Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd Grade Latin/Lit "Co-op"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    2nd Grade Latin/Lit "Co-op"

    A friend and I (and I am looking to recruit at least 1 more person) are considering working together for Latin and Literature (maybe the enrichment as well). How would this work? I can figure out Latin (and enrichment), but the literature? I'm guessing the bulk of the week is done together, but then what is done during the remainder of the week?
    Christine

    (2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

    Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

    #2
    Re: 2nd Grade Latin/Lit "Co-op"

    Part of the time at home would be spent reading and re-reading. I would say some reading would be done in class but all the pre-reading phonic work would be done during the co-op as well as the comprehension questions.

    Blessings,
    Michelle T

    Comment


      #3
      Re: 2nd Grade Latin/Lit "Co-op"

      Christine,
      For how many hours would you plan to meet? And would that include sharing a lunch together? Do you have a day of the week in mind?

      That sounds like a lovely study day to share together!
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

      2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
      DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
      DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
      DD 7th • HLN & Home
      DS 4th • HLN & Home
      Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; Memoria College

      Teaching TFL and co-directing @
      Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

      Comment


        #4
        Re: 2nd Grade Latin/Lit "Co-op"

        Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
        Christine,
        For how many hours would you plan to meet? And would that include sharing a lunch together? Do you have a day of the week in mind?

        That sounds like a lovely study day to share together!
        It will be a little nutty! . We are just exploring ideas at the moment. Latin is for sure. Her daughter will be 10 this summer, but special needs (my daughter will be 9) (So we will be doing “SC4” really but those two items = MP2).

        She is such a beautiful person. She and her husband have fostered to adopt 6 special needs children. She has graduated two children already, but this is her first year with just “the littles”. (Who are not so little anymore).

        Her daughter and my daughter would be the only ones doing the Latin and possibly literature. Her daughter decodes well, but struggles with comprehension. My daughter comprehends well, but struggles with decoding. I thought the discussion and reading together (instead of just mom) might be nice for both girls. It will not be easy though. We will also have 5 boys ages 5-8, along with my 5 year old daughter. My home can accommodate this and we really have two “reading groups” with the 6 kids. One mom would be with the older girls, while the other mom does reading instruction/enrichment with the others. I have the Prima DVD, so Mrs. Leah Lowe will do the Latin teaching! . I plan to work with the boys during this time. (They need some extra help with phonics and I have lots of tools!). There is an area the girls can go and not be disturbed.

        We really have all the time in the world.. ha! Seriously, I was considering Monday. Tuesday is an option, but we would only have from 8:30-11.

        If we do Monday, we might be able to all do the K enrichment? If we do Tuesday, probably just the Latin and Literature. Again, just not sure what to cover with the literature.
        Christine

        (2021/2022)
        DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
        DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
        DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

        Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

        Comment


          #5
          Re: 2nd Grade Latin/Lit "Co-op"

          Could you simply do that day's Lit. lesson in the guides (not sure if they match exactly)? For example, just do whatever is scheduled for Monday or Tuesday, then each of you homeschool the other four days according to the plans? Reading aloud together and discussing can be much better in a little group for some students. Even one extra student changes the atmosphere from "just me and mom" to a discussion. It sound like it will be a little nutty (haha!), and that it will be fabulous. ;-)
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

          2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
          DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
          DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
          DD 7th • HLN & Home
          DS 4th • HLN & Home
          Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; Memoria College

          Teaching TFL and co-directing @
          Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

          Comment


            #6
            Re: 2nd Grade Latin/Lit "Co-op"

            Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
            Could you simply do that day's Lit. lesson in the guides (not sure if they match exactly)? For example, just do whatever is scheduled for Monday or Tuesday, then each of you homeschool the other four days according to the plans? Reading aloud together and discussing can be much better in a little group for some students. Even one extra student changes the atmosphere from "just me and mom" to a discussion. It sound like it will be a little nutty (haha!), and that it will be fabulous. ;-)
            The simply classical plans spread things out quite well, and only over 4 days, instead of 5.(day 5 is re-reading the selections from the week) I think we could at least do the day of the week we decide to meet on and then the pre-reading activities for the next section. I know the other mom will be more successful with less work for "HER" to do at home during the week.

            How is it done in your cottage school? What do the students do at home during the rest of the week?
            Christine

            (2021/2022)
            DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
            DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
            DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

            Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

            Comment


              #7
              Re: 2nd Grade Latin/Lit "Co-op"

              Originally posted by howiecram View Post

              How is it done in your cottage school? What do the students do at home during the rest of the week?
              The second grade class will simply do all the scheduled Monday work, since that is the day we meet. Parents will be responsible to open and go with Tuesday through Friday's work at home directly from the curriculum guide. At HLN we do the entire week's lit and enrichment (the bottom row--picture book, music, poetry, etc.) as well, but that wouldn't need to be a goal of yours unless you wanted it to. Our parents are welcome to double dip on that material at home, but it's not required. We do have them go over things like poetry recitation, art, music, and regular recitation at home. If you'll open your two page spread in your second grade curriculum guide, we do an "L" -- the Monday column top to bottom and the bottom row, L to R. We do meet from 8 to 3:30 though. Our goal is for parents to open and go on Tuesday morning without having to backtrack into the Monday column for work. Parents are responsible for teaching everything that's not in our "L."

              Since you have only four days of scheduled work and only a few families to consider, you could plan to do at least one day's work plus whatever else you had time for, adjusting each week as needed and as you find your groove.

              Does my at cottage school/at home description make sense? This method only works if everyone in the room is using the same guide.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

              2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
              DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
              DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
              DD 7th • HLN & Home
              DS 4th • HLN & Home
              Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; Memoria College

              Teaching TFL and co-directing @
              Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

              Comment


                #8
                Re: 2nd Grade Latin/Lit "Co-op"

                Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                The second grade class will simply do all the scheduled Monday work, since that is the day we meet. Parents will be responsible to open and go with Tuesday through Friday's work at home directly from the curriculum guide. At HLN we do the entire week's lit and enrichment (the bottom row--picture book, music, poetry, etc.) as well, but that wouldn't need to be a goal of yours unless you wanted it to. Our parents are welcome to double dip on that material at home, but it's not required. We do have them go over things like poetry recitation, art, music, and regular recitation at home. If you'll open your two page spread in your second grade curriculum guide, we do an "L" -- the Monday column top to bottom and the bottom row, L to R. We do meet from 8 to 3:30 though. Our goal is for parents to open and go on Tuesday morning without having to backtrack into the Monday column for work. Parents are responsible for teaching everything that's not in our "L."

                Since you have only four days of scheduled work and only a few families to consider, you could plan to do at least one day's work plus whatever else you had time for, adjusting each week as needed and as you find your groove.

                Does my at cottage school/at home description make sense? This method only works if everyone in the room is using the same guide.
                Makes total sense!
                Christine

                (2021/2022)
                DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
                DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
                DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

                Previous Years
                DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
                DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

                Comment

                Working...
                X