TFL Lesson XX question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TFL Lesson XX question

How can we tell whether to translate using the subjunctive active or the hortatory subjunctive? In the answer key for the translation section of quiz 20, the answers for 2-6 all seem to be hortatory, but my student translated them all in the present active subjunctive. For example "mittamus" is translated as "let us send" in my key, but my student translated it as "we may send." I don't know how to tell the difference, or if there even is one, between these translations.
    Thanks for your help!
    Kristin
    Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
    DD18; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
    DD16; Junior

Re: TFL Lesson XX question

Originally posted by klwalukas View Post
    How can we tell whether to translate using the subjunctive active or the hortatory subjunctive? In the answer key for the translation section of quiz 20, the answers for 2-6 all seem to be hortatory, but my student translated them all in the present active subjunctive. For example "mittamus" is translated as "let us send" in my key, but my student translated it as "we may send." I don't know how to tell the difference, or if there even is one, between these translations.
    Thanks for your help!
    Kristin
    The "may, might, may have, might have" translation is used in recitation, but the actual translation of the subjunctive will always depend on the context. Thus, if the present subjunctive occurs by itself in a main clause, it is much more likely to be translated by the Hortatory Subjunctive (Lesson 20) or Deliberative Subjunctive (Lessons 21-22). However, I can see how your daughter might have treated this section as a Form Drill and used the simple "may" translation. Thus, I would not mark her wrong, but I would not let her use that translation on future quizzes unless it makes sense in context. (As an FYI, that translation will be used when she learns purpose clauses beginning in Lesson 23.)

Does that help?
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Re: TFL Lesson XX question

Yes, that helps!
      Thank you!
      Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
      DD18; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
      DD16; Junior

Comment

Working...
      X