• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nature’s Beautiful Order

Any reviews on this?

Re: Nature’s Beautiful Order

Originally posted by robomom11 View Post
    Any reviews on this?
    I keep hoping we’ll be able to do it one summer! I can definitely vouch for the authors though. They were two of my favorite professors in college.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
    DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD10: SC3
    DD7: MPK

Comment

We did it. My son thought it was great. The first section explaining the purpose of studying nature was very philosophical, which was a good challenge for a 12 year old. So there was a bit of grumbling during it, but once past it, he realized it was really valuable. (As with most things and boys, it seems!)

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

My daughter is 13 and just started the book. It is a very challenging book, and I think we'll have to hold off on it for awhile simply because, although the anatomical descriptions are very detailed, it is hard to us to picture it all. For example, there is are extremely detailed descriptions of the cuttlefish that include, necessarily, a lot of previously unencountered vocabulary. There are no illustrations at all to show the structure of these living things to help put it all together. I ended up googling images of the animals, but even then it was hard to find any images that were as detailed as the descriptions in the book. The book seems very advanced to me, and like it needs to be accompanied by something else that would help teacher and student put it all together.
        Kristen

DD 16
        DD 14
        DS 12
        DS 9

Comment

Kristen,
          We did end up finding a diagram of a cuttlefish, but I did not save the link, unfortunately. There was definitely some background research we had to do alongside, but as my kids have gotten older, they tend to always have questions that go beyond the scope of the book so it feels like we are always on Wikipedia or some such thing!

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
          DS, 17
          DD, 15
          DD, 13
          DD, 11
          DD, 9
          DD, 7
          +DS+