Summer Reading for Rising Second Grader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Reading for Rising Second Grader

My daughter will be finishing up first grade and I’d like to keep reading over the summer with her. I’m wondering if she could read the books from JR K. I own them all and still have my curriculum manual so we could discuss what’s she’s reading. We might even be able to do an accompanying craft, something that gets skipped often during the school year. Should she be able to read most of them after completing First Grade?
    Joyfully, Courtney
    DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Re: Summer Reading for Rising Second Grader

She certainly could be able to read those Jr. K read aloud books! That is a great place to start! I would look at the Summer Reading List (Supplemental) on the Highland Latin School website as well. There the books are listed with lexile scores to aide in placement.

Blessings,
    Michelle

Comment

I found the page Michelle was talking about! (I hope) The Summer/Supplemental Reading List for HLS.

ETA: I know there are so many lists around (Good Books, Ambleside, ...): one other I really like to refer to is the Adams Traditional Academy list.
      serendipitous journey
      Last edited by serendipitous journey; 05-09-2018, 06:36 PM.
      Ana, mama to
      ds A, 15 yo
      ds N, 10 yo

Comment

Thank you for posting that link!

Blessings,
        Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
          She certainly could be able to read those Jr. K read aloud books! That is a great place to start! I would look at the Summer Reading List (Supplemental) on the Highland Latin School website as well. There the books are listed with lexile scores to aide in placement.

Blessings,
          Michelle
          Thanks, Michelle! How do I determine her Lexile score?
          Joyfully, Courtney
          DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

Originally posted by serendipitous journey View Post
            I found the page Michelle was talking about! (I hope) The Summer/Supplemental Reading List for HLS.

ETA: I know there are so many lists around (Good Books, Ambleside, ...): one other I really like to refer to is the Adams Traditional Academy list.
            Thanks, Ana!
            Joyfully, Courtney
            DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

To determine her level, I would take the list to my library and have her try to read books at the lower end of where you think she can read. Her starting level would be books she can read without too much stopping to decode. Then check out other books around that same level.

Blessings,
              Michelle T

Comment

Thanks again!
                Joyfully, Courtney
                DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

Working...
                X