. That’s no joke. One of those moments you struggle to keep it together, I imagine, so your child doesn’t freak out. Praise God for casts!

Prayers for healing, part 2!

AMDG,
          Sarah
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 7.5
          DD, 5.5
          +DS+
          DS, 18 months

Comment

Whoa. That’s no joke. One of those moments you struggle to keep it together, I imagine, so your child doesn’t freak out. Praise God for casts!

Prayers for healing, part 2!

AMDG,
            Sarah
            That's for sure!! I sat in the back holding his arm and trying to keep him distracted for the 1 hour 10 minute drive to the hospital...the longest car ride ever! I would have called an ambulance, but they would have taken him to a local hospital instead of Children's Hospital, and there was no way I was going to take him anywhere but Children's! The Lord really took care of him though. There were two people ahead of us in line, but they saw us and started getting a room ready for him. Once in the back, they brought Ortho in right away and put him to first on the list for sedation. Within 3 hours of it being broken, it was set...and that included the 1 hour 10 minute car ride. They said that if we had called an ambulance, the best case scenario would have been a delay in treatment (if they decided it was too much for them and transported him to Children's Hospital), and additional trauma (if they tried to set it but couldn't and then transported him to Children's). So, despite the horror of it all, there were so many blessings. Not the least of which was the fact that he did not have any anxiety or selective muteness, which is such a miracle!! And, no regression despite what was probably the ultimate test. I can't wait to see his Pediatrician at his physical this summer. She has been his Ped from the beginning and will be so proud of him!!

Anyway, the extent of the injury is why I want to be as proactive as possible. I'm going to try Cheryl Swope's suggestion of trying to make my own to see if those suggested would work before buying them. Thank you for your prayers <3
            Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
            ds 23, graduated
            dd 15, 9th Grade
            dd 12, 6th Grade
            ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Sure thing!

Our dd who had her leg broken by the bicycle is our one who has the hardest reactions to things...but she can be such a surprising champ with the occasion presents itself. I really don't get it all the time - how little things can be such a difficult thing to handle, but then the really big things you think would send them over the edge they handle with no problem. Always an adventure! So glad he kept it together.

She was four when it happened...broke her tibia clear through. Thankfully, the fibula splinted it so that was not displaced. She was in a boot for 6 weeks, and it took another full 6 weeks to get her to walk normally on it. Docs said if it had happened to an adult, it would have been months in a cast, and then nearly a year of rehab. Kids are *literally* amazing.

Speedy healing!
              AMDG,
              Sarah
              DS, 16
              DD, 14
              DD, 12
              DD, 10
              DD, 7.5
              DD, 5.5
              +DS+
              DS, 18 months

Comment

Sure thing!

Our dd who had her leg broken by the bicycle is our one who has the hardest reactions to things...but she can be such a surprising champ with the occasion presents itself. I really don't get it all the time - how little things can be such a difficult thing to handle, but then the really big things you think would send them over the edge they handle with no problem. Always an adventure! So glad he kept it together.

She was four when it happened...broke her tibia clear through. Thankfully, the fibula splinted it so that was not displaced. She was in a boot for 6 weeks, and it took another full 6 weeks to get her to walk normally on it. Docs said if it had happened to an adult, it would have been months in a cast, and then nearly a year of rehab. Kids are *literally* amazing.

Speedy healing!
                AMDG,
                Sarah
                Wow! Yeah, it's a blessing that they can heal so fast! At the 1 week appointment they said that the break in his elbow was already almost healed :-O In an adult, his break would have automatically been surgery. Even for him, they thought that it might be, and it was so bad that they admitted him even after they were able to set it.
                Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
                ds 23, graduated
                dd 15, 9th Grade
                dd 12, 6th Grade
                ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
                  Wow! Yeah, it's a blessing that they can heal so fast! At the 1 week appointment they said that the break in his elbow was already almost healed :-O In an adult, his break would have automatically been surgery. Even for him, they thought that it might be, and it was so bad that they admitted him even after they were able to set it.
                  And he was just walking???

Sounds like something I would do! 😆

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  DS, 16
                  DD, 14
                  DD, 12
                  DD, 10
                  DD, 7.5
                  DD, 5.5
                  +DS+
                  DS, 18 months

Comment

And he was just walking???

Sounds like something I would do! 😆

AMDG,
                    Sarah
                    Yep, tripped while walking and fell onto the concrete patio. I guess he must have just hit his arm the right (wrong) way. Go figure, LOL! I was going to ban him from running ever again (when I assumed that he must have been running, but one of the older children saw it happen and told us what happened), but I do have to let him walk ;-)
                    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
                    ds 23, graduated
                    dd 15, 9th Grade
                    dd 12, 6th Grade
                    ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Oh man. Wishing rubber suits and helmets were standard apparel!

Especially when they hit the driving stage...which is where we are for the first time.

Hoping this is your one and only break for a good long while!

AMDG,
                      Sarah
                      DS, 16
                      DD, 14
                      DD, 12
                      DD, 10
                      DD, 7.5
                      DD, 5.5
                      +DS+
                      DS, 18 months

Comment

Oh man. Wishing rubber suits and helmets were standard apparel!

Especially when they hit the driving stage...which is where we are for the first time.

Hoping this is your one and only break for a good long while!

AMDG,
                        Sarah
                        Yeah, I threatened him with a bubble wrap suit, LOL! My two oldest drive. That was a transition, especially how much car insurance went up :-O They drive older vehicles, which helps. But, it's so expensive to insure young men! Our oldest has paid his own insurance for a while now, so that helps. We had them take the AAA driving course, which was excellent and easier on my nerves ;-) Our oldest daughter will never be able to drive (her vision isn't good enough), so it will be a while before we have another driver.
                        Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
                        ds 23, graduated
                        dd 15, 9th Grade
                        dd 12, 6th Grade
                        ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

I am trying to get used to it. It’s time after all, and she’s handled it really well. It’s just hard to believe we are “there,” you know? Went by so fast...

Have a great rest of your summer evening! Nice “chatting” with you today!

AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          DS, 16
                          DD, 14
                          DD, 12
                          DD, 10
                          DD, 7.5
                          DD, 5.5
                          +DS+
                          DS, 18 months

Comment

My daughter broke her dominant elbow last year. I feel your hurt as a mom and hope your son is doing better. And isn’t it frustrating with the Dr gives a suggestion like keep practicing writing with no tangible idea of how to do it?!?

For the pencil grip, would these work: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Abilitati...&wl13=&veh=sem

Or would using some foam tubing around the pencil help:
                            https://www.walmart.com/ip/DMI-Close...&wl13=&veh=sem

Slightly off topic, we’ve used adaptive utensils with my son with fine motor needs. They might be helpful too.

Praying for swift healing!
                            Heidi

2018-19
                            dd- 3m
                            ds- SC 1
                            dd- SC B

Comment

Prayers for quick healing for him!! My daughter went through an almost identical break last year and was in a cast for 16 weeks just like that one around the palm. There were several different evolutions of it though, I think it was recasted 4 times, and with each one we lost some bulk and she became more comfortable in it until by the end it was just a forearm cast and she was able to do some writing for her chess games independently. I never made her write for school because I was able to do everything through discussion, but it threw a wrench in our year!! We never got OT, but I was going to pursue it if we weren't able to get her writing back where it was.

I will say, when it finally came off (a year ago last month) I bought the cursive practice sheets and the SmartWrite software and had her practice from the beginning. Her handwriting is now just as nice if not nicer than it was before so there is hope after!! We just worked on small hand movements, flexing fingers, playdough, to keep her fingers strong and mobile.
                              ~Michelle

DD 10 (MP 5)
                              DS 8 (MP 4)
                              DS 2 - board books and causing chaos
                              DD Born 6/27/18

Comment

Working...
                              X