TFL lesson 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TFL lesson 23

Can you please explain number 6 on worksheet 6? We don't understand why the translation of "struo" in the purpose clause would be "struant."
    Thanks!
    Kristin
    Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
    DD18; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
    DD16; Junior

Re: TFL lesson 23

Originally posted by klwalukas View Post
    Can you please explain number 6 on worksheet 6? We don't understand why the translation of "struo" in the purpose clause would be "struant."
    Thanks!
    Kristin
    Good morning,

There are several steps to get from struo to struant.

1. Struo is in a purpose clause, so it must be subjunctive. (Student Text Lesson 23, last bullet on p. 72)
    2. The main clause verb is in the future tense, so the purpose clause verb will be in the present tense. (Lesson 23, 2nd bullet on p. 73)
    3. The main clause talks about giving wood to them, so the subject of struo will be they (3rd-person plural).
    4. Putting it all together, the 3rd-person plural, present subjunctive of struo strĂșere is struant.

Does that help? If not, please let me know!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you, that helps. I think what we forgot is that the "u" in struo is part of the stem and the vowel modified is directly before the personal ending, which in this case is an "i." Is that right?
      Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
      DD18; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
      DD16; Junior

Comment

Originally posted by klwalukas View Post
        Thank you, that helps. I think what we forgot is that the "u" in struo is part of the stem and the vowel modified is directly before the personal ending, which in this case is an "i." Is that right?
        Correct. The u is part of the stem and does not change. Only the vowel right before the personal ending changes. Thus struit becomes struat. Now, in struunt the second u is NOT part of the stem and does change: struant.

These little vowel changes seem so small, but are similar to changes in English such as run to ran or man to men.
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
        X