Long-term Literature Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long-term Literature Question

My oldest will be in Grade 7 next year (gosh where does time go?). We have been working at the accelerated pace for quite a few years now and it has been fine, although a lot of work. Now that she is approaching the high school years I have been thinking about the trajectory of her Literature Studies. If we continue at our current pace she will be studying:

Grade 7 - Wind in the Willows, Tom Sayer, As you Like It, Treasure Island
    Grade 8- Beowulf, Henry V, Canterbury Tales, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
    Grade 9 - The Scarlet Letter, Julius Caesar, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Romeo and Juliet

While this is fine in terms of her reading level and abilities, I have other concerns. My first is what is planned for the 10, 11, and 12 grades? Even if guides are printed in the future, this will leave my daughter without an English Credit (although I could add an English Writing course). I don't know of many universities that accept grade 8 classes as credits. Personally, I think that the accelerated grade 8 books are high school level (especially considering high school English classes here read one, usually terrible, book per year). It is difficult to make this decision without knowing what is in the works for the rest of the high school levels. So, my question is whether we should just keep plugging away at what we are doing and just trust and wait for the rest of MPs high school lit to be developed, or slow down and do the Grade 8A Literature selections in Grade 9? I know it seems so far away, but if we slow down it will change what we decide to do next year. Thank you.
    Catherine

Dd - 13 - 8A
    Dd - 11 - 6A

Re: Long-term Literature Question

Hello.

The 10A literature year is Dante's Divine Comedy, and that is ready to go. We are still developing 11th-12th grade guides, but we have a bunch of guides recently published or close to publication, so there are no worries! We will have a full literature curriculum that will have your student totally prepared for college literature.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      Hello.

The 10A literature year is Dante's Divine Comedy, and that is ready to go. We are still developing 11th-12th grade guides, but we have a bunch of guides recently published or close to publication, so there are no worries! We will have a full literature curriculum that will have your student totally prepared for college literature.

Tanya
      I am very glad to hear that there are new guides close to publication. My other question, though, is what does an accelerated student study for English Literature in their last year, because technically they will be doing the 12th grade lit selections in grade 11? Maybe an AP course? It is so far away, but I like to give these things some thought, as I don't want to end up changing curriculum part way through our high school years.

I noticed that the format and method has changed in the American Short Stories and Poetry guide and this seems to be the method used for the upper level lit guides. I am guessing that this is to reflect the logic stage. Will the next stage - rhetorical - be reflected in a change in upper level high school years also?
      Catherine

Dd - 13 - 8A
      Dd - 11 - 6A

Comment

We will have plenty of extra study guides since we are developing them for HLS, and the school is also on the accelerated plan. For senior year, our students are reading King Lear, Anna Karenina, The Great Gatsby, and Hamlet (which study guide is being formatted now). And, actually, HLS students don't read Dante until 11th grade now. I forgot that we moved it up. For 10th, they are doing Jane Eyre (now available), Tale of Two Cities (going to the printer in the next couple of days), Henry V (available now), and Henry IV Part I (being written now). They also complete British poetry year 3, which is just titled Poetry.

I'll be glad when all of this is developed so that we can nail it down and match what HLS is doing. We're on the way to that!

Tanya

Comment

I forgot to answer your other question. You are right that the study guides change in format for the upper school. At this time, we are starting to prepare students for college by asking them to think more abstractly. We do continue to ask "grammar stage" questions. But we have added Socratic Discussion Questions and the concept of the Central One Idea (What is the author trying to say? What is the author's central one idea?). We have also started formatting them so that the student book is non-consumable. We are attempting to train students to write their notes on paper rather than in a study guide.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
            I forgot to answer your other question. You are right that the study guides change in format for the upper school. At this time, we are starting to prepare students for college by asking them to think more abstractly. We do continue to ask "grammar stage" questions. But we have added Socratic Discussion Questions and the concept of the Central One Idea (What is the author trying to say? What is the author's central one idea?). We have also started formatting them so that the student book is non-consumable. We are attempting to train students to write their notes on paper rather than in a study guide.

Tanya
            Excellent! That answers my questions. I will be patient.
            Catherine

Dd - 13 - 8A
            Dd - 11 - 6A

Comment

Working...
            X