English grammar recitation flashcards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: English grammar recitation flashcards

I have been quiet on this post, but I am filled to the brim with excitement over this. I have been making my own for 3 years now (we did EGR I over 2 years). I used the Review Box version of the EGR questions, but they had several typos. I *always* use my EGR flash cards during our English period of the day. My 10 yo can instantly recall what a participle is, how to form it, and parse it, too. I tell him that he knows more English grammar than most 10th grade PS students, which makes him proud.

I was fretting a bit about making them for ERG III, so now I will simply plop them into my cart. No need to track down more yellow index cards to try to match the color of my homemade set. I am stoked.

On a related note, Tanya and the minions really need to do the CC Figures of Description on cards. Like, for real. Somehow I 100% missed that these Greek terms were to be memorized until we were 70% of the way through Narrative. We've been "cram memorizing" ever since. A handy little set, sold with Fable or Narrative, would have been just the ticket.

Jen
    DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 11 yrs, 6M: complete!

All homeschooled.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen (formerly) in Japan View Post
      On a related note, Tanya and the minions really need to do the CC Figures of Description on cards. Like, for real. Somehow I 100% missed that these Greek terms were to be memorized until we were 70% of the way through Narrative. We've been "cram memorizing" ever since.
      Jen, there's no need to cram! The Greek terms do not have to be memorized. See Tanya's post from another thread:

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      I think figures of description flashcards would be fine to make and use. But I do want to stress that knowing the big Greek name for the figures isn't really the point. Students can continue to look them up as needed. The real goal is for them to be able to use them in their writing. The actual note in Lesson 13 is a note for the teacher, telling you that it will help you to teach if you are fluent in these figures. That points back to the teacher note under #7: Paraphrase: Part 2 when it tells you to "brainstorm examples." It's going to be easier to brainstorm as a teacher if you know the figures. Just like it is easier to teach Latin if you know Latin. But that's the ideal world. I know that you can't be fluent in everything. So using flashcards is fine for your student to reference the figures. The students shouldn't be required to call them up randomly. Using a flashcard to help them is fine. The best use of the student's time is practicing writing with the figures.

Tanya
      Michael
      Memoria Press

Comment

Okkkaaayyyyy.... That is going to make a certain 5th grader happy. He has 5 days of the 5th grade left. Anything we can check off as "done" is welcome right now.

Thanks, Michael!

Jen
        DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 11 yrs, 6M: complete!

All homeschooled.

Comment

Working...
        X